1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Its all about the potential MOR sale imo. Brendan will know he will get a chunk of that and can get a better LB /CB / with an enhanced budget . If he signs all the other positions before that sale than he has missed an opportunity to get that next level of quality he is wanting . We will have players identified for two scenarios (if he is sold or if he stays ). Once he is sold or we know he is staying things will move . It may be the last couple of days.

2. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    You could be right you could also assume that they thought there would be movement on Tierney and/or Frimprong by now

3. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Shouldn’t come into it, there’s a shed load of money lying around, we’re about to go into a champs league campaign that will see another shed load of money coming in, the squad depth is decimated. We should be able to spend money without even selling Matt O’Riley. It’s a cluster *

4. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    MOR if hes not gone within the next few weeks, because of the long contract will be gone 100% within the next 13 months.

Therefore we should be having a pipeline of talent coming through. The bar on transfers was too low last season therefore then Kwon and Holm arent able to step straight up.

I for one arent against the buy young and sell on, its a good model. But that younger player needs to be a better standard

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Why do we need the MOR money to buy?

Answer is we don't. * bizarre if that is the reason.

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Would've been nice to at the very least get the Idah deal done and dusted ahead of tomorrows game, but that was just asking too much, as yet another week goes by with no new signings.

Random Review and BrownsGhirl8 like this.
  7. Sgt Neppers*

So we require about 5 signings. Genuine quality was stated, not just about quantity. We have 3 weeks left to do this, after signing 2 back up, and a first choice GK.

It's not happening. Anything less and its been a poor window. As it stands, we're weaker than last season.

Someone can't do their job or they have purposely not done it. Either way, there's gross negligence going on with a set up and strategy that is non-existent in parts and outdated in it others.

Small minded and weak is who represents us as figure heads. They need sacked.

stevoEOS likes this.
  8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    All eyes are on Rodgers, he's the guy that has to face the Media answer the questions and put a brave face on it.

There's no getting away from the elephant in the room.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  9. CountyDownFaithful

He just says the same * every time though and it goes unchallenged.

Where’s the difficult questions?

‘Brendan, you said improving in Europe is one of your key objectives this season, how do you think your transfer business to date is going to help you achieve progress?’

‘A lot of supporters are frustrated at the calls for patience. The club asked for patience in January and later went onto apologise for a lack of signings. How can you reassure fans this isn’t going to be the same?’

10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    The budget will be far bigger with the MOR money . If he only wants to bring in 3 or 4 or real quality he will wait until he has his maximum budget to bring in the best. There are more than likely players of significant outlay that he wants that he will only be allowed to sign if we get 25m from the MOR sale. He could maybe sign a 4 million LB now but knows he can sign a 10 million one if MOR goes ( as a very hypothetical loose example ). He maybe doesn't want to be in the position where he gets a huge cash injection but has already filled up the positions on lesser players than he would have done with the extra cash .

Whether you agree with that practice or not I don't think it's out of the question considering we have not put a significant bid in for anyone other than Idah.

Celts88 likes this.
  11. themouth1888

If we have genuinely been trying to get players in, then we are truly *. In our best ever financial position with 8 guaranteed CL games.

If we were ever going to have a chance to punch above our weight with transfers it was this season.

T.Rogne25, Hammy89 and henriks tongue like this.
  12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Rodgers can't see further than England, and our scouts are poor. A perfect recipe for a slow window even if our board weren't the embodiment of jokes about stingy Scots.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  13. TheHappyLoss

Cheered up a wee bit. Watching Charity shield, Man Utd still have Johnny Evans, Harry Maguire and Casemiro. Looks like their transfer window has been as bad as ours

henriks tongue likes this.
  14. Lewis Kerr

This. Without a genuine DOF, head of recruitment or professional scouting set-up, we're always going to see these amateurish windows.

Rodgers and Lawwell do not work together. Simple as that. Rodgers' eye for a player is notoriously dodgy; and when he does actually identify someone decent, the board doesn't sanction it.

It's basically a recipe for disaster. This is Rodgers' eighth transfer window with Celtic under Lawwell/Desmond. He's only had one good transfer window: Summer 2016 (Dembele, Toure, Sinclair, De Vries, Gamboa).

Really, really poor all round.

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    In fairness, they're just about to spend £70m on Mazroaui and De Ligt from Bayern Munich.

Sentinel likes this.
  16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Article from Chris Sutton today

Celtic's message to the London Stock Exchange said the next financial figures will exceed expectations.

Their work before this transfer window closes has to do the same. It’s not a case of will they spend handsomely before it shuts. After that Stock Exchange note, they simply have to. Let’s get it right, there isn’t a fan in the world who wouldn’t be delighted to see such a healthy projection of financials

Celtic have cash in the bank and there’s buckets more to come shortly with the Champions League. But it’s an age-old issue. When supporters know there’s money in the coffers, they want some of it spent. This is a two-way street. If the fans are going to fork out to hand it over, they want to see the club pay some of it out to improve the team. I’m almost tired of talking about transfers in this column. With every passing week the fans are getting more and more relentless as regards the dealings

Celtic simply have to produce some rabbits from hats. The manager is craving quality and the chance is there to go and add it for him. Trust me, the players want it, too. I know what it’s like. You get such a boost when quality arrives into the unit.

It lifts everyone and makes you feel you are getting a helping hand. Boys like Callum McGregor, who has now ended his Scotland career, have earned that. If ever there was a time to push the boat out a little, this is it surely. Listen, Celtic are run brilliantly. You don’t get that sort of money in the bank just through fans’ investment in gate receipts and merchandise.

Club chiefs know how to run their model and they do it with poise and professionalism. They try to get the best deals and there's nothing wrong with that approach. Put it this way, if the figures that were coming out of Lisbon were correct, Benfica wanted £6 million to do a permanent deal for Paulo Bernardo. The general consensus is that Celtic managed to get it over the line paying out just an initial £3.5 million.

If that is the case, they have got the Portuguese midfielder for almost half the initial asking price and that type of shrewd business work is what has put Celtic into this healthy financial position

But, now and again, I’d say you have to go the other way. If money was saved on Bernardo, add it to the Adam Idah deal and get that over the line quicker. It’s a huge risk gambling on Kyogo being the only recognised striker. I get there are no Champions League qualifiers, but you can’t become complacent and think every game domestically is a forgone conclusion

Hopefully, the Japanese stays fit, but not keeping or replacing Oh Hyeon-gyu in the short term has left Celtic unnecessarily short.
    As I said last week, it seemed needless to me that the Irishman was faffing around Norwich City during the pre-season schedule when he really wanted to be in Glasgow. It just doesn’t seem Celtic’s way to pay over the odds and I get that, but there have to be times when you go that little bit beyond to secure a sure thing.

Idah is no gamble. He’s proven himself and, more importantly, Rodgers has made it abundantly clear that he wants him. So go and get him. When I talked earlier about things being a two-way street, that goes for buying and selling of players. Clubs like Norwich aren’t just going to roll over and accept the first Parkhead offer they get for Idah. That cuts both ways. I’m sure fans of Southampton, Brighton, Atalanta or whoever would like Celtic just to accept the first offer which hit the table for Matt O’Riley.

Celtic fans would be irate if their club did that and took a figure below what he is worth or what they feel they can get for the Danish international.

So, on that score, you can’t have it both ways. But Celtic fans need to be shown before this window closes that their club is going to match the ambitions they have and deliver some real quality into the building. There have been so many positives from pre-season and last week’s win over Kilmarnock, but it’ll only take O Riley to leave at the end of the window and, no matter who comes in, his quality and importance won’t be replaced immediately

However tough the Champions League challenge has been, it will become so much tougher without their best player.
    Judgement time will come at the end of the window. Yes, you want deals done earlier. Yes I feel the core of recruits should be in the squad right now

But I’m willing to accept that the ones Rodgers wants aren’t yet fully available due to circumstances at their clubs and the many moving parts involved in sealing deals. I’m quite sure fans don’t want another £10 million or so of their hard-earned cash wasted on players who don’t make a first-team impact, as happened all too obviously last summer. Also, big fees aren’t always the answer. Let’s face it, O’Riley only cost £1.5 million and he’s a gem. So is Reo Hatate for about the same outlay.

But those fans do want money spent and spent well. Listening to some in recent weeks, you get the sense that recent windows mean it is hope rather than expectations when it comes to what will happen in the market. That shouldn’t be the case, not when the club is sitting on such a mountain of money.

None of these fans are asking for £15 million players. They know it’s not viable. At the same time, they are entitled to think that some real quality is going to come in the door. And the healthy financial announcements mean that is, quite simply, the only option available to the hierarchy.

Celts88 likes this.
  17. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hanibal £9m
    Idah £6m
    Schlupp £2m
    Balikwisha £5m
    Bernardo £3.5m
    Sinisalo £1m
    O'Shea £8m (if release clause true)

That would have been a spend of £34.5m

We have taken in £19m (once lawal goes) since abada left (am not going on those stupid transfer market fees am going on the local media (signing country) reports

So that's a spend of £15.5m with the potential of another 5 or 6 (not counting matt leaving) say you get

Lagerbielke (£3m)
    Mikey J (£3m)
    Nawrocki (£3m)
    Yuki (loan)
    Kwon (loan)

That brings your net spend down to £6.5m but have seriously enhanced the squad

Now I know that's not how transfer fees in terms of spending and income works (in terms of payments) but * me it is easily achievable when you have £82m cash in bank and * guaranteed increase from Uefa payments and £2m minimum in ticket sales from the additional UCL game potentially a playoff game too!!!!

18. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    getting desperately sick of repeatable checking Celticnewsnow for new signings so I asked Co-Pilot if we’d sign new players and the answer is below, so, no worries now …. aye right

Celtic has been quite active in the transfer market this summer, with several signings and exits already confirmed. As of now, they are in advanced talks to sign new players, including Jeffrey Schlupp from Crystal Palace1.
    Given the ongoing negotiations and the club’s ambition to strengthen their squad, it’s likely that Celtic will make additional signings before the transfer window closes on August 31, 20241.
    Are you excited about any particular player joining Celtic?

at this stage I’d be excited if we signed new catering staff

Celts88 likes this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We won't spend £10 million on a LB no matter what we get from O'Riley. I have total confidence in this prediction.

20. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Well it's a pretty sound prediction .