1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I read the other week that Man Utd rejected a bid from an EPL club as they didn’t want to sell him.

It was a big fee aswell like £40m

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    My expectations for this window were low but even then I thought at least one of Idah or Bernardo would be in now.

The fact it's taking so long even on the latter is weird. Unless we have a lot of surprises in the pipeline, August is gonna need to be one * of a month.

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I get that emotions run high on these things; but you are not discussing this in good faith right now.

First you interpreted the mouth's post in a daft way so that you could ridicule him. You didn't truly believe that he was making the mental claim that the amount of posts a TalkCeltic thread has should have a bearing on our transfers, yet you chose to interpret it that way. Quote:

Second, you are choosing to interpret my claim that a vague correlation is plausible between length of time, frustration and numberas some kind of scientific statement requiring a mathematical formula.

Will you really only accept that posts tend to go up with time if I work out a mathematical formula? I wasn't arguing for any simplistic linear relationship like N=kT or something. In fact I don't know what the exact mathematical relationship would be or even what parameters would have to be included; I was just pointing out that N and T do tend to correlate positively. But then, you knew that. Didn't you?

In the absence of signings, do you really find it totally implausible that people tend to post more when they want to express frustration?

It's like if you and the mouth had a date and you kept him waiting for an hour at the subway station and when you arrived, he complained that he'd been waiting so long that nine trains had passed since you were supposed to be there. Now, I ask you; would you answer him by saying that you don't see why your arrival time should be determined by the number of trains that pass? Would any good-faith answer ignore the obvious point he was making and ridicule him for claiming that arrival times should be determined by trains passing? And if I interjected to point out that the number of trains that pass correlates with the time he had had to wait, would you deflect by asking for a mathematical formula?

No, mate, you weren't being totally honest in those 2 posts.

4. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Starting to think the board wants O'Riley sold before spending money. That sounds mental with the cash we have in the bank. But with what we've seen from Lawwell over the years, it's probably right.

themouth1888 likes this.
  5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    100M in the bank and we spend 1M.
    Is there even a rumor of a LB or do we just bungle along with Taylor?
    One striker on the books right now.
    What exactly is the position with Larger and Nawrocki, are they staying or deemed not up to it?
    I thought the last 2 windows were a disaster but this one may just top that.
    A week and a half to KO and thats where we are at.
    Rapidly becoming an embarrassment. There is no way BR is going to accept this nonsense.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  6. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    We can only ldream of signings like that while PL would only have nightmares :88:

7. themouth1888

Even if we end up doing business we have still dragged the * out of it.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. Pacific Ocean Blue

The board are happy spending * all whilst a large section of our fans are too busy worried/slagging off Rangers.

Sgt Neppers* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

And folk like you are morons who don't understand lifes not football manager.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

And? We have an entire transfer window to do our business.

There's no "unwritten" rule that we have to have every single player signed x amount of weeks into it.

I really do understand the frustrations, but calm the * down you impatient bampots man, it's * embarrassing!

11. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Fans suggesting we still are not near the closing of the transfer window are missing the point of coming in as soon as possible, getting a full pre season under our coaches, working with team mates and manager on a new style of play and hitting the ground running as soon as the league begins.

themouth1888 likes this.
  12. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I have a feeling it might be more get bodies out the door before more coming in. I’m
    Hoping august is a big month regardless of outgoings as I think we NEED 5 first team ready outfield players to be coming in and possibly another 1 on top of that

88jimmij88 likes this.
  13. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Aye because the club always exceeds the expectations of the supporters with their transfer business.

Not like we've been waiting for certain positions to be reinforced for upwards of 2 years.

thailandceltic likes this.
  14. stew37

Not missing any point mate. Just understanding it's not as easy as some fans make out when you take into account things like actual financial negotiations and a Euros tournament over the summer.

Anyone with a brain would prefer we did all our business in the first week of the window and we use the rest of the break to prepare but it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

If we don't bring in any more players I'll be disappointed but I'm not going to lose the plot just yet.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This

All the times over the years we've said "can't wait to see O'Riley/Hatate/Maeda/Kuhn etc get a full pre season to see how they improve" - after signing them in January.

This is the exact same.

16. ardis1967

disappointed isn't the word I would of used :56:I have been critical of the window so far but I do think we will see some bodies come in. The Bernardo thing is extremely frustrating though and seems to be dragging on far too long. Completely understand we have haggled down the price but it's still taken a bit too long

Peej likes this.
  17. Crilly Hakuhna matata

O
    I reckon it’s done and all but no rush to get him in as there’s no need to bed him in etc and they don’t see any harm in him joining up after america. Hopefully they’re not pushing for it to be confirmed quicker as they’re working harder on other targets :fear:

ardis1967 likes this.
  18. Rory Gielty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Mctominay will be on at least 75k a week and is an established premier league player who could go for 30/40 million. Players that haven't even played a minute of premier league football down there go for 20 million from youth systems. What planet are people on

Wee Baldy likes this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I still think we're trying to make the signings we need. I think we know the positions we want to fix, and I don't think we want to hoard money. I just think we're failing to get deals done and I think the Bernardo and Idah situations bear that out. Both players have already proved their worth and both players want to come and yet the Idah one is looking doubtful and even the Bernardo one (though I think it will happen) is taking an astonishingly long time for a deal where all 3 parties (Celtic, Benfica and Bernardo) want the move to happen.

It just doesn't scream huge levels of competence IMO. I really hope they turn it round.

20. stew37

I agree it's frustrating but I can only assume there's a reason for it. Other clubs are looking for the best deal too, it can be precarious.

I don't think the outlay the board put up for sales mirrors what we put in and what we've brought in in sales, but have said before, I understand why we need to be more particular than fans would like at times. Some things don't work out and it's a financial burden. Nawrocki and Lagerbielke were done pretty quickly and with a decent outlay and they've no exactly been revelations. If every signing went that way we'd be *.

ardis1967 likes this.