1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cant ship Tatters and MOR in the same window, thats the golden rule really

2. Lewis Kerr

Why didn't we sort out the recruitment when Lawwell Jr * off? He's been gone for ages.

I know Rodgers spoke about revamping it after the window, but that process surely should have been done or at least started already. There's no excuse for us to be in this position to be honest. You never know, with a competent set up, this window might have looked a lot differently.

Just another example of the club kicking the can down the road.

BhoyFitz and MynameisEarl like this.
  3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    You'd expect Rodgers to be kicking in the board's door soon.

He's been * over in the last two (nearly three) windows.

4. Slaw

Comments on today’s BBC article are promising. He said he wants 2 CMs if O’Riley leaves. He’s starting to ramp up the pressure.

NakamuraTastic, BhoyFitz and Hammy89 like this.
  5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I honestly can't believe how quiet he has been about it.

He did well dragging us over the line after the hangover of losing Ange, Jota etc.

He needs backed ffs.

NakamuraTastic, BhoyFitz and Slaw like this.
  6. Slaw

“I still think we need another player in that position. If he was to go, we'd need two more

I will need to speak to the board," said Rodgers on the prospect of recruits. "There's a lot of work going on and there’s lots that we need to do, but for now it's really about the players that are here.

"They're doing a brilliant job. We know where we want to strengthen and I'm pretty hopeful that we can do that.

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. themouth1888

I've been very critical of the board. If MOR does go then this will really show their ambitions.

If we don't have his replacement in within days of him leaving there is something far wrong. Remember MOR leaving shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Plans should be already in place

8. Sween

Rodgers has done a great job in getting several guys in our squad playing at a level that is probably as good as they get. He is maximising the likes of Taylor, Scales, Ralston, Forest, etc, so I can see why he isn't going over the top in talking down the team he currently has.

I feel like he's been pretty clear as regards what he wants without knocking our current squad. I'm sure he's more forthright with the board behind closed doors.

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

His comments about “needing to speak to the board” if O’Riley leaves are worrying. Maybe looking a bit too much into it but just sounds like we don’t have any planning. Also said something about it more about the players that “are here” right now. A line I’m sure we heard plenty towards the end of the last couple of windows.

The start of the window we are told we will get reinforcements. The middle we get told we will get some business done at the end. Then the end is we need to work with the players we have. REPEAT.

BhoyFitz, Lewis Kerr and The Prof like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We are a mess at boardroom level and in terms of a footballing structure.

That won't change regardless of what happens next 11 days. Big changes required and I just don't see it happening. Will be business as usual flying by the seat of our pants every window or anytime a manager leaves.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Thats what I mean about Rodgers being a shitebag, constantly distances himself from transfers.

He should be taking control, should be talking with the board every day wondering how things are getting along, should have lists of players he wants and needs done ASAP.

He always comes away with that same pish.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Huge 11 days coming.

As it currently stands, even before MOR leaves, it's been a * transfer window.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Think I'll just stay out of here until window is done..

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    My prediction for the window...

We sell O'Riley, sign McCowan and another midfielder, loan a left-back from some random team from nowhere who never plays and probably gets let go again in January.

The midfielder signed to replace O'Riley never really gets a game, Rodgers plays Bernardo who plays well. Rodgers hypes up the "development" and "improvement" of Bernardo, the new guy never really gets much games. Rodgers says he needs quality to reinforce that he never signed this failure of a dud to replace O'Riley and thats clearly nothing to do with him that the guy was signed.

McCowan does a good job coming on as a sub for Hatate and Bernardo. Rodgers talks up his improvement and development since he joined even though he probably comes in and plays well from the start.

oh bhoy likes this.
  15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are braced for Matt O’Riley’s exit after Brighton ramped up the bidding war for the Parkhead playmaker - and they have a contingency plan in place if he does leave.

The English Premier League outfit have made their move to open talks over a £25m plus move for the Denmark international. Celtic won’t allow O’RIley to leave on the cheap after seeing off several attempts rom Serie A Atalanta – with the Italians eventually giving up the chase following a final bid of around £20m. Brighton will have no problems meeting the asking price and the Hoops understand it will be difficult if the 23-year-old is sweet on the switch.

O’Riley has insisted he is in no hurry to leave Celts but has long term ambitions of playing in one of Europe’s major leagues, having already attracted serious attention from Italy, Spain and Germany. Several other clubs in England are also in the hunt but Fabian Hurzeler’s Seagulls have shot to the front of the queue with less than a fortnight remaining in the window. Celts have been anticipating a major move for the star man – and have several alternatives lined up if the midfielder does depart.

Augsburg sensation Arne Engels is near the top of the list and the Hoops have already held tentative talks with representatives of the 20-year-old – who could cost up to £10m. Parkhead chiefs won’t baulk at the fee having already coughed up £8.5m up front for Adam Idah to return to Glasgow, with boss Brendan Rodgers admitted he is determined to channel his transfer kitty into quality rather than quantity.

The Irishman is also looking to hold on to other key men in his squad and the club are looking to resist any offers this summer for Reo Hatate, despite talk down south of interest from Leicester City. The Japan star also has long term hopes of playing in England but is understood to be focused on building his fitness this term after an injury hit campaign last time out

Crilly likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hopefully we aren't just bracing. Talks with any replacements should be well down the line, it seems inevitable he's going now.

Schmeichel

Johnston CCV O'Shea Wijndal

McGregor

Hatate Engels

Kuhn Kyogo Maeda

Sinisalo
    Scales
    Taylor
    Bernardo
    Tesseman/Sanches
    Toure
    Forrest
    Palma
    Idah​

Would make such a difference till January and is easily achievable if we want to push the boat out. O'shea maybe not so much wage wise but someone like that. Likes of Tesseman could easily play a more holding role in Europe as he has the physicality to do so.

paulo123 and BhoyFitz like this.
  17. CountyDownFaithful

Two words for this window.

Not good enough!

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    TBH, I think this has already been our best window in 2 years, i.e. better than the previous 3. It's still not been great; but not as disastrous as the previous 3. Schmeichel looks OK, Bernardo is a young player with real potential and I'm convinced Idah is going to be a star. People seem to rate the young goalkeeper too and there's still plenty of time for a few more.

I don't even factor O'Riley into that as he was always going to go this summer and we simply cannot afford to replace him now. We knew we needed to be buying his replacement at least a year ago, which is yet another reason that last summer was just so much worse than most people think. Perhaps Holm was meant to be that guy? Anyway, we were never going to rectify 3 awful windows in a row in just this single window.

I do agree with Mr Shelby that we need to see a much more professional structure put in place, regardless of what happens in this window.

19. oh bhoy

we are in a worse position than we were in ange's last season ,its * ridiculous that we yet again selling one of the very few top players we have left .we only have 4 in kyogo,hatate,ccv and mcgregor if/when oriley goes .a * shambles

NakamuraTastic and BhoyFitz like this.
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The issue with this window is that the two players we have spent decent money on were already part of the squad last season.

We haven't really improved. We've lessened the squad which is a positive but in terms of using some of that money we have tucked away, yet to see it. It's been excruciatingly slow and yeah, I believe the structure behind the scenes owes a lot to that. One of the only positives I've taken from this window is we haven't signed a pile of * projects. I firmly believe that's down to Rodgers only though refusing them from the board and recruitment team. There's a definite disconnect between his ambitions for the club and theirs, as I also believe there was with Ange.

I and many others have been a broken record this summer and countless windows before now. I just don't see what our long term plan is. We are ran well from a business perspective but there's so much potential there if we showed some ambition - just crying out for it, it's so frustrating to watch unfold window after window.

We constantly hear from lawwell and the likes about every penny being reinvested and constantly looking to improve and never stand still. It's all such *. They honestly must take us for idiots at this point.

There is of course time and yes this could still turn out a good window blah blah but christ we shouldn't be sitting here with 11 days left still hoping to sign a NEW outfield player who wasn't here last season. That's insane with the money we have. Genuinely laughable.

And rather than plan ahead and sign MOR replacement ahead of time we will no doubt wait till he's gone and the money is in our account before offering £6m for Engels despite knowing the price is £10m.

As I said in another thread today, the irony is we will now probably spend more on players or have trouble haggling due to the fact we will be even more flush than we were 1 week ago.