1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kasper Schmeichel

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Jul 17, 2024.

Discuss Kasper Schmeichel in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Supposedly Peter will be in the Celtic end for Dortmund. :giggle1:

MynameisEarl likes this.
  2. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    One thing we can all agree on - every time he's got a ball at his feet, no-one gets nervous + a very good distribution, too.

AdamRS, McChiellini.., Twisty and 4 others like this.
  3. Mo-Neill12

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson + Agathe
    This is the most composed we’ve been playing out from the back that I can remember, and this guy coming in has been pivotal to it.

MynameisEarl and Twisty like this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    But how can you know when we've literally only seen him make 1 save worth talking about?

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's a big plus to be sure; but the same is also true of Scott Bain. So far, he's made 1 save that Bain wouldn't have made.

6. PaddyJamieson

Why do you not include friendlies, out of interest? He looked top class against City and Chelsea and showed in those games what he's capable of. I doubt the players were trying any less to score just because it was a friendly - making big saves against Haaland that show your stature, speed off the line etc. is representative of something, friendly or not.

He's done absolutely nothing wrong so far, has looked unbelievably assured, brilliant with the ball at his feet, and has shown enough (for me) that he'll come up with big saves when required.

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's miles better with his feet than Bain.

You can reasonably disregard friendlies for their results, but he showed in those what he's still capable of. How can you just ignore that?

Mo-Neill12 likes this.
  8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’m with you on this regarding his saves, but that’s also a compliment to how well the defence have been playing. However his distribution is the best I’ve seen from a Celtic keeper. Just hope age related decline doesn’t become overly noticeable whilst he’s here. He noticeably doesn’t get to ground as quickly as he used to.

Random Review likes this.
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I just don't judge players on friendlies in general. We all know that competitive games against Manchester City and Chelsea would be very different. He's done nothing wrong, I agree. I'm not saying that he's not as good as you are all saying; I'm saying we can't know.

We can revisit this after the trips to Germany and Italy: we'll absolutely know after that.

Zander likes this.
  10. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not going to go overboard and claim he's this or that but he has came at the right time for us and looks to give us everything we need in a keeper, playing the way BR wants us to.

His distribution and awareness are top notch. A different keeper and games like last night are completely different. Even when he's not pulling off saves, he's making us a far better team.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Even the wee one where he passed to McGregor when 2 attackers were either side of him, right down the middle first half. No the hardest past, but a lot of our keeps down the years you'd be * it and shouting go long..

Does it with ease. As mentioned, I've never been worried once since he's been in the sticks with our passing about at the back..

Talk about his lack of saves. OK, but that's testament to how well we're playing as a team, schmeichel included in that we've got most of the ball....playing from the back and haven't been peppered by anyone..

He's made big saves from his first pre season game and some crucial ones against the huns, as well as the diets at 1 nil and a few other easier ones. Save hands. Commands his box. Spreads his self excellently..

Top top keeper and you can see he's loving it..

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I still trust him to make big saves if called upon. He's shown that when tested already.

It's not his fault we are playing brilliantly and dominating sides.

Dortmund and Atalanta he will get to make a few...I've no doubt! We shouldn't be wishing foe that though.

Completely agree that his distribution and calmness on the ball is huge and elevates us as a team and a unit. They pressed us one point last night with 2 men rushing on him and he calmly strokes the ball through the middle of them to mcrgegor who's then in acres of space.

We need to be hoping that Sinisalo can follow that kind of play.

13. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

14. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Speaks volumes that we are having discussions about him soon getting the oppurtunity to pull of a save about 6 weeks into the season

Greatest Celtic side since MON era

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

monkeynuts likes this.
  15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What you're talking about is seeing waiting to see if he's the perfect goalkeeper. In reality he's already proved he's at least very good. Totally unfair to hold off praising him until he plays x-amount of games against x-level teams. And completely unrealistic.

But even if you're adamant that he can't be judged due to a lack of 'test' (conceded one goal domestically, zero against huns)...take saves out the equation, literally everything else has been top class. It's a ridiculous argument.

16. Bratfurdbhoy1

This guy is a quality keeper. No debate. Another 12 month would be great.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not really, mate. Saves are a goalkeeper's bread and butter; it's nothing to do with perfection. And if, like me, you judge a player by what he does in competitive games at Celtic, then there's simply not enough information to judge him on.

He's had exactly one opportunity to make a save that Scott Bain wouldn't have made and, to be fair, he made it well; I just don't see how people are extrapolating so much from a single data point.

Now he might well be as good as you're all saying. All I'm saying is that we can't know that yet but that we will certainly know after playing Dortmund and Atalanta.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's not some unknown quantity mate, he's Kasper Schmeichel, by all accounts he was good for Anderlecht last season and did well at the Euros. He's clearly still a good shotstopper.

bigmac7288 likes this.
  19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's that ridiculous it's no even worth going round in circles about it mate. It's complete gibberish :giggle1:

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be honest, mate, you haven't made a single substantive argument against my point. You've just said that my point is "ridiculous" and "gibberish"; but those aren't arguments. Unless and until you actually address my point, there seems little reason for me to take your opinion seriously.

Callum McGregor likes this.