1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

'Honest' mistakes 24/25

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Aug 20, 2023.

Discuss 'Honest' mistakes 24/25 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Thought the rule was that if the lines are touching it's not offside.

Also, if you zoom in on the image above the line from Khun's shoulder goes straight down. The line from the Rangers player's shoulder is angles slightly backwards. To check it properly though, you'd need a screen grab rather than a photo of a TV.

Screenshot_20240902-095703~2.png Screenshot_20240902-095720~2.png

Screenshot_20240902-095703~2.png

craigtheceltic likes this.
  2. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Your right it does angle back

Sent from my 21121210G using Tapatalk

3. saltire78

Because they bring about 100 cameras to every single EPL game, and about 3 teenagers with iPhones to cover the Scottish games probably

NakamuraTastic and BelfastBhoy74 like this.
  4. mayo

I watched another bloke on YT (a neutral) who seemed to be right on line with it say he didn’t think it was off. Going by the screenshot above he was right.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

The 2 decisions to stop play on were beyond incompetence, how the * is he getting that level of a game is beyond me. The offside is the bigger issue with VAR, you cannot draw lines to determine if someone is an inch offisde or onside especially with that camera angle.

Fortunately we didn’t let Beathun dictate the full game but it’s the tight game that always worry me. Cheating *.

6. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Hahaha he’s definitely onside! I zoomed in on this shot and used the border of my phone to check if the lines are vertical, the one of Kuhn’s arm is vertical and the one off Souttar is angled backwards! Fark me, cheating *! Was 4-0.

7. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Just took a screen grab from BBC iPlayer, zoomed in and lined the lines up with the edge of my screen. Took another couple of screenshots and put them side by side.

It looks like the line of the rangers player is angled back the way so the Khun looks offside when he is not.

The shape of the camera lens can affect things like this, but when it's this close surely it should go in favour of the attacker, especially when the linesman hasn't flagged it.

Compress_20240902_110036_6808.jpg

8. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    There seemed to be a forearm smash on Johnston that wasn't shown again. Both Johnston and the hun player got booked at the time.

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It's not just that, the line for Khun starts outside the shoulder, the line for Souttar is drawn covering his shoulder, artificially making it start further back.

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

The camera angle is ridiculous, to really see if it’s off or not we need to be in line of the players not 20m infront of them where you can’t judge it

11. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    lol, yeah I saw that too, ironically he still wouldn’t have been offside with the start points on the shoulder, they had to draw bodgy lines to stop the goal. Its so ridiculous it’d be funny if it wasn’t plain cheating.

NakamuraTastic and Lupis like this.
  12. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    That's the way it looks to me

Sent from my 21121210G using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic and Lupis like this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye it was never offside.

14. Sentinel

So it looks like there are 2 things here: the line on the ranger's player's shoulder starts slightly further back than it should AND the line appears to have a slight angle taking it away from the goal?

Surely these lines should be computer-generated and impossible to tamper with in any way? The club should 100% be asked to request a demonstration of this for it to be trusted going forward.

NakamuraTastic, 88jimmij88 and Crilly like this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

It will be a computer program, but someone clearly still has to set the lines out.

Vertically and horizontally.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It doesn't look offside to me, I think if we had more camera angles he'd have been shown to be on.

Same with the Jota one away to Motherwell and im sure there was one last season of Maeda on the right wing against someone away from home maybe St Mirren or Ross County or something.

The 3 of them don't look accurate just visually, the lines in this one look like it should be an inch or two closer to Kuhn and an inch or 3 even away from Souttar. Kuhns line looks like its outside his whole arm even though the part of his arm that doesn't count as offside is further from his body than his shoulder and Souttars looks like they have his shoulder being inside his body where it isn't. There might be about a 5 inch swing from how off they are on both lines from the reality of where they were.

17. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I know mate it’s ridiculous it’s like doing it from a camera behind the goal. Useless. The whole point of it is to get an accurate view. The only accurate view is directly in line of the two players. Surely they can’t draw the lines from the angle shown so why show that angle? It’s dodgy af

18. Crilly Hakuhna matata

The first replay I saw before it went to var was from a much better angle and he looked a yard onside

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I thought he was just off when I saw it at first tbh.. but I'm not sure how accurate our VAR offside is tbh.. it's VAR on the cheap..

The two decisions to pull back the play by Beaton were more prevelant for me.. blatant cheating.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The more cameras the more accurate it is, as then you have more angles to line up where you think you should place the line.

I think we only have 5 cameras, 2 in each half and one at the half way line. In the EPL they have 28, they have goal line ones and it seems maybe like 11 in each half you'd guess to our 2.

Means in the EPL they are maybe never further than like 4 yards away from having a near straight view across, in our League you might be 15 yards away then you are completely guessing with little accuracy to where a guy exactly is.

In the EPL they probably use 3 angles for every offside or even 5 and move the line until it looks good on all 3 or 5 cameras where as up here they probably only use the 1 camera angle since the other ones are from that far away it'd be pointless in this decision anyway, some other times we probably get to use 2 angles if the main camera also catches it.

NakamuraTastic and JC Anton like this.