1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like Celtic to move to a superleague?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Skelleto, Sep 11, 2024.

Discuss Would you like Celtic to move to a superleague? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Here is my thoughts on it.

All the talk about joining the english league system just make me yawn. Here in Sweden, every single man support some of the top 6 english clubs, and those who don't support clubs like Leeds etc. If we where to join the english league system, it would end my interest in Celtic, as my whole country would instantly have lots of new "Diehard Celtic fans" which would infuriate me in a pretty selfish and ridiculous way. I am one of pretty few in this country supporting Celtic so passionately which makes it so much sweeter.

BUT

Would i support Celtic joining a european super league? The thought is actually growing on me in all honesty. I don't think we would get lots of "new fans" which is my main concern moving to another setup. By far my main concern.

We would instantly become a much stronger force, but so would the other clubs involved in the super league. We would be able to attract the best players in the world. We would play with refs that dont drink beers with huns in hun bars etc. We would get rid of * like St.Johnstone leaving them to implode.

I would prefer the scottish league to change for the better though, so i am not yet convinced but i must admit that i am getting more positive towards it the more time go by.

One thing i would like to see if it happened even though i am Swedish, is that scottish/irish would have first hand on all tickets in some way.

What is you're thoughts on this topic these days?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
    NakamuraTastic and martin_d like this.
  2. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Yes, but it would have to be the right setup. * the EPL. Anything which would see us part of a setup like that, with plastic fans and unfettered corporate greed is a big no from me.

The idea of playing against better teams every week is interesting though.

Edit: One caveat should be that the Huns DON'T come with us. It's time to leave them in our shadow.

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic joining the English setup has been debated to death - it won't happen but if it did it would be great to put the argument to bed as we'd obviously be a big fish in an ocean of financial and commercial opportunity and could be a genuine powerhouse of a football club. Any similar setup would surely provide this too, but this new CL format was in reaction to the original Super League proposal - so we essentially play in a super league now. To have those sort of games week in, week out would be great but I struggle to see how it would be feasible.

Not sure playing Scandi & Dutch teams would be practicle (albeit we would likely fill away allocations in those countries over 19 games a season) but for the team itself would be hard to deal with constantly flying back & forth. Also UEFA would most likely not allow a multi-national league so the concept is flawed.

No doubt for us to fulfill our true potential we need to be playing more attractive opposition more often in some shape or form, but the new CL format is our best chance of doing that and regularly qualifying for that needs to be our aim every season from now on.

Skelleto likes this.
  4. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Can a mod add a poll, please?

Skelleto and NakamuraTastic like this.
  5. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’d love us to join a league with all the best teams outside of your top 5 leagues. Likes of Benfica & Ajax etc.

I normally do this in fifa career mode for a bit of fun.

No interest in joining the EPL as they’re just hun lovers and can only imagine the trouble at games.

6. tuna_matata

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andreas Hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Come on you Bhoys in Green
    In the contrary I would love us to join the EPL so we can get that TV revenue money, and become an elite team which we are deserving of. Would be nothing better than winning the EPL to stick the middle finger up at all those English fans who look down on us cause of the league we play in.

7. Celtic Then Celtic Now

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jan Venegoor Of Hesselink
    It’s an interesting question it’s the same as would you be interested in seeing Celtic join the EPL.

But let’s look at what raises that question

the current set up.

our league needs a massive revamp and a freshen up, ultimately it could be brought into a top 18 teams and 14 league teams that follow.

I would be all for bringing back the reserve leagues like we had before, and I would make a same set standard for all professional teams in the top leagues ie pitch standards, facilities ect.

now we don’t have the money of the EPL but Sky BT ect have always made a hefty packet from Scottish based subscriptions, what I would propose is a unified Scottish streaming football service that would be £10 per month that would play games from Thursday to Monday it would have games from all leagues at various times and multi choice option like you have with the champions league games.

I believe this would massively revamp clubs and improve clubs and players hugely within 10 years.

furthmore the SPL board I would make it x amount of bodies must have experience of playing within the league x amount of business and x amount of coaching to bring us out of this week feeble and dinosaur approach to our game.

Do I think this will happen

nope

but the original question raised is an interesting one because everyone can see that this game is dying and we need a plan B

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

No

Random Review likes this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

A fair tv deal would do me. Then the whole of Scotland could compete in Europe. There's smaller nations getting 100s of million more a year purely because they aren't attatchd to the epl.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  10. JamesM09

A big 'No' to the English leagues for me. Not interested at all. I think it's important to move past that idea now. Football is moving towards a European league and that's what we should be aiming for.

A slimmer domestic season and a European league that we are guaranteed entry into with a greater number of games. That's where Celtic will become a top club on the pitch again.

11. kenniemk2

Unfortunately for Scottish football only way for Celtic to acheive its full potential is to join a super league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skelleto likes this.
  12. kenniemk2

At 10 quid a month is not enough it would need to be more if your talking about all the games and clubs

13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Before last season's VAR / Penalty 'honest mistakes' I would have said no... But after watching that (and even seeing the bent lines on Kyogo's 'offside' goal recently) I've done a 180...Man alive it's so corrupt at the moment..so now I say get out!

Skelleto likes this.
  14. apevrak

I'd rather we stay out of a Super League setup. Yes, it would be great to be able to attract the best players around, but I fear that the money involved would sanitize the whole match experience and eventually remove the club from it's original fan base and move towards being basically a tourist attraction like Liverpool, Man Utd/City etc. It would be Desmond's and Lawwell's sweet dream to tell supporters who don't get with their program to * off.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think £15 per month for 12 games per week spread across all leagues (double for mid week match weeks) would get a good amount of subscribers. If you added in League Cup and Scottish Cup (shared with bbc) and made it £20 per month I think it would do well. They would be able to pull in advertising revenue too. You could also put highlights of each match and also extended highlights. You could in theory just not bother showing much of the lower two leagues to cut costs.

I won't pay for Sky Sports for a couple of games per month (if that) but I would pay £15-20 per month if I got regular Celtic matches, and extended highlights of all Celtic games. You could fill it with content from old games etc, would be something for fans of all clubs.

16. stew37

Id much prefer for Scottish football to have some influx of vast amounts of cash, but * knows how that would happen. I wouldn't mind some other kind of Euro league but just not sure how it would impact Scottish football, which I'd still always want us to be a part of.

No interest in the EPL.

17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Obviously depends on the amount of subscribers.

If it improved the game up here it’s reasonably foreseeable that the subscribers would go through the roof.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Please no.

1) The business model of living off a revenue stream generated by TV viewers from all over the world at a time when Europe is massively declining as a share of global population and as a share of global GDP is not sustainable. When this bubble bursts, it's going to take some big clubs down with it. We're much safer up here. Our revenue comes from our fans.

2) As others have said above, it will totally change the culture at the club in a similar direction to the EPL.

3) As others have said above, the fans will no longer have any power when STs and merchandise make up a small fraction of our revenue.

19. kenniemk2

I think at 10 quid we would need to bring in adverts to subsidise it

20. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Season ticket prices would skyrocket and the average fan would be priced out of away games. For that reason no.