1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luke McCowan

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Notorious, Jun 14, 2024.

Discuss Luke McCowan in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And still up front emergency as a almost a point towards the board sort out the signings and squad.

I dunno why folk are so gobsmacked with this though, he was very promising we tied him down to a long contract, every manager he’s played under have seen the talent he has on a training pitch (and there’s been 3 in Rodgers, Ange and Lenny that have made a point of it) and they hope it can happen here.

His injuries meant no offers for us to consider a bid to accept, his loan to WBA last season and some exceptional stuff shown is probably the only time we would receive a bid in for him. Rodgers is clearly keeping him around until he’s happy with the squad, or if there’s a decent offer, and hoping that he may still get the best out if him but not counting on it.

he won’t be arsed either way but either MJ steps up or he’s gone next year anyway. So with Kyogo taking a knock and us cruising on the weekend, instead of a guy who’s played CF large periods of his career going upfront, and the left winger going left wing, he made a point and stuck him up there.

For me though, and I think we’ve probably tried this already nows fhe time to be actively trying to punt him - i think what will happen though is a loan last day of the window after we’ve done our business. If we don’t do it properly he’ll stay though.

We can’t complain about us not securing young players like Kelly, Vata, Doak, Dembele etc. when we complain like * and give nothing but * the way of guys like Johnstone. Baffles me the * he gets man.

Anyway, on topic cos * me thats a rant for a different thread, this transfer is also quite baffling for me. It was rumoured in January as well, and at the end of the season. Weird one, * it, hopefully a pleasant surprise of a signing.

88jimmij88 likes this.
  2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I think the difference is that we have no idea how those guys would have played for us in the long term if they stayed with us. We know MJ should've been sold three, four, five years ago. He didn't make the grade, but we're unsure if the others would've.

The personal insults are low. But I do think it's a loud minority. I have nothing against the lad but he should be sold ASAP.

martin_d, Ryanm1984 and Slaw like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Need to have a buyer to be sold mate. And 5 years ago is a stretch, think 2019 was when we were desperate for him to get properly fit and a run in the team - that was peak just get a pre-season behind him.

Aye we’ve just actually tied that young prospect down, for too long yes, but it’s what we complain about with the other lads like Kelly.

The personal insults aye loud minority, the ill feeling and grumbles and getting on his back anything he does at Parkhead? That’s nowhere near a minority, and it’s why he needs to go. Look at him without the pressure or fans on his back, in a difficult league btw in the Championship, he won’t hit that here. *, he won’t even get a chance in that position for some reason - LW is what he is.

He needs to go, for his own sake. He can still go on to have a cracking career down there. For us though? Him hanging about and a very last resort doesn’t make any negative effect on us, except the ones the fans make themselves. Punt him, get a sell on fee whacked onto him.

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hahaha yeah, five years ago was peak preseason in him. Definitely three years ago we should've called time on his career.

I think tieing him down to a long term contract was the right decision at the time. It wasn't right to keep him as long as we have.

Aye, a loud minority. Celtic Park is ruthless when the crowd don't think you're doing enough. I imagine that pressure has been building year on year. I'm surprised no one has come in for him considering how well he did at West Brom.

Last paragraph, I agree with entirely.

Edit: to keep it on topic - I'd swap MJ for McCowan every day of the week.

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. TheHappyLoss

Ha ha yup.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don’t really know anything about McCowan, not stood out to me playing them. What sort of player is he?

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He's decent enough to have an impact for us. Glides through games a bit like McGregor did when he was younger. It would seem that he's come into a game the last couple of years, so a late bloomer as he's in his mid 20s.

I've only really noticed him since the hun's game last season where he ran the show.

He's never pushing anyone out the first team but he's good enough to have around and with better players around him, his passes should end in fruition more often.

martin_d and Liam Scales like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’ll take a younger Calmac:fear:

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He's certainly a diet version of him but any player that has 10% of McGregor's ability is a pler.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If it’s in addition to keeping MOR or him and an MOR replacement I’d have no issues.

Soon as the link was made it was around the time the MOR noise was all starting and it was natural to think he was going to end up being a ‘replacement’ which isn’t good enough. However, against us and against the manks this guy has been excellent, in fact he’s excellent every time you watch him TBH. If he were a few years younger it would be a complete no brainer but he’s still got plenty football in him.

There’s an element of punt about it but then so was Hartley, Robson and McDonald when attempting to see if they’d make the jump up in quality from run of the mill domestic league to top level of Europe and all 3 of those did to varying degrees of success.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Guys onto a hiding to nothing if he comes in and MOR goes with nobody else signing. Squad signing that can do a job you’d think this is, if * get it in their heads O’Riley’s replacement poor * will be torn to shreds.

12. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    No doubt a few roasters would have a go at him, but I expect most would be aiming any anger towards those in the recruitment team (if such a thing exists) and board rather than the player.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They’d include the player as well, see Taylor as an example there.

Still gets it stinking for being the best (currently only) LB at the club

14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Unfortunately that's true enough. Longer term you are probably right but to start with at least I'd expect the board to get most of the flak.

15. Shauny Shauny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo Furuhashi
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He was SUPERB today... involved in everything.

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Sean Treacy

Low dollar, worth a punt, I am not convinced by either Holm or Iwata.

Skelleto likes this.
  17. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I really don’t know if this guy is good enough to get into the team, but if he is only 1 million then maybe he is worth a go, after all we spend millions on projects that will never make the team.

18. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just watched the highlights and he set up two goals and should've had another two assists if Dundee finished better (I know they scored 6 but it should've been more) and Airdrie didn't pull the striker back when he was going through one on one.

He's scored three and has three assists in seven games. Impressive however you slice it.

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Absolutely no risk signing.. knows the league, big Tim, great ti bring on when 2 or 3 up at home.. one million, no brainer for me

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and Hammy89 like this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    They are both * and wont ever make it here. Much rather this guy

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.