1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Along with a few heads...

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. Lewis Kerr

But of a riddy that we'll go through an entire pre-season without any new outfield players.

The pace at which we move at is * poor. Can only cling onto the hope that we're trying to sign better, more established players that take a bit longer.

Still not good enough though.

Hammy89, Twisty and thailandceltic like this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The one that amazes me is Bernardo! I guess it takes a long time to scout the right player, do due diligence on a player we don't know, persuade the other club to sell, persuade the player to come to Scotland, er, squeeze every last penny we can off of the transfer fee. :39:

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We always hear that line though, that we are chasing quality. That the quality we are after takes time etc.

It never comes.

Question for most folk though, say we keep a hold of all the main players of last season - so O'Rielly stays.
    Only Bernardo and idah plus a loan deal for a left back come in (gk sorted of course as well), would folk be happy?

Because that's what scarily looks to be the case about what's happening.

I doubt anyone has any faith of a replacement for Matt should he leave.
    It seems to be left back hasn't been addressed properly and striker wise we would seemingly be looking to the youth - step up Mikey.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Were CCV, Starfelt, Jota, JJ and GG not quality?

6. Lewis Kerr

I was trying to be diplomatic because I don't want the happy clappers to jump on me calling me a doom monger, miserable * etc.

I'd be happy if we signed 4 quality first team players: LB, CB, CDM, RW. If Matt goes then another CM. Then we need a third option for ST. I don't even rate Idah that highly either if I'm honest but I'd obviously take him. So there's a long way to go before I can feel content.

The sluggish window is all too familiar. It's like groundhog day and I'm sick of repeating it but we've got £100m sitting in the bank and are terrified to spend a penny of it. It's ridiculous.

Random Review and Peej like this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Generally accepted the Ange year was an exception to the rule.

Hammy89 and Random Review like this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Don't worry, I'll take the slack and admit I asked the question of you first :56:

We've been through this for years upon years now.
    How some folk still clap along and believe things will be okay is a mystery to me.

I'm sure we will sign more than I suggested above, very sure of it.
    But it won't be of the quality we need.

We regularly decline. Seems to be 3 years of *, then one year where we splash a little then * the bed and decline again

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The Bernardo deal has made me start to wonder TBH. I wonder (and I'm aware that this is pure speculation) if we approach all deals like this. I mean, if ever a deal was a slam dunk, it has to be this one; and yet we are pushing it out further and further in order to keep shaving a bit more and a bit more and just a little bit more off the transfer fee (and possibly wages too?).

Do we approach all deals like this? I was only half-joking above. If we approach normal deals with this approach, deals where we don't know the player, or when the club isn't keen to sell, or the player is hesitant about playing in the SPL, or any combination of those factors and we go in with the same attitude; well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that we have struggled to sign real quality for a while now.

FrankMcCallum and The_Bhoy like this.
  10. Thebs

Definitely would not be happy if it's only PB, Idah and a loan added. We have sold Abada, Oh, Haka etc and have not even invested any of that back into the squad. We constantly tell the world that we are making money and sitting with plenty of the bank. That could contribute to why clubs dismiss our low ball offers so quickly. It's probably safe to say we had funds left over that wasn't used last season because of our bad transfer dealings.

Peej and Lewis Kerr like this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They were mate; but they were all brought to the club (although not necessarily signed) 3 full years ago. In addition, all but 1 have already left and not one of those was replaced with similar quality.

12. Lewis Kerr

Bang on, it doesn't actually amaze me that we never seem to show any ambition whatsoever because the vast majority of our fans accept mediocrity. You see it over the forum constantly - the cries to "remember the 90s" and "we've never had it so good". "Aye winning trophies every year is * isn't it".

This short-sightedness has made us a laughing stock on the European stage. * forbid some fans like myself want us to actually improve and operate like a serious football club. If you excuse our owners and this board after decades of negligence, I'd seriously question your sanity.

Guchi Gucci and Peej like this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And it's not hard to see why an exception was made given the previous season.

Peej likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I believe we do.

There was a story from dom McKay time that we took weeks to get back to clubs, that it was a different person each time that made contact and information was all over the place.
    I don't believe for a moment that was a Dom McKay issue, I think it's the club.

Saw a video recently with Kris commons, saying about how we haggle and * folk off as well.

So yeah I firmly do believe we are terrible to deal with as a club.

Random Review likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Pretty much.
    Rodgers was backed when he first came in, then decline in backing him and the squad. He left.
    We backed Ange, declined since.

Lennon first stint was the same.

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Iv all but accepted that we probably wont start the season a stronger side than the one that finished last season.

We are moving far too slow, even with the addition of Bernardo we still need a striker, left back, centre back and thats before the inevitable eventuality of O’riley leaving.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Until the day O’reilly leaves I’d actually say the squad right now looks better. We have a better keeper and better number 2. Got rid of a few players already bloating the squad out. Have kwon and lawal back from good loans pushing for those holding midfielder spots. Which let’s be honest, McGregor won’t lose his place in the squad and Bernardo will come in to play alongside him. Anderson back from a promising loan in Austria.

we could obviously always strive for better. But as the squad stands right now I’d be confident of those first few league games. If we had CL play offs it’s a different story but we don’t.

we must have a few players normally out of our reach we’re waiting on for decisions. Look at O’reilly…he is guaranteed to leave but because he has 6+ options he’s waiting it out to see who he wants to go to/who offers enough and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s deep into august he leaves

honda likes this.
  18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    None of those mentioned are an improvement than what was in the squad last season. As it stands, we have one striker. We need to be securing Idah or moving on as its drawing too close to the season start and if Kyogo gets injured we are in a situation.

We lost mooy, abada and jota in the past seasons and never replaced them with players who offer as much as they did. Even Starfeldt was a loss.

Kuhn has looked promising and Schmeichel made a few good saves but it remains to be seen how they will show up in competitive games.

But we are not currently stronger and we also need to be looking at an O’riley replacement now and not scampering about towards the close of the window

19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    People always seem to forgot to mention Abada too. He's a massive loss. Kuhn had looked promising in pre season but big task ahead of him trying to replace Abadas numbers

G_portillo likes this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We’re also not punting players, which is another issue.

Overloaded with pish in the squad and we struggle to shift them.

neilly1987 likes this.