1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like Celtic to move to a superleague?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Skelleto, Sep 11, 2024.

Discuss Would you like Celtic to move to a superleague? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. henriks tongue

No, no, no a million times no.
    Superleague is driven only by cash and will become a series of meaningless pay per view exhibition matches.
    It's like signing up for LIV golf.
    IF we do scrape in on a legacy/pity invite, they can kick us out or relegate us into tier 2 or 3 just as easy when other big 'franchises' come along, from Saudi etc

It was hilarious when Zlatan made the 'it's almost a superleague' comment in the UCL draw promo video recently.
    I think the new UCL format will placate the big teams - at least for a while.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    Random Review likes this.
  2. PaddyJamieson

Nail on the head here. I'd hate to see it happen. We'd lose our culture and fans would stop having the agency/input into the club they do now. They'd be priced out of most away games - shelling out for a euro campaign is bad enough - and the result would be a less engaged, unique fanbase.

3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    The dream scenario for me would be that the winner of our league get automatic UCL entry every season, and that they make so we play 10-12 UCL games instead of 8. That would be incredible. If that happened i am confident that we would eventually get back to being a powerhouse in europe.

What holds us back is that we just can't seem to handle qualifiers which holds us back massively. I hope the board have learned from this because that is solved with showing more ambition.

4. ardis1967

Have they ever given a reason why we can't make the league bigger here?

I think we have to look at improving Scottish football first before entertaining a super league entry for me. If there is genuinely nothing that can be done up here then my mind might change but for now it's a no from me.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  5. john2061

The Scottish clubs are killing themselves with reduced allocations to Celtic and sevco fans and looks they prefer to have empty seats than away fans there and these clubs will never improve with this policy.
    We can never compete in the champions league in the present situation financially and the wish of every Celtic fan is to win the European cup again and only way that's going to happen is to be in a European league were we can compete financially with the revenue that brings .

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Because it means that European leagues being the centre of world club football, attracting both TV viewers and the best players from all over the world is just momentum at this point. Any club whose business model depends on that is going to be in trouble.

There have already been attempts to shift European dominance in club football (the American league, a Chinese league, most recently the Saudi league). So far, they have all failed; but as European club football gets more and more concentrated and Europe itself continues to decline, sooner or later one of these attempts will work. In the next decade, I can imagine the Chinese having another go at it. I can imagine the Saudis having another go (their idea would be a lot more viable if it were a pan-Arab league: if they were less lazy and greedy and instead combined the money in the Gulf countries with the football culture and talent in North African countries, I could see it working). Most of all, I can imagine the American league making a breakthrough.

A bit further away in the future and much more speculatively, I could even imagine a Latin American superleague (if Mexico continues its rise and Brazil and Argentina get their economies in order) or an ASEAN superleague (if they get a big enough cohort of home-grown players), although those 2 are clearly not going to happen anytime in the next decade.

My money's on America, though. To me, it looks by far the most likely. I think it will be triggered by a combination of continuous improvements in the US league, better and better homegrown American players and elite infighting in Europe among UEFA-affiliated clubs. I think we're already seeing all 3 of these now and it's just a question of when they will reach a tipping point. I actually think this will happen within the next 10 years (not sure if it will be with or without the Mexicans and Candians). I'll make that prediction publically. If I'm right, Barca, Real and a lot of big clubs in the EPL are going to be in big trouble given their business models.

This is why I'm very happy that Celtic is (unlike most EPL teams) not dependent on hoovering up the best players from Africa and Latin America and attracting TV viewers and merchandise sales from all over the world. We're dependent on Celtic fans.

Sween likes this.
  7. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Yeah agree and like someone said on a podcast i listened to the other day, i 'can't wait for St.Johne to complain that they can't compete after failing to sign a 700k striker which they could have if they let our or the huns fans attend their games.

john2061 likes this.
  8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I think the main reason is it would lead to less Celtic v Sevco matches which is included in the terms of the TV deal.

NakamuraTastic and ardis1967 like this.
  9. Sween

The main reason is that smaller clubs want 4 games versus celtic and rangers each season to make money, and TV wants 4 glasgow derby games a season. A bigger league risks both those things.

NakamuraTastic and ardis1967 like this.
  10. Sween

Would your views change if celtic continued to dominate to such an extent that winning the SPFL became a formality, but we never had the money to come close to challenging in Europe?

I get why people don't like the idea. I used to be against the idea. But almost ironically, the more celtic dominate in Scotland, the more I want to move to something new.

NakamuraTastic and AdamRS like this.
  11. JamesM09

Ah okay I understand now mate. Not sure I agree but I get your point.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

Ideally, yes.

Realistically - no chance.

The powers that be have had ample opportunities to change for the better, yet remain fixed on actively NOT changing.

So * them. We'll hoover up domestic trophy after domestic trophy, then leave the rats to fend for themselves when we ascend.

13. Ľubomír1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is it not already a formality? Since the turn of the millennium we have won the league 18 times, and all but once since the league 'changed' to the Premiership. We are currently on three in a row and there is not a snowballs chance * we'll not make that four, five, six etc in a row. We have also won five trebles since 2016.

It's at a stage were the Scottish League system is pointless as well as awful. It would be best for everyone if we left. Everyone else would have something to aim for and something to energise their fan bases, and we could play meaningful games regularly.

Of course this isn't something that is unique to us. Croatia is worse; Austria is just as bad. Greece is historically worse than us, Belgium is historically bad, Switzerland is historically bad, Denmark is bad etc. Teams in these leagues will sooner or later need to join together to create a new league to stay relevant.

We'll probably end up with a European system with England; Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Turkey and Russia (and the odd outlier like Serbia or Armenia or Iceland) compete in their own leagues and everyone else has a communal top division.

NakamuraTastic, Sween and AdamRS like this.
  14. Sween

I agree with the sentiment. For what it's worth I think the existence of rangers stops it being an absolute formality for the time being. Which in one sense does give the feeling of a bit of a title challenge, but in another sense is even worse for the scottish league because even when bad by their own standards they are miles ahead in 2nd each year. Even Croatia and Austria at least have different runner ups sometimes.

As much as we like to talk about the "espanyolification" of rangers, if they do worsen to a hearts/Aberdeen level then even as celtic fans I think it would get boring pretty quickly and more fans would itch for a new challenge.

15. kenniemk2

Main reason was away supports bumping the other teams budgets up minimum 6 games against the big two helped out financially but now allocations are being cut so that argument surely has to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ardis1967 likes this.
  16. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I'm going to take the opposite side of this argument. If it was my team, I'd hate to have my home ground with just as many or more away fans.. Home grounds should be an advantage for the home side, so I actually agree with it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
  17. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Truth be told, I'd prefer only twice a year, four times is too much, some seasons we play them six times, which is just mental.

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yep, not good for my liver & kidneys! :lager:

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  19. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ha yeah!

20. TheHappyLoss

Anything to get out of this corrupt league run by a corrupt organisation. We will never grow in this league.

NakamuraTastic likes this.