1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

We had two jobs to do this summer one was a clear out of players, mainly who had come in over the last 2 seasons by and large we have done that or getting close

Since the interims we have had -

Turnbull - £2m
    Hjelde sell on - £0.3m
    Ideguchi -£0.9m
    Abada - up to £10m
    Giakoumakis sell on - £900k
    Haksabanovic - £1.7m
    Oh - up to £4m
    Siegriest - ? But big wage off the bill
    Vata - £0.25m
    Kelly - £0.4m
    Lawal - £2.2m rising possibly to £3m
    Kobayashi - ? Another wage of the bill
    McCarthy - wage of the bill
    Hart - wage of the bill

So we have moved on 12 players permanently, have also loaned out Tilio and Kwon again and Bernabei is out on loan with an option to buy and has started getting regular starts and performing so could be good for another £2.5m in.

We are in talks to sell Mikey Johnston for a fee to be believed to be around £5m. Lagerbielke may also be sold probably for around £2m and if we got a similar offer for Nawrocki he could be off. So between another £5-9m there.

Already had £67m in the bank.

Have only bought

Kuhn £2.8m
    Sinisalo £1m
    Bernardo £3.5m
    Idah up to £9.5m
    Schmeichel £0 but took on a wage.

Spent up to £16.8m and received up to £23.5m from sales completed. Have a pipeline of up to £11.5m in future sales of Johnston, Nawrocki, Lagerbielke and Bernabei. That is all before you consider Matt O’Riley on the cusp of an at least £26m sale and possibly Kyogo or Hatate linked with £18-20m and not sure the figure on Hatate but probably looking for £15-20m.

The majority of the fat in the squad has been trimmed those not mentioned above are the likes of Yang, Montgomery and Shaw who will be on modest wages and particularly the case of Shaw likely let go, the other two may go out on loan depending on incomings.

The second job is to improve our starting 11. There is absolutely no excuses for not bringing in 4 players for £6-9m and a couple of loan to buy signings to replace the quality we will lose and bolster the first team squad.

Given our guaranteed CL income we will have an Operational profit of between £15-20m before considering player trading which given the figures presented above is still likely to turn a profit.

Essentially we are close to completing job 1 but nowhere near completing the second and up against it to do this.

Edit: we can now add a guaranteed £25m possibly up to £30m for O’Riley so since the interim accounts we have brought in £45m possibly rising to £53.5m and spent £15.8m possibly rising to £16.8m.

So currently £29.2m in player trading profit with a possibly further £7.5m to play for in profit (£8.5m incoming to £1m out). That’s before you consider who else might be sold before the end of the window.

We also had £67m in the bank at 31st of December with it likely to have increased in the 30th June 24 accounts.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  2. Pogues

Agree with all of that mate, and it's totally frustrating when us fans just want to see the best players we can get on the pitch and don't see it happening.

But, as you say, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, there might be things happening we don't know about. If blochairn is right and it's all about stockpiling cash for when there's no champions league money, then it could be argued the board only have the best interests of the club at heart.

It is fecking frustrating though.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The squad trimming is the only bright spark so far. Fully agree.

But it all counts for little if we then don't go ahead and make use of the money now saved on better quality. I know you acknowledge that and are well aware.

That's the concern for me. I think we've left it too late.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    You'd be asking 4 or 5 new players to hit the ground running, that is if we actually got them in, had well over as year to sign a LB and couldney do it, now within the space of a week we are expecting to see 5 in the door, seems highly implausable.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    Sgt Neppers* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. horseshoe

I'd say Schmeichel and Sinisalo is better business than a lot of us were expecting as well, Kasper looks a clear upgrade on Hart so far and succesion planning in place.

Pogues, Celts88 and PaulM1888 like this.
  6. Foley1888

I am in full agreement to me left back and left centre back should have been sorted for the season starting. We knew we needed to do that.

I know all the chat about players taking time to make their mind up but there will be plenty of good players out there happy to come here who should have been lined up prior to the window.

I am not saying I want him in but see if Owen Beck and Auston Trusty are the two who come in for those positions, certainly Beck could have been done a while ago.

My big worry is we are well down our lists already. My other concern is how ill equipped we are to do transfer dealings, Ange’s first season when we had to bring in an agent to help us do deals because our internal capacity couldn’t cope with what we needed.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye to be fair would agree there.

8. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lose Kyogo and O'Riley and don't sign at least 3 or 4 first team ready players and we're risking the SPFL title nevermind gaining any points in the CL.

evilbunny1991 and Mr Shelby like this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I mean left back you have Wijndal sitting in Ajax reserves being offered on a plate. It's been like that since very early on in the window.

The sit and wait argument for me only really stands when talking about players down south or perhaps those on the periphery of bigger sized European clubs.

I don't believe for a second that every single player we hold interest in is waiting till the final 7 days. I think that's a convenient excuse for people to pedal to try and defend the clubs actions.

Bogusz for example, surely he could have been approached sooner and in advance of his club playing in a cup final ffs.

It's very clear we aren't set up well to execute these deals even if we want to, as you say there. It seriously needs looked at. So unprofessional.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  10. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    That’s also after Idah has turned up unfit and we had to go with Maeda at CF. Bernardo has also had no proper pre season, has done a fair stack of it training alone. So while they are up to speed on tactics, they need a couple more weeks of running to get their fitness up.

The Prof likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Even the most pessimistic person can see that there’s been far more wins than simple squad trimming?

Not only has the GK position been improved on with a keeper that far better suits our style, his successor has also been purchased in the same window.

Bernardo and Idah are also both good signings, people need to get out their head that it doesn’t improve us because they were already here last season. That’s warped logic, if we didn’t sign them we wouldn’t have them as neither were Celtic players and both are a further year and a couple trophies down the line in their development.

There’s gaping holes to be filled but let’s see what the next week brings.

Pogues and Celts88 like this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I acknowledged after my post that the GK positions are a win.

Bernardo and Idah being here aye but it doesn't improve upon what we had last season. It's good to have them back but the squad is as is, even less so with key positions still not filled. I get your point but I had taken them, particularly Bernardo, as a given to be back. Looking at the squad, as you acknowledge, there's still massive gaps. Some of which have existed for years now.

The window thus far has been * given the resources we have to improve the squad.

A week to do the business we need to do is taking an insane risk. But hopefully it all works out.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Proper scraping the barrel if people are convincing themselves we’ve done well so far.

It’s been a complete shambles of a window until now. That might change, but we’ve a * of a lot of work to do in a week if it’s going to even remotely approach a successful window.

The goalkeeping situation has improved. Great.

We’ve signed a back up midfielder (albeit with potential) and a rotation striker.

Our first team is marginally stronger than it was a few months ago. Given the money we have available, that’s not good enough.

14. FrankMcCallum

Increase in share price? More bonuses and dividends for shareholders? Who knows?

seanm likes this.
  15. TheHappyLoss

Starting to think Celtic made up the Kyogo CCV and O’Riley rumours in the hope that we won’t notice they haven’t signed anyone when the 3 of them stay :97:

seanm, BelfastBhoy74 and Peej like this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Best window in years big lad

2 new GK's

Knocked back bids for star players like Mikey Johnston and big Gus

Selling bench boys like Kyogo and Matt

10 out of 10 :101:

seanm likes this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yet to see the Finnish keeper, so honestly couldn't say if he is better than Seigrist or not.
    Chances are he will be and it's a good sign for the future how we brought the two in. But no one can say he's an upgrade or not.

There is also concerns for me, that he isn't used as the cup keeper. So there goes any theory we all had on him being used as that to become number one next season.

As for Kasper being better than Hart - it's still too early to know that as well. On paper and all that, they are similar. One has a better honours list though, the other potentially is better with the ball at his feet. But again, still too early.
    For the record, Hart wasn't that bad with the ball either.

As for the other two, glad to have them, won't discuss the price of either, but it's literally standing still.

I can accept folk wanting to clamber for some sense of marginal improvement on the squad (regarding the keepers), but it's clutching for sure.
    As much as some will argue for that, there is equally a solid argument that with even Oh out the door, we are weaker as a squad overall. Albeit he didn't play I think after Idah came in - but neither did Seigrist, not has the Finnish lad.

The windows an absolute stinker of a window.
    By far, the worst one I've seen for a summer window. Perhaps only outdone by the willo flood winter window.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

seanm and BigDoggyWoofWoof like this.
  18. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Rodgers saying we need to strengthen over the next week (quality), and isn't reliant on players going out since we haven't spent much.

seanm likes this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not been good enough to date but the time for * collapsing is when the window shuts.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Rodgers has made it clear he expects players in over the coming week, everyone can now relax. :61:

Peej and thailandceltic like this.