1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sween

To be fair, I don't think it's panic or bed *. I think most people on here reckon celtic will win the league this year and likely a cup as well. There isn't a sense that we are 2nd best. Rather it's just a constant frustration watching a slow and gradual decline happen while fans opt to put millions into a bank account that isn't used to improve our team. It's a dull ma

Now actually feels like the right team to vent. Because when the season starts we will inevitably get behind the team and if we beat Rangers in the first derby then we will be happy to be top of the league. We will then almost inevitable get pumped across Europe through to Xmas, may have a wobble in the league as we struggle to cope with europe and domestic football, hope we strengthen in January but to no avail, have a moan but then mellow out as we go on to win the league. Rinse and repeat.

This is the time of the season there's actually a bit of breathing space to objectively assess what's needed. Of course we don't know for sure until the end of August but it feels like we've seen this movie before.

evilbunny1991 and Random Review like this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's a tough one to say til after the window at least.

It was clear, the majority of his first season signings in his first stint was his players, Sinclair, deVries, Kolo, Gamboa top of the head.

But by third season, it was clear not many if any was what we would call his signings.

Last year, clearly none in the summer was his signings. We discussed in here if Nawrocki may have been but the way that's panned out it doesn't seem likely.

Think the only one in the entire season we can say he wanted, was Idah.

KS for sure is a Rodgers signing, the Finnish lad I want to assume is - but I think it will be telling how we use him if he is or isn't.
    If he's used with the actual plan to have him take over from KS, then we will see him in cup games, European games perhaps, and certainly in some league games.
    If he doesn't feature at all, that says otherwise.

Bernardo I'm intrigued by though, I'd not put him down as a Rodgers signing last season at all, we utilised a successful connection, but his words on Bernardo have been positive to suggest he has agreed/been happy with this to be made permanently

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Random Review and The Prof like this.
  3. ML6

Folk seem to forget just how poor this squad was at points last season and it is now weaker than it was in May, too many focusing on how much of a shambles the huns are just now yet we wont be far off being just as much as a laughing stock if this current squad lines up in a champions league match.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Weaker this summer than start of last season when Rodgers came back in.
    Which was weaker than the start of Ange second season.
    Which arguably was weaker than the season before what with Josie, Giakoumakis and Logic all leaving that season.

Since Ange came in, we initially hit gold and pushed on - after that first season it's been three years of decline.
    We are weaker than we was when Ange lifted his first league title.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

5. CountyDownFaithful

Haven’t been concerned at all but now we’re like 10 days away from the start of the season, it’s a bit worrying that we’ve not completed some of the basics like signing Bernardo and Idah on perm deals.

By all accounts both players want to be here, we’ve had weeks to come to an agreement with their clubs.

The fact the other mob are in meltdown should have no bearing on our transfer activity. We’ve got a chance to bury them!

Peej likes this.
  6. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    We are a * joke see if the roles were reversed they would be wiping the floor with us .I do not expect much more to happen with us maybe oreily out and a maximum of 2 in micky mouse pish .

Peej likes this.
  7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Wonder if the board will halt more funds cause we beat City.

mayo and Peej like this.
  8. themouth1888

After watching the first half bs Man City (was shattered) it backs up what I thought.

Middle to front we are not bad but need depth and some extra quality. At the back though it's a * show and that defence in the champions league will get crucified. Yes we have AJ and CCV but Scales is not up to it and Taylor simply cannot be the only option.

Peej likes this.
  9. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The holes in our defence will get exposed badly at the top level. Having a LB who comes infield often and is slow to get back into position will be shown up. Scales at times covers for GT and does it well, but if he can’t it leaves CCV and AJ as the last options. We don’t have a defensive midfielder who is good enough at that level to spot the danger early and be in a position to either cover GT or get back in front of CCV and Scales.

Schmeichel could be the guy who could be the one who maybe sneaks us a point in the CL rather than a defeat or a win rather than a draw. He may just turn in to be the best business we do.

My own feeling is that Rodgers sees Scales as our first choice CB and that worries me. I love GT. He never never hides. Always 100% committed and clearly loves playing for us. He should not in any way be our first choice LB. He is so slow at making overlapping runs to the point where he may as well not bother. Palma would probably fare a lot better if he had someone behind him who could take defenders away to make space.

We are so very close to having an almost complete set up. Another quality CB in the CCV mould and a left sided AJ would be ideal.

Random Review, JML67 and AdamRS like this.
  10. henriks tongue

Hope big Peter wasn't watching us v Man City, he'll be padlocking that tin shut as we speak.

Skelleto likes this.
  11. Foley1888

It’s clear from the line up last night that for the first team, left back and centre back are a big weakness. As you say CCV and AJ come back in to provide some quality on the right side of defence. I actually would like to see us sign and attacking left full back that can provide width on that side and see what that would do for the likes of Palma and Maeda.

It would require us to sign a good mobile left centre back to cover across but I do think an attacking left back with good pace and some stature would make us considerably better.

The team put out last night looks decent middle to front but then there isn’t much behind those 6 or anything at all in Kyogo’s case. Also we will likely lose O’Riley.

Peej and Jacob knows like this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Probably already in the phone offering pennies for some of the young city guys who looked good :56:

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Rodgers told the press after the games that he has indentified the positions he wants to strengthen and Nicholson is running it while he's focussing on Pre-season in America.

Says he's very confident we will get the players we need by the end of the window.

14. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    That sounds promising. Finally some good news.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Squad depth is just awful. Kyogo went off and we had to stick Mikey Johnston up top. * grim.

And that back 4 we had last night wouldn’t look out of place at Motherwell.

We played some brilliant stuff, albeit in a friendly, but as long as we have some of those defenders playing regularly for us we’re going nowhere. Would happily see all 4 of them punted.

16. ardis1967

Stevie Wonder can see what positions we need strengthening. Imagine going into champions league games with Taylor and Scales again. Frightening

Crilly likes this.
  17. Foley1888

Sounds like we are doing it again where we treat the first few domestic games like preseason still.

Don’t get me wrong we won most the games last year but didn’t really play well in any of them.

Ross County (H) 4-2
    Aberdeen (A) 3-1
    Killie (cup A) 0-1
    St Johnstone (H) 0-0
    Rangers (A) 1-0

I am hoping we are better this season in that initial stretch.

Mr Shelby and JC Anton like this.
  18. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    brendan last night, I just hope he’s right …​

“There’s still a long way to go in the window. I think my concentration is that we know what we want to do, we know the priority positions that we want to improve.

“Whilst the club gets on with that, myself and the coaches are really focused on the improvement of this team.

“So at some point before the end of August, I would expect us to have the players we want in.

I’ll make it clear to the Celtic supporters, we know we want to improve the squad and by the end of the window shuts, I expect us to be that.”

https://www.67hailhail.com/news/bre...cholson-as-celtic-look-to-complete-transfers/

Peej, Dannybhoy81 and Crilly like this.
  19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think it's likely that is the case. I think Bernardo and Idah will be signed up before that point but I don't think we will have made any improvements to the squad from last season, apart from in the goalkeeping department.

20. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Make no mistake, this is very much a warning shot to Nicholson and places him right in the firing line. Rodgers has made very clear who is to blame if things don’t progress the way he’d like.