1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. themouth1888

Where are all the happy clappers at? Some usually follow me around threads but they have been quiet recently. Just wondering how happy they still are?

Mr Shelby likes this.
  2. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The club are beginning to play a very dangerous game here. We need an absolute minimum of 4 players, in 4 different positions.

Left Back, Centre Back, Centre Mid and Striker need addressed but I’d be very unhappy if we didn’t sign a winger.

That’s players we know the club were linked with now starting to become unavailable. Balikwisha is sidelined for 8 weeks and unlikely to move this window. O’Shea on his way to Brentford. Bueno looks extremely unlikely now and the Idah transfer is starting to get ridiculous.

I still have faith we will strengthen but we really need to be getting players out the door. Why players like Johnston, Kobayashi, Kwon and Lawal aren’t out the door already is extremely worrying.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

100% down to ange? Wasn't it also the time we had that rugby ceo come in, sign a boat load of targets whatever the cost for ange, and then get dumped for doing to good a job? That was a strange one.

I can actually see this being partly rodgers fault. He even admitted he could have had 10 players in the first month. He's saying no. He's after 2 or 3 top quality players. Even if we "pay the money" there happens to be another 10 clubs who will be paying it aswel.

So in one way it's great He's not allowing the board to lumber him with shveds this time.

Then we get back onto ange. His first window was great. That's it. Coinciding with the rugby boy. After his first window barring meada, what other good starter did he get? Seems to have left us with a load of 2nd or 3rd choice * from lawell n his sons return. His perfect signings. Cheap and a project.

So in one regard, I'm glad rodgers is saying no to that type of pish. In the other it's very annoying having to wait. Hence I'm not making judgement until that window closes. Most of even anges best signings came at the very end. If nothing materialises... then aye, let's all get fuming together.

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hatate, O'Riley, Mooy, Johnston. Permanent deals for CCV and Jota.

5. murphy88

Looks like we will be heading into our second league game with still only one senior striker and left back. I expected a shitshow this summer after what’s gone on recently, but this is even exceeding the shambles of last summer the way it’s going.

6. Von_Esper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I'm still confident we will get what we need...

Idah/Alternative
    Left back
    Left Centre back.

I actually don't believe we need another centre mid or winger if all players stay but would be happy with either if it was real quality as a bonus.

I would love it if we got the 3 mentioned above plus someone on a pure loan that would be usually outside our reach like Buonanotte especially if it was 18 months.

I would always try and get one loan per season of someone who could push for player of the year even if they would never sign permanently.

Crilly likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Fundamentally, Rodgers and our board just aren’t a good fit.

He’s ambitious and wants us to compete in Europe. Bring in a higher quality of player and work with a smaller, but better squad.

The board are happy just to be slightly better than the huns and no more. Spend pocket money on young projects in the hope a few of them earn us massive fees a couple of years down the line. And occasionally they’ll sanction the odd £5m+ move.

Something has to give.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This is what I was saying the other day.

I'm amazed Desmond hasn't stepped in. I'd imagine Rodgers has a direct line as they're pretty friendly.

Clearly he's not arsed either.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think I could accept where we are at if we had 2 strikers, and I think Rodgers is mental for risking Kyogo when we were 3 up.

I still think we sign players but I think the club needs to stop 5 year contracts for absolute diddies.

TheHappyLoss and Hammy89 like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm not surprised as such but I thought after the last two it couldn't get any worse. Particularly with them literally apologising for the past two windows after January.

Would reiterate there is of course still time and the window is open but as we sit here today on the 7th August, one outfielder signed who was here past season and not even a main starter, its a disgrace tbh. All the excuses in the world will no doubt come from certain people but no-one can convince me that it should take this long for even one or two additional players.

The "waiting for quality" line is wearing thin. If we scout correctly, offer the right money and negotiate properly then things should surely be a lot quicker even with higher level targets. It can't all take until the final few days of the window ffs.

11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We've waited so long that the quality must be off the charts.

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Can only imagine that the board already have their end of transfer window message typed out - oops, soz agen.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. murphy88

You’re right, it probably was crazy to keep him on at 3-0. I look at it from a different perspective though. Rodgers shouldn’t be in a position where he has literally no other option to play up top. I do wonder if he kept him on the park on Sunday to highlight this, because everyone could see the sensible thing was to take him off as he is our only striker.

14. sabzz1888

Let's not forget Kyogo is still carrying his shoulder injury that needs operated on.

Can see it all falling apart this season if we don't invest in quality for the right positions.

Shocking the way we are being run

NakamuraTastic and Skelleto like this.
  15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye. No point getting excited over rumors, because we all know how it's going to be. People can't be arsed fighting the rancid board, so they get to do as they please.

16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Think this is where our problems stem from. Desmond couldn't give a * and his remit to the board is essentially win the league and keep us breaking even/turning profit. Board are left to their own devices too scared of failure to show any ambition, doing the bare minimum to keep winning domestic titles. Meanwhile to break our glass ceiling we need to step outside a comfort zone that we're so deeply embedded in we need to invest to another level that we seem * scared to do without Desmond's say so and he's off playing golf in America the whole time.

Mr Shelby and TheHappyLoss like this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

Thought that at the game Sunday too. Felt it must mean we were confident of bringing a striker in this week and that why Kyogo didn’t come off. No sign of that yet. We are all bored saying the same thing but it is absolutely shocking.

18. Foley1888

I agree I am not saying otherwise, I am just giving my view on what appears to be the thinking inside the club.

I also believe we don’t look deeply at what we are doing, it is why we continue to struggle with recruitment and it forms habits. Some examples:

- we have signed 2 players from South America directly and they both have been expensive flops. We won’t shop there.

- We spent money on getting a champions league keeper in Barkas and he was a flop so we will now not invest heavily in a goalkeeper.

- O’Riley, Wanyama, Van Dijk, Ajer and Forster all got us big fees at their respective times and were sub £3m so we should just shop there.

- £25m is our asking price for any good player we have.

- Jota came from Benfica on loan to buy and worked out so we should just keep going to that exact club.

- Julien made a big loss as signing an experienced player who was good for us, so we shouldn’t be doing that. Spoiler we badly could be doing with signing someone of that ilk to partner CCV.

- we signed a Swedish Centre back in Starfelt represented by one agent and he worked out so let’s take another from the same agent in Lagerbielke.

- we spent £5m on two players without a loan to buy first and they flopped, so we need a loan first for any big investment.

- We got three good players out of four from Japan. Let’s just keep going there.

There is no consideration for causation as to why any of the things above happened for the better or not.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's all been said mate hasn't it.. constantly repeating what's needed and where we are lacking as an elite minded club..

The board have done an excellent job in convincing a lot of fans the barometer of success, is purely turning players over for a healthy profit.. he hear people saying Bernardo will be our next £20m player, not what he could bring to the side.

You wonder if we saving up to revamp the main stand or something, if they are better to be transparent..

Random Review likes this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Totally agree, haphazard, reactive and no vision in recruitment..

Maybe I'll bump one of my many DoF or Fan Ownership Threads... :56:

Random Review and JML67 like this.