1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Dec 3, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jambo_cfc

Was saying to my mate that he really is the lustig mkll to them , always windes them up , they can’t stand him, always has a great game against them

2. saltire78

Cannot stress this enough... Full pelt, full reach, falling over and still put the ball on a platter for the goal! It was excellent!

As for the Huns, they blew all their energy in the first 7-10 mins of each half hoping to catch us cold. Dream on, we absorbed it and then just took control and settled them after that.

3. constant

He was an absolute titan against them up and down that right flank, they just can't handle him at all. Tall, strong and wiry he outmuscles opponents with ease, and you can see he really has got it in for them.

Developing a telepathic understanding with Kuhn already, this augurs well for the future.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  4. DonnyCelt

Looking back at his cross for Maeda's goal, what determination to get to that ball and cross it, basically flung himself at it to keep it in play. Was brilliant yesterday

jimbobers, Hammy89 and JC Anton like this.
  5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    To be honest not just that cross, he continually puts some balls across, yesterday along there was around 3 or 4 wonderful balls across.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes improved that aspect of his game this season. Can tell he's been working on it as his delivery was a bit off last year. He's turning into a brilliant player.

martin_d and Hammy89 like this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

8. Sean Treacy

Really pleased with the start he has made to this season, he was ropey last season but bang at it right now. And we have big AR to give him breathers then the schedule ramps up.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. Slaw

I think he’s the best right back we’ve had in the past 15 years to be honest. That’s how highly I rate him. The guy has everything you’d want in a full back.

10. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    He keeps getting better all the time as well, really grew into it and long may it continue

11. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Totally.
    8/10 that could go anywhere. Scuffed or skied.
    But was the perfect pass.

One of my favourite players right now. His attitude and his press conferences are a breath of fresh air

12. Sween

He's a very likeable guy isn't he.

And it's funny that even if you play for celtic, you still get * off playing so much council tax and the bins not being picked up on time :56:

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Bah, I'm not having anyone as obscenely wealthy as a professional football player moaning about taxes. :56:
    I do have sympathy with middle-class people like yourself. I think the tax burden probably is too high on you guys. I think AJ's going to be fine for money, though.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Looks back to his best..

Must've been playing through niggles last year as he even looked a yard slower than he is..

He's turning in to as good as we could realistically get now he's adding goals and assists to his game. Always been solid, quick and good bombing up and down the wing where you were confident he could win most battles....but he's definitely gone up another gear..

HTG, The_Bhoy, KRS-1888 and 3 others like this.
  15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Hahaha that look he does when GT says he’s stronger than nawrocki :56:

16. Bad Ambassador

Fav Celtic Player:
    Landry
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/footy-prime-the-podcast/id1482039221

Alistair Johnston reveals he felt some 'tension' between himself and Josip Juranovic after Ange Postecoglou threw him in at the deep end at Ibrox for his debut.

Celtic signed Johnston from Vancouver Whitecaps ahead of the 2023 January window and far from the phased-in introduction often given to new signings from far-away leagues, the Canadian was thrown straight into the pressure-cooker. Signed as the contingency plan for Josip Juranovic, who was being heavily linked with various moves away, Johnston started the very first game he was eligible for - a fiery 2-2 draw against Rangers on enemy territory.

He showed his battling qualities in that one and must have made an impression as he's been the Hoops' starting right-back virtually ever since. His inclusion over the tried-and-tested Juranovic was a surprise, although as it happened, they got on the pitch together, with the Croatian subbed on to replace the injured Greg Taylor.

Celtic led early on and despite Rangers turning the game on its head to lead early in the second half, Kyogo's late equaliser denied the Ibrox side a win. Incredibly, they won their next 12 league games, Johnston starting all-but one of them, to charge away from their rivals. Juranovic's later exit to Union Berlin failed to knock them out of their stride - he started just one more game, at left-back against St Mirren, before he was sold - and Johnston remembers the exact moment the tide shifted in his favour

He told the Footy Prime podcast: “I didn't think I was going to play, I hadn’t been training with the starting eleven the entire week, but the other full-back was kind of on the move. They brought me in with the thought that he was going to be sold at some point in that January window. We trained, it was matchday minus one, and the gaffer (Postecoglou) called me up to his office.

"I go up there, and he goes ‘Look mate, you’re going to start, I'm going to put you at right-back. Are you ready for this? You just came off the World Cup, you'll be like a duck to water’. I said 'alright, perfect

I was thinking that the other right-back had come in and said he couldn't play, he wasn't fit or whatever. I go to the hotel, I’m a little jittery, this is my first match, Ibrox away, league title in the balance, the big one. We get into the dressing room, he announces the lineup, and no-one knew that I was starting. Even the right-back didn’t know - he thought he was starting! I was like ‘Oh man, I’ve got to have a good game now, this is a little bit of tension

Walking in there, you are absolutely behind enemy lines. It was unbelievable, the place was rocking. We went a goal up early, and I remember feeling like this is a proper match

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Even better that he has one of the staunchest names to have ever played for us.

Alastair William Johnston

Sounds like one of their founding protestant men brother WATP

19. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Same name* as their former chairman before Whyte came in. He’s on the Sevco board to this day.

*different middle name.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  20. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member