1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam Idah

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 31, 2024.

Discuss Adam Idah in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stew37

Glad it's done. This is the kind of fee you need to pay for a player like Idah, simple as that.

Will wager him being our top scorer this season.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. Martybhoy53

Will we sign a 3rd striker? I know BR mentioned having three strikers in the squad. If we do sign another striker it will likely be a young prospect. Now get the LB, CB, CM (MOR replacement) sorted.

3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    A player that seems to perform when he feels the love of the support, hopefully the fee gives him the confidence to kick on now in his career.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy, Tommy25, TESLA and 2 others like this.
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Pretty sure Oh was 2.5m plus add ons and Lawal 2m plus add ons. But add on Haksabanovic and you have over 6m on players who weren't getting game time and you've almost covered his fee and probably most of his wages.

5. Damnati

I don't understand how spending a lot of money means we should be able to spend much more money.

My burd must have the same philosophy in life.

bhroom and Bangarangura like this.
  6. SkyeCelt

He's a young guy so there's the potential to get a good fee in future as well. Would be different if he was late twenties.

7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    What’s wrong with a “try before you buy” approach when it’s worked extremely well for us in recent times?

FranceCelt, bhroom and stew37 like this.
  8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Finally! Can see why we've fought for a better deal considering what they valued him at in January. Opportunistic as * from Norwich as they knew fine well we'd have to cough up, him being our top target.

Could tell yesterday that we'd be biting the bullet and meeting the asking price sharpish, it's just want beyond what's acceptable in terms of time negotiating.

Anyway, delighted to get him on board and have zero doubts he will justify the fee and then some. Welcome big man.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The reaction to the fee is proof that this board have conditioned us as a support into a tinpot way of thinking.

We’ve just sold a guy with 1 appearance for us for 3 million. Motherwell sold Theo Blair for 2 million. Miovski left Aberdeen for 7.

Footballers cost big money these days, we’re going to have to get used to paying big fees if we want to compete in Europe.

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Or we may just keep Mikey Johnston as the third striker back up option.

bhroom likes this.
  11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Finally!!!

Don't give a * about the fee. We have plenty in the back and penny pinched to * for years so bout time we started spending. Manager wanted him so he's worth the fee

Tommy25 and HTG like this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Don’t get me wrong, personally I wouldn’t have spent that sort of money on him and I do think there will be someone out there we could have gotten that would have been cheaper and probably been a better player. Due to where we are as a club in terms of our scouting, I don’t want to take those sort of risks, which is why I’m happy we are getting Adam Idah back.

It also shows that the club are willing to back the manager with the quality he says he wants at very high value. Some on here have suggested utter nonsense like he doesn’t want good players to sign. It was quite clear that he was Brendan Rodgers top target and the club have went all out to get him and that should be commended. It’s a very large fee and probably the reason why it’s taken so long.

bhroom likes this.
  13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    100%.. we've secured one player we know produces the goods and got rid of 3 that were absolutely hopeless and contributed * all for roughly the same price

I said this is how we should operate, smaller squad with quality players that actually contribute backed up by our youth players...

Tommy25 and FranceCelt like this.
  14. celtic warrior

Just get him in, I don't think he holds much resale value tbh at the fee we are bringing him in for.

But for once it would be nice if we do buy players at that price point who likely won't do better than us so we can hold onto him for a good 8 years or so, as he strikes me as someone who would stick around for a while.

Tommy25 and eire4 like this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Glad this is finally over the line. Fee is irrelevant when we've money sat in the bank and we know the lad can bang them in for us.

He is still somewhat raw but has all the physical attributes to be a formidable number 9. I think that's why Rodgers is keen to work with him, there's a high ceiling there.

Better late than never as they say.

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    You make a very good point there with the board conditioning. It's a big fee for us for sure but this is what we need to be doing if we want to go up a level and be at least competitive at the Champions League level.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Bonobhoy

If Matt goes for an extra couple of million more than we expect then this deal sounds a little better.

Yeah we have all that money in the bank....To pay this is a lot....My only complaint will be if we dont spend more on CB/LB

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I tend to agree that if Idah does well here over the next couple of seasons I could see him as the type of player who could stay long term at Celtic and so sell on value pretty much becomes irrelevant if that happens. He clearly really wants to play for Celtic and gets what we are all about as a club. Time will tell of course but its a scenario I can easily see happening.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Relieved that this has happened at last. Also has the experience of what's expected here.

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and eire4 like this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There is absolutely no reason why we should not be buying 2-3 players depending on needs every summer in the 6-10m range. If we want to progress to a higher level as a club then this is the next step. As for O'Riley if he is sold this month I would be shocked if it was not for a club record fee north of 25m.

Lewis Kerr and Bonobhoy like this.