1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I prefer him with a little bit of moustache hair.

Tommy25 and oh bhoy like this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Maeda rewarded Rodgers by netting a first half brace and he impressed leading the line in Kyogo Furuhashi's absence.

Discussing the forwards positive contribution, Rodgers said: "He's one that I have absolutely no doubt that he can play there. I've seen him a lot of him with Celtic, but I've also seen a lot of him with Japan.

"He's played in a World Cup as a striker and in his two games for me as a striker he's scored five goals. He's got a hat-trick in Yokohama and he's got two today.

"His goals were very good, getting to the front post, which we want our striker's to do and running in behind, which we want them to do. So two very good goals

Tommy25, The_Bhoy and NakamuraTastic like this.
  3. stew37

He scores goals for us just through sheer persistence, goals that most folk would have given up on lol, like the odds are heavily in favour of the other team.

He must be an absolute nightmare to play against. He'll have Tavernier greeting himself to sleep man, severe night terrors.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I've never been a huge fan but since he came back into the team (and weirdly since he grew hair) he's been a lot more consistent.

I still think he's a better player through the middle and in the box. As a winger, if we are struggling to break teams down I still think that's where you're not really wanting him out there.

But no denying his work rate and the difference it makes too out wide.

Hammy89 and Ryanm1984 like this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Without doubt much more improved under Rodgers..

Seen his personality and confidence growing tenfold under him. Always smiling and you feel like he thinks he's the man now..

6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Is it Rodgers or is it the hair?

Remember how much more confident Homer Simpson was after using dimoxinil?

Liam Fraser, Jaxxx, JML67 and 11 others like this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :giggle1:

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Love him. One of my all time favourite Celtic player

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

9. Sgt Neppers*

:rofl:

10. celtic20

For a long time I thought he was hugely overrated on here. Frustrated me massively with his lack of technical ability and felt as if he lost the ball far, far too easily despite his obvious workrate and tenacity.

But over the last 6 months or so he's definitely improved as a player and you can see a much more rounded talent on the ball. Seems to be a wee bit stronger too and is using his pace a lot better as opposed to running around like a headless chicken.

Was fantastic today and he's having a lot more good performances than bad for us these days.

NakamuraTastic and Ryanm1984 like this.
  11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Been really good again since tail end of last season. He’s in the right place at the right time alot. Work rate is the best I’ve seen from any player at Celtic.

He’s technically poor as we all know, even though he’s scoring 2 today he’s still over running it etc.

12. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Said it before and I’ll say it again. Criminally under appreciated

Twisty, The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and 6 others like this.
  13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    That's a great call!

14. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Haha..another great call lol!

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  15. stew37

The technically poor chat doesn't hold water anymore for me. He's certainly ballooned a few shots and crosses in his time but sometimes his touch is fantastic, and the way he takes a ball in his stride whether it be via chest, head or whatever, he's behind the defenders in a second. He's getting better and better as far as I can see.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Appreciate that and I mean no major slight on Maeda, but technically he's not great.

Take the second goal, that first touch was poor and heavy, it worked out for him and he got his goal(s).
    He's not a winger for me though, absolutely should play through the middle more often. His two goals are exactly why. As much as I just said his touch wasn't great for the second, it's things that actually work for him.
    It's his speed, his tenacity, his attitude never to give up or let the ball go. He doesn't need to be technically brilliant through the middle, he just needs his speed, his speed of acceleration and his speed of reaction. It'll get him 20-30 goals a season if he was utilized as he was for the first half today.

But as a wide player, that lack of touch and technical ability, is woeful.
    His tracking back and energy as above, helps massively give him reason to be starting most games in some capacity. But attacking wise, he's not very good coming from the wing.

Most of his goals when played wide left, actually happen because he's drifted in to the middle. Be that due to a counter, or that the play is off to the right and it allows him to come in to the box and play on the edge.

100% would have him for another striking option. Would also keep utilising him on the wide areas in some games like the Huns to get at Tavernier, or in Europe where we can do with his legs down the side.
    But I think he would be much better through the middle most games against the lesser sides. His speed to break the lines and get on those balls, not many can match him.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

17. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That Lundstram own goal came from a great first touch by Daizen.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His technique is good, he’s just inconsistent with it but when you have the work ethic and attitude he has at all times you can give him a pass for the shortfalls.

He is a unicorn in world football, there’s no one like him.

19. jvalin

No need to sugarcoat it mate. His technique is *, yet he's an amazing player! My favorite Celtic right now. If he had better technique, he would have been world class. No way he would have been playing for Celtic.

Is it possible we've been using him out of position all these years? It's not just the goals. He made his presence felt more than Kyogo. Limited sample size obviously, but he knows the position from the Japan NT.

One thing is for sure after today. We don't need a 3rd striker.

Peej likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I could waste 10 mins and give you several examples of when has technique has been excellent but I’m not going to do that. I’m just going to say fair enough, it’s all about opinions.