1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

We getting rid of them aye

Luis1967 likes this.
  2. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Looks good if you take out Palma for Maeda or a new winger altogether

johnboy19 likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I still think we need another RW and not fancying the idea or Beck as the new LB.

The midfield needs two further additions for me. A CDM or all action type, ideally able to do both and, a MOR replacement.

I really didn't want McGregor starting as the holding mid again this season in the UCL.

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Maeda for the scum games.

5. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Alot more than just they games unless we get another winger. Palma is far too slow decent squad player but he's not a good enough starter imo

6. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Supposedly Rodgers mentioned bringing in "pace and power" during that presser.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

It's getting to that stage of the season where a lot of fans will start thinking about Europe with the Champions League a month or so away now. Is that going to be a factor in what you will look to do improvement-wise before the end of the window? Are you targeting players who can come in and make an impact at that level? Adam Idah and Nicolas Kuhn weren't part of the Champions League last season but they have come in and made a good impact. Is that the sort of player you would look to bring in?

If you look at those two players then two of the key attributes they possess are power and speed. At that level, it is very important. You can have all the tactical ideas in the game and whatnot but at that level speed and power alongside the technique. That is certainly some of the attributes we would look at in the players we bring in.

You spoke in January about persuading the club to be braver in the market is Idah a perfect example of that? You are getting quality straight away and could be a good investment down the line as well.

Yes. It is the attitude to risk. You can sign a player for one or two million and you might sell them for 10 million. You can buy a player at seven or eight million and sell him for thirty or forty million. It's the same thing. It is all about trusting the process and the team of people who work really hard and allow me to get the players in. The Celtic supporters are deserving of that. What they invest worldwide in this team in terms of merchandise and everything is incredible. It is our duty to try and get the best team we possibly can on the field. That inspires them to come and watch their team. That's what we try to do with the style of football that we play but that will always be elevated by the level of player that you have. That is our notion over the final weeks of the window to look to have a really strong team.

Are you at the stage now where other clubs are still interested in your players? Will that determine what the club do? Is it a case of deciding whether or not you will have money coming before deciding where to spend it?

I don't think so. Financially we are in a really good place. The sale of anyone doesn't have to determine what we do. I have said before we don't want to lose Matt O'Riley. I still believe we need to strengthen in certain areas and we have the resources to do that. Selling players won't determine what we can bring in. We need to improve the squad. That is separate from the guys that are here because they have been absolutely brilliant. They have been great for me. We have connected and it has been great. You always have to look to improve and there are certain gaps in our squad where we are light in terms of numbers, cover and competition. So that is what we have to work very hard to try and achieve by the end of the window

If the valuation of Matt O'Riley is met, how confident are you he can be replaced before the end of the window?

Well listen, it's not a secret. It's the model of the club. In some ways, it's great that players can come here and prove and develop. We'd love them to be able to stay for 5-10 years. But sadly that's not in the modern game. I do however think it shows that you're doing something really right by bringing a player in, developing and improving them, and then he grows to a level where his ability allows him to go on and earn much, much more than what he can earn here. That's fine, I think everyone accepts that, but the next bit's crucial: getting that pipeline in place that allows the next one to come in and then that allows you to freely understand if a player moves on, but you can then bring in the replacement straight away or have them here before they leave.

Is that what you prefer, to have someone in before someone else leaves?

It's either way, really. I think it's having the competition and having the quality into the squad – that's what you want. Obviously, the earlier you can get that in the better, but there's no doubt it's very difficult. You can certainly develop the team if someone like Matt was to go or another player

On the fee for Adam and the money that's still there to be spent. Normally when that amount is spent it's an outlier. But is there a change here where the same could be spent again during this window?

I think I've said before but, for example, if you spend £18 million, and you spend it on nine players, I would hope there's a possibility to spend 18 on three players. Our model is to bring in young players to develop and improve, but you can bring young players in to develop and improve but at a higher level. And then you know a little bit more of what you're getting maybe and there's maybe a higher ceiling. But you might be able to bring in one more at that level and or two more. I think we can do that, it's just about getting the right player.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers insists going big on Adam Idah is proof the Parkhead board mean business in this transfer window.

The Hoops have shelled out a potentially record £9.5m fee for the frontman but the boss is determined to push for more quality additions before deadline day. Rodgers is thrilled to have Idah back on board and the hitman is in line for a quick fire second debut with Kyogo struggling with his shoulder injury. But he is not finished shopping yet and has told fans he’s out to deliver the best money can buy.

Rodgers said: “I think what supporters want from the club is two things. One, is your club well run? There's no doubt here, the club is super well run, everything, organisation, very, very good. And two, supporters want to have the best team possible on the pitch. That allows them to skip back to each game really excited about watching the team.

I always think that's the challenge. And that's our challenge, to get to the end of this window, to have the very best team that we possibly can have on the field. That’s what we want. That's what supporters want. So hopefully we can do that. Well, I say hope – I want us to be able to do that.

It's the level of risk. You can sign a player for £1-2m, fine. And you might sell them for £10m. But you can sign a player for £7-8m, maybe sell them for £30-40m.

“It's the same thing, you know. But it's really trusting the process and trusting a team of people that can work very, very hard and then allowing you to get the players in.

The Celtic supporters deserve enough of that. What they invest week in, week out to this team, worldwide, merchandise, everything. It's a duty here for us to try and get the best team we possibly can on the field, to inspire them to come and watch the team.

That's what we try to do by the football that we play. But that will always be elevated by the level of player that you have. So, that's our notion over these final weeks of the window, to try and look to have a really strong team.”

Rodgers has driven a shift in mentality at Parkhead. Unlike last summer, there won’t be nine new faces landing at £2m a pop, in the hope or or two turn into stars. The boss wants to streamline the incomings – and ramp up the quality. And he won’t rule out splashing out similar dosh to the Idah deal on other new recruits.

He said: “If you spend £18 million and you spend it on nine players, I would hope there's a possibility to spend £18 million on three players.

Our model is to bring in young players to develop and improve. But you can bring young players in to develop and improve, but at a higher level. And then you know a little bit more of what you're getting maybe, and there's maybe a higher ceiling. I think we can do that. It's just about getting the right player.”

Rodgers has had a major say in signing Kasper Schmeichel and then pushing the boat out for Idah. But the star spotting is the responsibility of the recruitment department and he admitted it’s a department that still requires work in the wake of last season’s upheaval following Mark Lawwell’s departure

He said: “We need to improve that. The department and other people here, the people that are here are absolutely fantastic. The work they've put in over the course of the summer and going back over the months, being so diligent, covering many games, travelling out to games. So, I've done so much work on that front. But it's still an area I think that we can review after the window and see where, like every area, every department, where we can improve it.

The guys that have been here, they've worked ever so hard, going through the various options and availability of players to try and help us.”

Rodgers has no doubt Idah will do that and laughed off some of the bulking over the fee as he’s convince the frontman will give plenty of bang for his buck. He said: “You can never win, can you? You don't spend money. You do spend money. You spend too much.

We've got a great deal. I know the player that we have here. And for me, it's just a case of just getting him moving in the direction that I believe he can move in. He has all the talent. He's 6ft 3ins, he’s quick, he’s strong, his touch is good.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If Palma is our first choice left winger by the end of this window then it’s been a disaster.

NakamuraTastic and totti-88 like this.
  10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He has mentioned adding power to the side back in the winter window as well.
    Idah makes a big difference in terms of physicality in attack, but i still think we need something in the middle of the pitch in europe.
    We were linked with Vinicius souza last summer and for me it must be a player of that profile/style that Rodgers is after.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's not our first choice LW, just now.. :56:

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye exactly!

JC Anton likes this.
  13. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Aye the whole things just an absolute disaster, might as well just withdraw from football this season :56:Another season another year of miserable negativity from old Doofus. Give yourself a break for * sake you incessant whining monger of doom.

Westlondonscot and pablo like this.
  14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Wijndal- Loan with option for £6m
    O’Shea- £8m
    McCowan- £1m
    Engels- £9m
    Kvistgaarden- £5m

* easy.

15. TheHappyLoss

Forwarded to Lawwell

NakamuraTastic and Hammy89 like this.
  16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    we will make that back on O’Riley alone. Especially if the Wijndal deal is an initial loan with option. Currently we have spent just over £13m and brought in just under £7m. So a spend of just over £6m.

Players above would come to about £23m and we could sell O’Riley for £25m. So, that would be a spend of £36m, while bringing in around £32m. It also doesn’t include any other sales, even though we are trying to move on Johnston, Kobayashi, Lagerbielke, Yang and Kelly. We may loan a couple out but we are clearly trying to prioritise sales. Bernabei and Tilio will probably be purchased at the end of their loans too.

NakamuraTastic and TheHappyLoss like this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

*not us but heard on the radio there, Liverpool haven’t signed anyone? Makes you think.

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Refined by Lawwell:
    McCowan £850k

NakamuraTastic and TheHappyLoss like this.
  19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Imagine how much better we can spend that £150k. Could maybe get new fancy European lights for outside the stadium too.

20. TheHappyLoss

This transfer window has been torture, but just getting a bit of hope that he may bring in upgrades in a couple of vital positions.