1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be honest, I think it would be more poetic if that punishment were reserved for anyone who voted for the current lot. Anyone who voted Tory should be made to sit next to Rod Stewart.

2. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jan Venegoor Of Hesselink
    that’s a fair point with the repetition of certain songs in all fairness.

3. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    only fans I can recall that done this was Shaktar Donestk under Strachan in all honesty. I disagree it’s a myth not from my experiences

4. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    have to disagree been lucky enough to go since MON and would be hard pushed to find “crap” atmospheres. Albeit RD and Mowbray era aside.

5. ML6

Was plenty over the years before GB had a block, Basel, PSG, Hamburg, Rapid, Juve all off the top of my head.

6. ML6

So from what GB/BHOYS provide now with constant atmosphere from start to finish your saying thats what our support done under MON and Strachan? YNWA in Europe outstanding but apart from that it was hardly constant singing throughout the 90 mins.

7. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Are you talking about the Juventus game with MON or Lennon ?
    As for The Bhoys I don’t know enough about them to comment on it wouldn’t be fair. What I am saying is this over the years before the GB and others came to be Celtic Park new era and old was always good for atmosphere, yes some game maybe had a touch less than others but to compare it to an Emirates or a lack of something I honestly would have to disagree with that.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've been going since the mid-90s and there were loads of domestic games where the atmosphere was non-existent, for every manager we've had during that time. It's normal that some games will be flat in terms of atmosphere.

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Jungle Bhoys Rude Bhoys Comrades

Out of the ashes come the Green Brigade

10. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    that’s around the same time as myself mate in all honesty I disagree but that’s fine.

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not how I remember those European nights at all. Exact opposite if I'm being honest.

saltire78 likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You can disagree if you want but I know what I heard at the games, and a lot of them there was barely any atmosphere at all.

ML6 likes this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And did it really matter? Most people are there to watch and support Celtic. I'd say the poster saying the atmosphere at CL games before 2010 and the GB wasn't impressive is talking utter pish, but it's not really the point. How those who attend games choose to show their support is up to them.

Things have certainly changed from when I went to the Jungle, or stood in the Celtic end but I don't really see the GB as being gold standard. Just the dominant presence.

I do generally admire what they do, and do find it entertaining, and sometimes even think it might demonstrate what our club means, but they also frequently do the opposite. They also disrupt or stop pretty much any other group from starting anything as the drums are pretty much an ever present through the games.

But I'd go back to my original point. Does it matter? Those attending should be able to go to the game and support as they want. It's not really up to Sky or those watching on TV to say what those who turn up should do. And those that do attend can obviously sort it out themselves.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No.

NomDePlum likes this.
  15. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:

Likewise mate I really don’t know what you are looking for me to say I literally disagree with you and you likewise with me.

that’s fine, won’t be the first time nor the last.

16. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

The GB are great for the most part, but as I posted before they are guilty of not getting the wider crowd involved.

The atmosphere at European games starts off great, but after Celtic symphony and the Celtic Song they’ll dive into the rebs, and occasionally some of the more obscure ones. I’ve got nothing against them personally, but it’s not going to get the masses involved. Then you’ve got The Bhoys at the other end of the stadium chanting about orange * at the same time, and it just sucks the life out of the place.

We have a big songbook and when I think back to the best atmospheres like Barca in 2012, they did make an effort to get the wider fans into it. That hasn’t happened much recently.

17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You’re objectively wrong though. :56:

19. Sween

I find it difficult to remember well enough to honestly compare average atmospheres from decades gone by, but I think the ultra fashion definitely leads to a difference in atmosphere.

There used to be a more natural ebb and flow to the sounds in the stadium reflecting what was happening on the pitch. The atmosphere generated by ultra groups is more consistent and constant but is usually independent of how the game feels. It sounds to me like an atmosphere overlay on top of a game going on, rather than an extension of the game. I don't really think that's a good or a bad thing but it strikes me as the biggest audible difference rather than just a good vs bad atmosphere debate.

Mo-Neill12 and HoopyT like this.
  20. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Never figured it out, how someone would buy a season book and spend the best part of 90 minutes shouting through a loud hailer and looking away from where the match is happening. Just strikes me as odd and contrived.

Mickmac, KRS-1888 and Sween like this.