1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think the point he was making is that the number of pages in the thread is arguably quite a decent indicator of how long things are taking and how much frustration fans are feeling, since the number of posts plausibly correlates quite strongly with both of these.

themouth1888 likes this.
  2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Agree with @Mr Shelby , notions of boycotts are moot.

People pay alot of money for season tickets etc and aren't inclined to let that money go to waste. It's also incumbent upon us fans to support the team on the park.

What's needed, imo, is a large scale protest. Constant and targeted.
    We had fans with board members photos on banners crossed out et al, and it garnered ALOT of negative press for the board, so much so, that Lawell "retired" after the 10iar debacle and heads rolled.

Ange and success followed, which resulted in a real feel good factor around the club. Which saw Desmond, with every inch of the brass in his neck, usher Lawell back in through a side door. Some people were actually * stupid enough to claim it was a straw man appointment. Myself included. He had no power. It was a ceremonial gig.

Here we are again, history repeating itself, and we STILL have fans who think the club is waiting on "quality".

It's time for action. Every supporter in every seat at CP should be holding a photo of Lawell and Desmond with a big red x through it.

Every supporter should singing Dermot Desmond get Tae *.

Plastic sharks, mars bars, protests before and after games... The whole * enchilada.

Lewis Kerr and SK89 like this.
  3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The club have always signed players later in the window for nearly 8/9 years now. It's the way it is and will always be because of our financial standing within the wider football context.

There will always have to be a degree of patience when it comes to us signing players and especially when it's players that we feel are the 'quality' we have been lacking. These players will have other suitors and teams will all be fighting for the best deal possible.

pablo, honda and stew37 like this.
  4. BigDoggyWoofWoof

What quality players have we been in for that we didn't get?

5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I'm sure there will be a number of players we have missed out on throughout the years.

6. jvalin

We were reportedly interested(?) in Callum O'Hare who signed for Sheffield United on a free transfer. If you ask me, O'Hare > Bernardo. Another example is Miovski. We were linked with him last season. Seems like that ship has sailed. Aberdeen's asking price is too steep. He's linked with a move to Bologna. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples as well.

7. jvalin

If we are talking throughout the years, the obvious answer is McGinn. Fwiw, Sinisalo said he talked to McGinn prior to signing for Celtic. They were teammates at Villa. McGinn had nothing but good things to say about Celtic. After all, he's a Celtic fan.

8. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    I think this season there are players in this squad will have come on massively and will surprise a lot of people so i wouldnt be getting too bothered about filling the squad with dross.i know we need one or two quality players but that kind of quality we need won't want to play in this league unfortunately so all we can really hope for is projects that hopefully come good .or older quality players who have a point to prove for their last few years.if o reilly goes which I think he will that money needs immediately re invested or they will face a backlash of mega proportions

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nobody and I mean nobody can condone the lack of in coming activity in terms of transfers even the biggest board apologists must surely 12 days from the league starting be thinking this is unacceptable!

10. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    "Folk like you"... The board love happy clappers like you.

11. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    How is that even possible, what are the metrics for this? Amount of posters multiplied by potential links? It's just daft

Many other posters have said this as well but there is enough credible things to moan about we don't need to make things up like this

12. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    2 weeks till the season starts and still no Left Back. No CDM. 1 recognised striker. But... I'm sure the board are doing everything they can to bring players in.

Players coming in now won't have benefitted from a full pre seasons training. They won't have benefitted from adapting to the managers style of play. This happens. Every. Single. Season..

The messing about with Bernardo and Idah is frankly an embarrassment. To be shuffling back and forwards over the fee or wages or whatever should be beneath us, but rarely is. Agree a fee and wages and sort it out. If not, move on. Are we really only focussed on two players?

You just know the board are waiting on MOR to be sold, (I'm convinced now he will be), and then use that money to bring in some late additions.

No ambition from our board other than just do enough. Barely enough.

No fan of the club can back how our board are determined on us accepting absolute mediocrity on a season by season basis.

13. FrankMcCallum

Canny wait for the Champions League to hear the opposition tell us how great our atmosphere is, after strolling about our pitch with their * out for 90 minutes again, naturally.

14. themouth1888

Best atmosphere FC

FrankMcCallum and Wee Baldy like this.
  15. ardis1967

:56: some fans absolutely lap that up as well. * clapping opposition when they go aff as well

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Honestly, I am just gonna sit and read the few pages back in a few months time and have a giggle...

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

18. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Why makes you so sure? High-profile transfers often leak, clubs talk, players talk, agents talk. I can't think of many established players we've been seriously pursuing and then outbid on. Maybe Ivan Toney and he only went for about £5-6m. I don't really believe we're continually and seriously pursuing players that can improve the first team from day one, not when it requires us to part with more than a couple mil anyway.

You reckon we were ever really in for them? I ask that because I didn't see us linked with Miovski other than in the eyes of the fans. As for O'Hare, I don't see how Sheffield Utd could pip us to the post on a free transfer. I would think we would appeal more as a club and probably offer better wages. Maybe we were in, I don't know, but how serious could we have been if he went to Sheffield?

I just don't think we seriously pursue players that raise the first-team level because we're excessively risk averse. We only take on development projects or try-before-you-buy loan deals. The board had their fingers burnt on deals like Ajeti and Barkas and now I think have no interest whatever in an initial fee beyond the £5m mark for anything other than a former loanee. I don't think we look at players in that price range with a serious interest to pursuing them. If we were, it would leak, you'd hear about rejected bids and deals falling through but that just doesn't seem to happen.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    At how bad our business turned out to be in the end?

:BR1:

Sgt Neppers* and Random Review like this.
  20. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Are there any reliable "in the know" type guys out there with any idea of anything genuinely happening and not just daft stories about McTominey coming?