1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think there's a couple of things going on, one is they are * scared of increasing the wage cap as it'll mean having to increase at least some of the wages of players already here. A knock on effect like that can be substantial to the overall wage bill. Second they don't want players tied down to long term contracts with high wages when, let's face it, there is a good chance this is the last time we play in the CL for a long time.

Which is mostly a problem of their own making. If we had strengthened in previous years we'd have more coefficient points, making entry easier. Now they will more than likely do as they have before when we had qualifiers, try to scrape through with what's there before spending. More often than not we won't make it. Which would lead to fewer coefficient points and... the cycle continues.

TLDR: It appears they don't want to spend this year and are instead hoarding cash because they know that it's unlikely we will be making much money from europe going forward.

NakamuraTastic and Mr Shelby like this.
  2. henriks tongue

The try before you buy is a fantastic market for us, we got Jota, CCV and Edouard that way.
    Even Bernardo I guess and Idah (although we didn't pre-agree a fee for Idah - big mistake)....

Take a high quality player that we could never afford at their very best but take them when they are out of form and at lowest value to parent club.
    Give them a season long trial, buy at pre agreed lowest value price if they work out. Perfect.

It's the only way we ever spend north of £6M, as we know exactly what we are getting - so much more of this please.
    That's also where top 5 leagues can turn up gold as they hoover up all the talent and can't use everyone.

3. Foley1888

I agree with this they do benefit from having access to the RB scouting network, they also benefit from having FC Liefering in the second tier as a feeder club but they typically have done what we have often spoke off, they sold young players they developed for good fees and started to spend on better prospects. They have a little bit of an issue the now with being between phases almost.

Guys like Solet aren’t playing as they are heading out so they will have lost both centre backs this summer. Konate is injured and they lost Koita in the summer who was a decent impact player for them when not injured.

They do have a wealth of good midfielders just now though; two Danish talents, a good holding midfielder and guys like Capaldo. Oscar Gloukh is a cracking player.

Essentially the RB network helped them get going and does with their scouting of young talents but they are clear in their model and what they are doing.

jafa likes this.
  4. henriks tongue

The biggest issue is lack of transparency for fans and subsequently direct and specific accountability.

This whole thread etc, is pretty much speculation, arguments, assumptions etc - that's not criticism, it's all we have to go on.

We don't have a fricking clue what the clubs ambition/approach is for europe, what players we are targeting, what the contingency is of we don't get them, what we are prepared to pay in fees or wages.
    That lack of transparency allows for easy excuses and bullshit from our stewards when it doesn't go well (v what fans want to see at least - board likely delighted)

Having a well respected, sporting and business savvy fan representative on board would be fantastic start, but will never happen with the closed shop we have today.

But what we do know 100% to be true is that we are not using our financial resources (primarily from fans) to maximise sporting and subsequently business potential.
    That is unforgivable and must change.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I can’t disagree any more strongly. You’re letting your imagination run wild with zero substance.

Mr Shelby and Celts88 like this.
  6. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    There simply has to be movement this week. Has to be.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yes.

Celts88 and Random Review like this.
  8. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Need some actual links soon as the transfer thread is absolutely soul destroying every time I go to it..

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Idah one will drag out to near the end as the club do this all the time as they think fans will be buzzing to sign someone last day. Even though we aren’t when it’s been a done deal for a week before.

I struggle to see any other signings coming in. If you closed the window today we have a much stronger squad than anyone else. The board won’t spend money for the sake of it and to appease the fans. They’ll look at it as trying to save as much as possible as we could go years without CL money now.

10. murphy88

Another major wake up call yesterday with Kyogo appearing to hurt his shoulder. Will it make our board get their finger out? I won’t hold my breath. Scandalous.

11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Is it really for the sake of it.. we have one LB.

Bare minimum that we should have a backup.

12. john2061

The short sightedness from this board is unbelievable and their ambition for this club is nonexistent and again they keep looking over at sevco are doing and know a couple of signings will just keep us ahead of the zombies but that neatly bit us in the * last season with a few games remaining and can't believe they are gambling on this threadbare squad to do it again especially the financial position we are in .

NakamuraTastic and murphy88 like this.
  13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We are past the point of being patient imo, if we had Idah wrapped up and a LB in, I'd be more than fine waiting until the end of the window for a CB and O'Rileys replacement.

We have 20 days left to get a ST, LB and a CB in alongside O'Rileys replacement, which is the bare minimum, I don't see us bringing in a Winger or another midfielder outside that.

Clocks ticking, we need to get the finger out ASAP.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    18 days mate if you don't count today and it closes on 30th this month not 31st

15. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Only celtic would apologise for a January window then turn around and have their worst window in 10 years the subsequent summer.

16. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I'd * take Steve Guppy and Momo Sylla at this rate ffs

17. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    When does the window shut?

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It definitely isn't.

I don't know what world some fans are living in honestly. Lawwell has brainwashed many still into being armchair accountants.

FrankMcCallum, The Thumb and murphy88 like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Whilst I think CB and LB ( and Idah) are crucial, we are once again going into Europe with the same midfield that hasn't been added to with the "power and pace" that even the manager has spoken of.

I'd be astonished if we add another midfielder.

The UCL is going to be the same story again this year, if not worse. Unless something drastic happens over the next 2.5 weeks

20. murphy88

100%

Mr Shelby and Blochairnbhoy like this.