1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We have a squad bloated with mediocrity, common knowledge for a long time what we need is first team quality not sub standard projects and bench fillers.

2. Celts88 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The Lemon
    How we do in Europe will make zero difference on how the Huns go, they're to busy * themselves up without us having to be part of it. It's in Scotland where we put the boot into the Huns with the league and cups which does the most damage.

For the next couple of years the league champions go into the UCL play-offs whereas those coming 2nd have to play 3 qualifying rounds for the UCL or worst 3 qualifying rounds for the Conference (no Europa, straight to Conference). That's what's going to * up the Huns, not how we do in Europe.

3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Think the point he is making is if we had a team capable of punching above its weight in Europe then domestic football takes care of itself. Winning 2 CL games earns as much money as winning the league does.

It makes financial sense to improve footballing outcomes in Europe but our board don't want to speculate to accumulate cause they're total shitebags. But if we did invest in the team we'd simultaneously give ourselves a fighting chance of not having our pants pulled down 8 times in the CL and leave sevco for dust.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Panic has set in because we have wasted the last 2 months, this could all have been avoided if we had a proactive Board/recruitment team who were actually on the ball and had any forward planning/ambition.

5. cammy07

Precisely this. We have the money and more importantly a manager who could make us at the very least competitive at that level, given the necessary tools. If we were doing that then domestic football takes care of itself. As pointed out a couple of wins in the champions league will make us more than a treble would, and it’s that extra money which will hurt the Huns the most.

I’m not suggesting we go out and empty our accounts on a few players, but the money is there to stretch the wage bill and sign a few players in the 10m region that will more than likely improve the squad massively.

Every Celtic fan on the planet could see we needed a left back and a centre half capable of coming straight into the side, for some reason those in charge of the club don’t.

It’ll be interesting to see how many teams taking part in the champions league this season think going in with one recognised left back in the squad is enough. I have a funny feeling we’ll be the only ones.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
    henriks tongue and JML67 like this.
  6. Celts88 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The Lemon
    We've won 12 out of the last 13 titles, and according to most we've been * in Europe, but still only lost 1 out of 13 (and that was an 'abnormal' Covid season).

I'm not saying we shouldn't do better in Europe, of course everyone wants that, but it's not the case where previously coming 2nd meant you still qualified for the UCL group stage or just 1 qualifier. It now means that 2nd will have 3 qualifiers to play, and if Scotlands coefficient goes to 16th or worse then 2nd place can only qualify for the Conference league at best, not UCL or Europa.

7. murphy88

Think the point is, had we actually showed ambition to push on in Europe, there’s no reason we wouldn’t have had the same level of domestic dominance.

Wee Baldy, JML67 and cammy07 like this.
  8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Imagine it did happen and we did sell Kyogo , Oreilly and hetate (not that I belive we will), it'd be like a scene out of Gladiator, with Joaquin Phoneix (Rangers CEO - don't know who that is) with the thumbs down to PL and DD, lol.

Would be the most supidest and bravest board decision ever.

9. henriks tongue

We think we're bloated, Chelsea have 15 first team players training separately from rest of the squad!!!

Surely a wee loaner or 2 in there for us?
    Wages a huge barrier tho....

10. TheHappyLoss

Can’t really buy a replacement for Kyogo or O’Riley if we don’t know they are going to leave so I get that, but there’s 3 or 4 positions that have needed strengthened for years, absolutely pathetic

11. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Can’t see Rodgers putting up with this again, think he’ll be off at some point this season.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I honestly think if this continues Rodgers need to give the Board an ultimatum, the Board are making him look a right chump, treating him with contempt.

If he were to walk again this time supporters would fully understand and back his decision.

13. henriks tongue

For Europe, it's not about punching above our weight - let's start with punching at our weight.

We've been underperforming v our resources for a decade.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The concern is going beyond Europe now for me.

Why did we win the league last season? Well I'd say a big part of that was down to MOR influence. Then in previous seasons, Kyogo.

If we continue to not replace these players properly and invest whilst on top, then the league won't be as much of a certainty as people seem to think. Take those two out for example then Hatate and our squad looks even worse than it does right now.

Everything we are doing is pointing to a club with absolutely no ambition. It's * saddening.

15. cammy07

That and a manager who is light years ahead of anyone else in the country, who, if we’re being honest, is only here because of his emotional attachment to the club. He * off once due to the board, he’ll do it again if they continue to * him around.

When we got Rodgers back last summer his stock down the road was at an all time low, that’ll slowly be building back up and you’d be hard pushed to be annoyed at him for going again this time round.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Some talk on KDS we're looking 5-6 before the deadline...

Even if that's true, what club would leave it to the last 10 days to secure half a dozen targets. :56:

Twisty likes this.
  17. celtic20

If Kyogo goes Rodgers will follow him

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't know how anyone could blame him.

If nothing substantial happens next 9 days I'd arguably think less of him if he stayed. Working for that lot.

It just needs to happen. If MOR goes and Kyogo too that's about £50m including the likes of Oh and Haksabanovic etc. Maybe more if you stretch back to Abada.

Thats all money that is on top of what we already had.

It would be unforgiveable not to speculate. If we don't then serious up front questions and protests would be required. They can't hide from this one after publicly apologising following January.

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    CL fitbaw, top manager in place, plenty of cash in the bank, and still ....

20. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Is that 5 coming in or 5 going out