1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Mate sorry but that has to be nonsense.

What manager doesn't want quality players? What do you mean by a strong team?

He's managed far better squads with bigger characters down south. I don't know what you're getting at.

He's clearly asking for the quality but what I do think is that him and those in charge are on different wave lengths in terms of the market we should be targeting.

Anyone that thinks he isn't trying to get things moving behind the scenes is being extremely naive.

2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    This time I'd support BR if he walks!

3. constant

You would be right. We have had a procession of left backs who have been failures, and I doubt the board would want to risk another £4M Bernabei disaster.

My thinking is we will stick with Taylor, and have Anderson and Frame as understudies. It is very hard to find good left backs who would be within our price range.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Don’t be daft.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maybe, mate. TBH, I just can't see us spending £10 million on anyone who hasn't had a successful season on loan here. I think the board would consider the risk too high.

6. FrankMcCallum

He’s noticeably getting progressively more * off if anything.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Exactly. This is a man who has managed Luis Suarez. I think he'll be just fine with anyone we can afford.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The better the players the more chance of success, the more success the better it makes Rodgers look, you can simplify it, there's not a manager out there who wouldn't want quality players to make their job a lot easier.

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I honestly don't think he's that interested.

20th August 2023
    “I think you can see we need that quality. We’ve had quality go out of the building, so we definitely need that quality in. But the club will work very, very hard to get the players in that can improve us and make us better. That’s something we’ll do over the period of time between now and the close of the window.”

We signed Palma and loaned Bernardo and Phillips after that.

21 September 2023

“No. No, I think if you ask any manager they will always be wanting more, of course. But we work with the players that’s here. I’m not saying that in any disrespectful way, I think every manager will tell you they maybe wished they could have done one or two more signings. But the window closed, we had the players we had in and I’m a coaching manager, and we will work with the very, very best players at our disposal to make our performance level the best we can possibly be. And now we are preparing already for the January window and the summer window.” :97::celtman2:

23 September 2023

"We know the areas that we want to improve in, we know the areas that we have to improve in. You're never going to do that in one window. What we aim to do and what we want to do going forward is improve the quality within the squad."

28 November 2023
    "They've shown that they can compete in a lot of the games but we need to add quality to that. That's the glaring thing that stands out really within this squad."

3 December 2023
    "There's no doubt now that, one, the squad will come down in numbers and obviously we need to add quality. There is no dressing it up, the group lost real quality players in the summer. That's something that over the coming windows we will look to improve on."

28th January 2024
    “There are numbers of areas we’re looking at. I can only concentrate on the players I have here now. But certainly there are areas we are looking to improve on. Hopefully there’s movement, that’s the plan. We will see over the coming days, but hopefully that’s the case.”

January all we sign is Kuhn and loan Idah, only Idah joining after he said that on the 28th.

18 May 2024
    (Asked about improving the squad with the money that will come with winning the League)
    "Well we have to thats pretty clear and im really excited about that moving forward to a really bright future with the club.
    This season has been a real challenge, the squad openly not as what I would have liked it to have been but what the players have given me until this point is brilliant but our job going into next season is to be stronger, much stronger and thats something thats well underway"

(Asked about getting signings in quicker rather than waiting until the end of the window)
    "I think every coach and manager would like to be able to do that. There are definitely positions that we’d like to have finalised sooner rather than later. Ideally, if we can do that then great, but what’s really important for us this summer is getting the level of quality that I want into the squad."

Till now all we have done is replace 2 goalkeepers and keep Bernardo.

So all his talk basically the last 11 months about needing quality, seemingly wanting multiple players in late January and only adding Idah, wanting guys in early this summer, work already being "well underway" in the middle of May etc

All thats really happened in the past 11 months is Hart, Bernabei, Turnbull, Haksabanovic/Adaba and Oh have been replaced by Schmeichel, Bernardo and Kuhn. We've replaced a goalkeeper, midfielder and wide player, lost an additional left-back and striker and now only have one in each position.

Rodgers has got to be part of the problem as theres no chance he is just letting it happen, he can't be that bothered.

To speak in September 2023 basically saying you wanted more signings in the past window and to sit here 11 months on having basically only added one single guy since then Kuhn is mental behaviour.

He talks a lot "we need quality, I wanted more quality, we will look to bring in more quality, we need to have much more quality, we are already working on bringing in more quality, we'd love to have more quality in sooner rather than later".

But the actual actions aren't anything like that, we've done heehaw.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
    NakamuraTastic and Lewis Kerr like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Seen it before.

The past two windows he started out reasonably positive and as the weeks passed his demeanour changed.

If we don't do whats required next 2-3 weeks then he will be gone after this year. If not sooner.

I don't see why he would stay. Its like any job role. If you're working your * off and getting results but others around you aren't bothering their *, breaking promises and living off your success you're gonna quickly move on.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    But what part of him asking for quality is making you think he doesn't want it?

He's asking for it because he does want it.:giggle1:. It's not the case that he's asking for a certain level of player and the people who's job it is to land those players are coming to him with them on a plate, and he's going "aw actually nah I changed my mind I'm happy with what we have and 1 striker, 1 left back. It's fine".

Clearly he's wanting it in. All those quotes prove is that something is going badly wrong behind the scenes with our recruitment as he's been a broken record for 3 windows and also stretching back to his first spell.

It's not telling us much about Rodgers.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Must have been given false promises when he decided to come back.

Surely to * he didn’t sign up for this all over again.

13. FrankMcCallum

I sincerely hope the board don’t think they have him by the balls.

In the sense that Rodgers took the inevitable backlash for leaving in the first instance, even though it was understandable and almost justified due to the lack of backing he received.

I hope it’s not a case of “he wouldn’t leave mid season again” so he’ll work with what he’s given.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I wouldn’t read too deeply into a manager’s comments to the press.

NakamuraTastic and Celts88 like this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Tbh mate I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

I'd just appreciate some transparency. There's so many things that are unknown about the workings of the club and yet we, the millions upon millions of fans worldwide, get no feedback or updates. Just another gripe.

It would really ease or at least give some context to my concerns if they laid things out. The AGM will be interesting I hope.

NakamuraTastic and FrankMcCallum like this.
  16. FrankMcCallum

I was naive enough to think we were going to make a push to realise the clubs’ potential when he was reappointed.

I live and learn.

He has a genuine affinity for this club, the way some supporters spoke about him when he left was an absolute disgrace.

He must be gutted. Even if we get a couple in which looks increasingly unlikely, he’ll know now for sure that the decision makers at the club are incapable of, or unwilling to match his ambitions.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. Bangarangura

I see where ILTC is coming from , ultimately Brendan Rodgers is a narcissist. Yes of course he loves Celtic and he wants us to succeed, wants to achieve great things . But his number one goal will always be to make himself look good.

I'm not too sure if he would be willingly sabotaging a transfer window though.

18. constant

I think we are maybe reading too much into this too soon. The holds ups I am sure is because of the Idah/Riley situations which are still hanging fire. I am more concerned that we don't have a more physical and capable striker like Idah at hand just now, and are soley dependent on Kyogo, because I don't think Maeda is a natural striker by any stretch of the imagination.

If we don't get the Idah/Riley situations settled this week, and I am hopeful we will, then I would start getting a bit edgy.

I am not concerned about Rodgers just now, I think he knows the score.

NakamuraTastic and Celts88 like this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Absolutely no chance.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Im not sure about it, he might be scarred from Liverpool still, mind he lost Suarez and it all collapsed. To him he probably blames losing players as to why it fell apart. A lot of Liverpool fans blamed his signings as being * as to why they never kept going or got any better.

His first spell at us he didn't want Boyata, Armstrong or Dembele to leave even with good money to replace them from selling them and them wanting to leave. He's the only manager thats done that really, Ajer, Christie, Edouard, Tierney, Juranovic, Giakoumakis, Jota and whoever since have all been let go, so it's never club behaviour.

At Leicester as well, he essentially ran them into the ground not wanting to sell anyone while there even though he couldn't buy anyone in the end either because he never sold anyone to get the money to replace them and was just stuck with a stale team who were together too long. Probably thinking "at least if it goes * up we've barely signed anyone for 2 years thats not my problem".

I think it's the same again here, talks constantly about wanting quality and needing better players but actively isn't really doing anything or bothered what happens. Probably thinking it's a safety net for him anyway, if we do fine we're doing it with a weak squad if it goes * up "I spoke about quality for 3 windows and they never signed anycunt".

Remember he is a sleekit *.

For me theres now way he is constantly in talks with the board about exactly what he needs and they are just like "eh no get on with it" he's probably barely speaking to them and not doing much.

Mind the other day even about O'Riley he said something like "I don't know about that any bids or anything, I only heard about it this morning". How is the Celtic manager not hearing about bids for the best guy in the team. He should be in contact with them constantly wondering if this guy is sold and what he needs. For me I don't think he's interested in whos signing or going or anything like that and is relaxed thinking if we're not that strong im in a good position with excuses.

Remember in his first spell also, fans were desperate for Gordon, Lustig and Sinclair to be replaced as they were stale and past it but he just kept them and played with them. Even though one of the first things he tried to do was replace Gordon with De Vries and it went * up he played Gordon for another 2 years after that never trying to replace him again even though he was the Scales of the team with fans having panic attacks at his attempts to chip the ball out to the full-backs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024