1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Still can't bring myself to sing his song. Maybe if we reach the playoffs. :56:

Twisty and elbhoydo like this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has joked he wants the Champions League to end NOW for Celtic to face Bayern Munich in the final.

The Hoops boss watched as his side ripped Slovan Bratislava apart in front of a packed out house in a 5-1 thrashing. There were five different scorers in Liam Scales, Kyogo, Arne Engels, Daizen Maeda and Adam Idah and the manager was chuffed with how his stars performed. Rodgers claims he could feel before kick-off that there was a special evening ahead with the atmosphere rocking from the get-go.

And after his side put their foes to the sword in a high-scoring affair, the Northern Irishman pointed to the table where Celts sit second early doors behind Munich who destroyed Dinamo Zagreb 9-2 in last night's opening fixture

Rodgers chuckled: "Yeah the competition stops now, we play Bayern Munich in the final! But it was a great night for everyone, I thought you just sensed it before the game

The feeling in the crowd. I'm so proud of the team, the intensity we played with and without the ball was so good. It was a great night."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 11:50 PM
    Crilly and Waiting For An Alibi like this.
  3. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Hahhahahahhha he cracks himself up. Love him

charlietully and McChiellini.. like this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I can't praise him enough at the moment tbh.

Tactically he has us purring. Like if you take the recent results aside and even were to go proper celtic by numbers on this * you'd notice so much. Sadly I don't have the time..but it's pretty clear we are tighter as a unit whilst still being able to be free flowing in attack.

You see that snippet above from his interview talking about tweaks made at HT etc. He's constantly analysing the game and most importantly knows when to make the changes. Something I don't think he gets anywhere near enough credit for. He's matured massively and brought everything he's learned down south in his second spell with him.

I said also in the Maeda thread there but he is improving every single player. Maeda, Scales, Kuhn, Taylor, go back to MOR last season.

Seen a lot of people compare him with ange but for me it's a non contest in terms of tactics and player development. I think this season will blow anything on recent memory out the water.

Not saying there won't be bumps this season.. there always is. However, he deserves huge, HUGE credit.

5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

He’s found his “mojo” again.

Wont lie when I feel like he was just going through the motions last season, Feel like he’s zoned back into being a manager this season.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think Joe Harts comments tonight show that the first 6 months or so he clearly didn't want to rock the boat too much and looked to ease his way back in.

It took a lot for him to come back here imo. Regardless of the money he will be getting etc let's park tuat as he'd easily get more elsewhere!

To come back after how his departure went down and to take on the task of replacing a treble winning manager took baws. We are seeing his team now.

I maintained when he returned we couldn't do any better than him and maintained at the end of the season that I don't think any other manager got us through the same spells last year. Need to remember we still finished the season with a double, 93 points or so in the league and IMO some minor improvement in Europe.

I get that people will still no doubt resent him but honestly, I dunno how you can. Might be a bit David Brent at times but he's oor David Brent.

saltire78, Jeannie960, mayo and 4 others like this.
  7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I backed him as a coach from the day he came back; but he has surprised me as a person TBH. Like you, I think he could be earning more money elsewhere and like you, I think he showed real courage to come back. Then, when he was badly let down by last summer's transfers and didn't have enough time to get his ideas across due to the Australia thing, we really made last season harder for him than it needed to be.

He got us through it (I agree that most managers wouldn't have), didn't throw the toys out when he wasn't getting much love, didn't panic when things weren't going well. He must be a Celtic fan to put himself through all that for less money than he could get in Saudi.

8. PaddyJoe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Luke McCowan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    A few weeks ago, not sure what match it was now, could have been v sevco.

3-0 up & only a few mins left to play & Brendan raging & players arguing over a throw in.

4-1 up tonight similar desire.

When you see that ruthless winning mentality, you know the core is right.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  9. PaddyJoe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Luke McCowan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Understand the resentment of some , as I have little time for anyone who leaves Celtic just for money.

None of us will likely know the full story.
    Regardless, its a fact no matter how thin the mixture there's always at least 2 sides to an omlette.
    Very dissapointed but personally never felt that resentment with him, think he was at best naively encouraged & allowed to look sideways by most likely Peter Lawell.

Personally feel , John McGinn not being snapped up before villa came in, was a big let down for him, a lack of ambition shown by board /Lawell. PL who is essentially an accountant, a Good one maybe very good one but an accountant.

Anyway Delighted for Brendan & Celtic.

No great time for him, but in respect well done to Dermot Desmond who by press accounts was the driving force getting Brendan back.

constant likes this.
  10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

11. murphy88

Where’s that wee snivelling weasel Patrick Bateman.

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye, I was one of them who resented him, majorly. Absolutely in love again now :giggle1:

Don’t even think he’s been giving the usual “Brent” sound bites, seems a much more serious and focused manager this time round.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's got us playing on a different level..

We just need to be a bit more clinical in our remaining CL matches as we won't get the chances we did last night.

Rydo1888*, Jeannie960, Crilly and 2 others like this.
  14. JamesM09

You knew at HT he was going to make the right adjustment and say the right thing to turn that first half into a rout.

Like 100% confidence.

In the past we’ve had managers that would go into that HT and not know what to do and the opposition manager would shift things about and come back at us, but you knew that wouldn’t happen last night.

This is how it should always be for us. You get a good manager in and you back him and this is what you get. We did it with Ange and we are finally doing it now with Rodgers.

Rydo1888* and murphy88 like this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Killed the room stone dead as well :56:

16. Crilly Hakuhna matata

What a guy man. He has us off to a flyer so far aswell.
    That result really settles the players nerves now for the CL campaign. Our biggest test yet this season and we won 5-1

17. JamesM09

100% wasn’t right last season. I think the transfer window * him off and he felt he was here to babysit for a couple of seasons.

Something seemed to change around January. I think he’s went to the folk in charge and just said things need to change and they’ve backed him, especially by chucking Lawwell.

The renewed champions league has probably helped energise him too.

Twisty, NomDePlum and Doogs. like this.
  18. murphy88

Say it again. He is the best manager we could hope for. We’re just lucky that he is a fan, because I think deep down that’s why he came back. Ange’s swashbuckling style was good for domestic football, but Rodgers is absolutely streets ahead of him tactically in my opinion. A bit of backing, a level of ambition and look what can happen. Back this man and keep him here for many years to come.

Rydo1888*, AdamRS, cammy07 and 2 others like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Notice he said that he wants a few more in the level of Engels to evolve.

Can see us spending a bit in January too.

Rydo1888* and Random Review like this.
  20. Mo-Neill12

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson + Agathe