1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Don’t encourage him…

Dublin Celt likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't have anything else to say other than that I disagree entirely tbh.

I sometimes wonder if you watch our games :giggle1:

henriks tongue, martin_d and paulo123 like this.
  3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It’s quite a damning indictment of our transfer policy that Tierney left in 2019, spent four years at Arsenal and a season on loan at Sociedad, and theoretically could return to us this summer having never been properly replaced until he replaced himself.

4. oh bhoy

this is rodgers third transfer window and he has yet to make an impression,ange said it best that if he hasnt got the players he wants then he hasnt done his job convincing thoes that hold the purse strings that he needs them. rodgers cant just wash his hands of previous transfer windows like its nothing to do with him . gk and cm(presently) aside we are badly short on qualitly in every position

NakamuraTastic and Lewis Kerr like this.
  5. cammy07

I have a feeling KT is ultimate end game for the club and we’re just trying to get by and plug gaps until he becomes available either that be a loan with a view to trying to sign him or on a free when his contract is up. If it is it’s a dangerous route to be going down given his injury history plus huge wages.

There’s still plenty time so don’t need to be all out panic mode quite yet but there’s positions on the park we desperately need to strengthen and September will quickly come around.

We’ve all seen this game far too many times for me to have much confidence in that we’ll get what we really need, total * take.

NakamuraTastic and The_Bhoy like this.
  6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    They mean the squad is thin with quality options.

I don't think it's that hard to understand or agree with.

So we only need a striker and left back? We could need another midfielder if O'Riley leaves? Could? Is 'could' a synonym for 'abso-*-lutely' in your vernacular?

Is that you, Peter?

NakamuraTastic and stevoEOS like this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The squad is deep:giggle1:

The squad is abysmal. And thinking all we really need is a striker and left back is delusional.

We’re fine in the goalkeeping position. I’d say in every other position we either need a better starting player or better strength in depth.

8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think this could be true too ala Renato Sanches with benfica

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

10. murphy88

Hammy89 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  11. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Not sure where anyone thinks this squad is acceptable. We went 2 months last season from Novemberish where we were abysmal beyond belief. We were pish in Europe, again, and let's be honest, we had to rely on a collapse from the Huns in the league to get us back into it. We were also second best for much of the Cup Final.

We need to take off the rose tinted glasses. This squad needs a big injection of quality, not a barely keeping it at the levels of last season.

The board are complicit but Rodgers needs to make sure they don't let him down because he will ultimately carry the can if results and performances aren't good enough.

NakamuraTastic and celtic20 like this.
  12. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I don't know any fan base from a big club that are so obsessed with how much players cost and their wages. Most care only about how good they are and what they bring to the team. We have an element who are too happy to look at the the financials ahead of everything.

And then when we sign a player, we start to put a value on them!!

13. stew37

I can't think of any club that doesn't have fans who discuss and debate player value/cost/wages. Not sure Celtic fans are any more 'obsessed' with it than others; it's understandably a fairly common subject.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    You are on 53k a year, doing 36 hours a week Monday-Thursday. On call over the weekend. Can’t find your profile on transfermarkt yet

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  15. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It's Def an obsession for many. I don't blame them, it's been a culture that's enabled and encouraged by the board with constant promotion of a wage cap, projects and gems. And then when we do get a player that excels to actively look to sell them on. Which is fine when we are skint.

16. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I agree and have said similar in Beck thread.

Wouldnt be suprised either if Tierney envokes Andy Webster rule and terminates his contract next summer so we can get him for even cheaper

17. murphy88

That’s not really true to be fair. We were never out of the title race. We went to Ibrox and played them off the park until the farcical penalty they got, but regardless, it was still in our hands when we left Ibrox, and then we won the game against them at Celtic Park also. Them bottling it helped us to win it more comfortably, but even if they win the games at Ross County and Dundee, we would have still won the league. This is something the huns seem forget as well, when they say they gifted us it. They didn’t, we won it.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  18. henriks tongue

It's far too big of a focus for our fans in my view.
    We are starting to think like a board, what's he worth, what's resale, what's the contract length, sell on etc.
    We boast about how much profit we got for this guy, how much someone might be worth.
    Having more money than Rangers.
    It's utterly meaningless if it goes into the bottomless biscuit tin and never reappears.
    But worse than that, we now talk about things like he cost too much, we shouldn't spend more than £6M, oh that's too much.
    There is no 'we've got more money than you' cup.

In my view, as fans we should be demanding no sale of best players, and continually getting better in - we should be * off when our best players leave, not getting excited about a meaningless (in sporting terms) transfer fee.

The custodians (that's all they are) of our club have a duty to put a successful team we are proud of on the pitch, that entertains and consistently meets or exceeds our potential as a top 30 European club - using the money that we donate to them.
    That's it.
    If they can't, then someone else should.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2024
  19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Guchi Gucci likes this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For me, the worst period was just after the January break. We were getting outplayed by SPL teams for entire halves of football and in one case (was it Hibs away?) an entire game. Worse than that was watching us panic against St Mirren at CP and giving up 2 points. Never seen anything like that against SPL opposition other than the Huns and maybe very rarely Tynecastle.