1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like Celtic to move to a superleague?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Skelleto, Sep 11, 2024.

Discuss Would you like Celtic to move to a superleague? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    A follow up question. Lets say the huns joined a super league, could we say no? Would we accept them getting 10 times the cash in a league like that while we stay here?

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    This is what I think as well unless it is very clear straight away that such thing cant happen

3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    3 is a great point. That might have convinced me tbh

4. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I'd prefer us to join the English league system.

I think in Europe you would lose something in terms of teams competing primarily against other domestic teams. I think if you're speaking different languages and living hundreds of miles apart you probably lose quite a lot of the cultural and social aspects to football.

Competing in England you would lose some of that, but not a lot. I don't think fans of teams outside of Glasgow really contribute much to football culture in Scotland at this point, sadly. Maybe that's unfair but I think their loss would be more than offset by new dynamics and rivalries with other domestic teams.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  5. Sween

It does feel like there is a real threat to there being any real competition in Scotland going forward. And when that happens I'd like to see celtic move. If celtic won 10 in a row I'm sure that would be fun but would 12, 15, 20 in a row be fun? Would a once in a decade rangers league win be enough to keep a genuine interest in pumping teams in Scotland with 1% of celtics budget?

The amount of money just from being in the champions league is surely going to ruin a lot of domestic leagues and make it much easier for the richest clubs to become richer. I'd imagine you will end up with a monopoly or a duopoly in many smaller leagues at which point I think bringing together these clubs could make sense.

That feels more likely than celtic ever joining the English league set up as you will have multiple clubs looking for a new challenge. I cannot think why the EPL would want celtic in its set up.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be fair, I think aprevak made that point before me.

Skelleto likes this.
  7. kenniemk2

If European super league happens without the English would Celtic finally get invited to epl to combat it …. I think they would if say man Utd and others left epl for super league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRS-1888 likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Poll added.

NakamuraTastic, Skelleto and martin_d like this.
  9. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It is unfair, and tbh it’s totally inaccurate, mate.

I’m 100% a Celtic fan first and foremost, and obvs not a Scottish football fan in general. In saying that, I really like it when the likes of the Sheep and the other more vocal away supports come to CP and try to compete with our noise levels. Adds to the atmosphere and competitive edge.

The likes of Dundee United, Hibs and a good few others have really strong and distinctive club cultures as well.

I answered ‘yes’ in the poll,* so I’m not one who’s really wedded to us having to stay in the SPFL system. Trashing the smaller clubs for their own contributions to overall contemporary Scottish football culture is another matter though.

*Edit: Cheers to @PaulM1888 for adding the poll.

PaulM1888 and Skelleto like this.
  10. JamesM09

I’m not sure I understood point number one mate. Why would population and GDP matter in the context of global revenue streams?

11. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

People have been talking about the bubble bursting for two decades now and it never has. If anything those leagues have become more popular and generated more.

Ľubomír1 and martin_d like this.
  12. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I just feel their time is up.

Aye, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd, etc. all have very distinct club cultures, but they're clubs in decline. None of them can pull a home average over 20k and their away supports are typically pitiful. There's no back-and-forth with them really because there's no competition from them.

It sounds like I'm just out to bury them, but I'm just being realistic. There is no sign they'll do anything other than continue to diminish, which means the league and its culture will follow suit. I'd rather trade them for English clubs than go down with the ship.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Torn as I'd love to see us reach the potential I believe we have. EPL or super league would allow us to achieve that.

But in general the idea just doesn't sit right with me.

14. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Must say i am kind of surprised that 62% are positive for it so far.

15. kenniemk2

It matters in terms of the domestic sky deal … theirs is up way past levels of inflation that sky are creaming their customers with their prices that can only go on for so long before they lose subscribers as the population is only so many … personally I think we are at the point sky are paying them the absolute maximum will only see it rise by ten mill here or their

16. Mr. Slippyfist

We are Scottish fitba.

Sadly though, our dominance at this domestic level is also our European downfall.

We need to be competing on a regular basis eith bigger and better competition - and not up against it season after season against cheating corrupt sleekit hun officials and media.

Leave Scottish fitba behind and spread our wings, let the flys surround the jobbie.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. kenniemk2

Hibs hearts Aberdeen and dutd big argument is budgets …. But when you look at their budgets compared to the other 6 that argument goes out the window … they are not consistent enough against the smaller teams

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In an ideal world I’d prefer Scottish football to improve.

Skelleto likes this.
  19. Sween

That all just comes from an uncompetitive league. As I said earlier, money in football has warped any sense of normal competition. Hearts and Aberdeen still have pretty good crowds for 2 teams that are the 3rd and 4th biggest teams in the league yet start the season with little expectations of winning anything, and almost no chance of finishing higher than 3rd in the league. Winning 12 of 13 leagues is great if you support celtic but it's boring if you are supporting other teams or trying to sell the product and grow interest from outside the country.

It's noones fault but the set up is broken. A euro league feels like the natural evolution.

Same...but it won't.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed - for the sake of Scottish football improving the biggest obstacle is us - we're too big and rich for the rest of the league to flourish, simultaneously Scottish football is then holding us back.

Sween and NakamuraTastic like this.