1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Agreed. Taking a more active approach in identifying the positions he wants upgraded and the sort of player he wants for each position but letting the board and the recruitment team get to work.

If we get Bernardo and Idah in before the 1st game of the season, I'll be happy enough. I would have really liked to have seen another CB in as well but if we keep O'Riley for now, I want LB, CB, CM and Winger in by the end of August.

2. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    we’ll have to be better, that lovely non-partisan spfl computer that does the fixture list has given us, kilmarnock, hearts, huns and Aberdeen as our first four home games that’s probably 2nd-5th at seasons end.

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The fact he has had to fire a warning shot should set alarm bells ringing with the support

4. henriks tongue

Under the guise of communicating to the fans and using very carefully chosen words - Brendan is setting very clear expectations for the board.
    Not "hope" or "would like" or "should" but expect
    Over to you CFC:BR1:

“So at some point before the end of August, I would expect us to have the players we want in"
    “I’ll make it clear to the Celtic supporters, we know we want to improve the squad and by the end of the window shuts, I expect us to be that.”

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
    Random Review likes this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe reading too much between the lines but talk of improving the "squad" is not what we're all waiting for here. We need to improve the team to in turn improve the bench (squad).

If we see nobody in before Kilmarnock then its a big concern.

martin_d likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Again, heard similar last summer.

Time will tell. Its not him I'm worried about as I know he wants the same quality we all do.

It's those above him. And if it goes wrong, he won't stick around.

Rydo1888*, Peej, Sgt Neppers* and 2 others like this.
  7. henriks tongue

Might be wrong but last season it was 'i coach what I'm given' at start, this changed in Jan window to 'we need to get quality in' etc
    I really think the language (and Brendan takes great care on this) has ramped up as well as his personal expectations.

He personally took credit for bringing Kasper in and he has now set clear expectations for the club.
    It's different this season, hopefully also has desired effect

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He changed his line a few times last summer.

I distinctly remember an interview in the managers office at the training ground where he was talking about bringing players to compete in the UCL etc and then it changed over the window.

Could tell it didn't go as he planned. Has to be different this time.

Peej, 88jimmij88 and Random Review like this.
  9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has moved to quell Celtic fan worries over the summer transfer window by insisting the club DO have priority targets.

Hoops fans have been questioning their side's lack of movement in the market so far with just two goalkeepers brought in led by Kasper Schmeichel and Aston Villa's Viljami Sinisalo. The manager, as we at Football Scotland revealed, is after a number of signings before the start of the new season and he hopes to move quickly after a "long" discussion with the club's money-men in the USA

Celts want to add Adam Idah up front as well as Paulo Bernardo in the midfield while they are also keen on a third striker as well as a left-sided centre-half.

And Rodgers confirmed they're working hard. "I had a long meeting with Michael and Chris today, we know the targets we want to bring in," he said after Celts beat Manchester City 4-3 in North Carolina. "Still a long way to go in the window, our concentration is that we know what we want to do, the priority positions we want to improve

While the club is getting on with that, myself and the coaches were really focused on the improvements of this team, physically, tactically and technically.

Yeah, at some point before the end of August I'd expect us to have the players we want in

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Laying down the gauntlet to the boys above him.

henriks tongue likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    To me I think there's still a disconnect there between what he wants and what the board want.

It's fine to say we are working on it etc but as usual this window has so far been draining and full of the usual soundbites. There's nothing to suggest they've learned their lesson yet.

We have a fantastic manager, great facilities, amazing fambase and lots of cash. The chance is there to really be aggressive in the market and push things through.

Can't stress enough how big an opportunity this is.

12. themouth1888

He doesn't really who these players are. I'm expecting Idah and Bernardo lol.

All joking aside just these 2 wouldn't be seen as improving the squad unless he means from right now. See what happens but as others have said we've heard it all before.

Fool me once shame on you Celtic but fool me 100 times then shame on me.

13. henriks tongue

Having now listened to interview clip rather than just reading the quotes, this is a VERY clear gauntlet that's being thrown down.
    It's not reassurance to fans as sky report, it's a message to Lawell and Nicholson

14. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He has a great relationship with Desmond by all accounts so surely he can relay his concerns to DD and get in the players that he wants.

15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Things are totally different this year. Last year we were persevering with the Mark Lawwell project, which Rodgers was on board with when he joined clearly.

The fact that that project is now binned means it's a different approach. Rodgers is now the man dictating which players we approach, rather than merely giving the go-ahead for players other people have sourced.

There's no 'gauntlet' been thrown down, Nicholson will support him to the highest standard within the parameters set, as is just basic common sense. Think folk believe Rodgers is going in demanding certain players and Nicholson is saying 'naw Peter doesn't want him,you're getting this guy instead'. It's * ludicrous.

Bottom line is, if we're going for a higher calibre of player there are no guarantees we get them over the line, due to a number of factors. People crying conspiracy don't deserve to be taken seriously in the slightest as far as am concerned.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Michael Nicholson is the Chief Exec.

17. TheHappyLoss

End of August !! Aaaaaaargh!

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well said, Brendan Rodgers.

19. Pacific Ocean Blue

Surely there's justification of concern at lack of transfer when we're less than a fortnight from the season starting?

Mr Shelby and Random Review like this.
  20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Yes, I think people are justified to be a little bit uncomfortable.

It's not just concern, though. It's utterly mad hysteria in here, at times.