1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam Idah

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 31, 2024.

Discuss Adam Idah in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think lots of last summer signings were run past him first. Tilio, Kwon, Yang, Holm and Nawrocki were likely brought to Ange months before. Rodgers still has responsibility over them too as he could have blocked some, but I don't think we should treat Ange as some transfer pariah.

2. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Agreee with all of that outwith the valuation. It's possibly a bit on high side but he already proven here and he's got that same quality Giakoumakis had in that he can come on and you feel confident he will get you the winner you need. Never felt that about Oh.
    He scored winners at easter road, fir park, what should of been winner at ibrox and winner in Cup final. For me that is the very definition of a big game striker. His goals massively contributed to us winning the league and banking £40m+. He's also the guy the manager wants therfore he's worth whatever we need to pay.

Like you say, if we don't want to go that high then offer a respectable offer, not this constantly lowballing as all that does is * clubs off and make them more likely to be difficult to deal with and hold out for full price or not sell to us at all. Seen it before, Mcginn being most famous one. It's just classic Lawwell. For him saving 100 grand on a deal is more important than the player being in 3 weeks earlier and be fully up to speed for start of the season.

The scenario of us signing him late is likely but another 2 scenarios are we continually try to play roulette with a team that have no interest in playing it and a top end championship club or bottom Premiership team come in and pay it without blinking and eye and then offer him wages we can't match OR we continue with 1 striker until he inevitably gets injured and we are then forced to pay over the odds for Idah bcoz we are desperate

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    This is going to backfire massively, because 1 had one first team
    Striker, don’t say we have Meada as back
    Up, cause he’s not going to get us goals like Kyogo.

The way we usually conduct our business I bet he is our only target for a forward and we are going to * ourselves over.

4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Bernabei, Kobayashi, McCarthy, Siegrist, Shaw... we've only just gotten rid of Oh and Haksabanovic.

That's not including the players we signed this season who Rodgers, admittedly, still approved. Kwon, Yang and Tilio were clearly discussed with Ange and given the go ahead.

5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Genuinely, what detrimental effect do you think haggling over the Bernardo deal has on Callum McGregor and/or anyone else in the first team?

6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I think not having players in on time for preseason/beginning of the season has a detrimental effect due to fact it takes players time to get to know one another and get up to speed with managers way of playing etc.

Obviously Bernardo has been here before so maybe not as relevant but he's not the only signing we need to make.

Surely youd agreed having Schmeichel only play potentially a game and a half with his new defence isn't ideal before competitive action starts.

Same goes for the left back amd centre back we desperate need they should have been here and on the tour and getting settled in.

Having then come in late imo isn't an ideal scenario and we'd be better served if that fat * lawwell stopped haggling over every * deal he does and just got players in early and paid them an extra months wage for the benefit of the team.

7. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Time to revisit SVH. Our first choice.

8. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    It's OK joking about that just now but if we don't get the striker the manager wants we will no doubt be scrambling about last week of the window and signing one of the useless dicks off the recruitment teams list of dud strikers that the manager doesn't rate and will end up sitting on the bench offering * all while we run Kyogo into the ground again.

9. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I still think he looked a decent signing when we were linked. Obviously didn't go well at Norwich but same goes for Idah.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  10. horseshoe

If the Norwich manager is serious about taking a look at him I don't see the point in people winding themselves up that we've not got this done yet, what are we supposed to do, send someone round his house and tell him he's got no right to do that? If it's going to drag because of Norwich we might as well move on to other targets, and if they're seriously wanting 8m+ for him like the rags have suggested still don't think he's worth that anyway.

11. john2061

Either pay the * money they want or as usual from this board get a cheaper option then and the way we do transfer business is so * frustrating.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  12. henriks tongue

We can and should be aiming higher, someone who will ultimately be better than Kyogo and not an £8M back up.

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    You don't believe that Peter Lawwell is refusing to sign players to save on weekly wages. I'm going to pay you the compliment is assuming you don't actually believe that. Come on now. This guy seems to be some sort of * finance ghoul to some on here. He's a huge problem but it's not about saving £15k a week on a * player. He is a huge reason why we don't upgrade the structure of our footballing department but he's simply not bypassing on players to save on wages.

I'm not convinced that signing players late is that big a problem, I guess. We signed Jota, CCV and GG on the final day of the season under Ange and went on to win a double that season. We train every single day. You're looking at an isolated 90 minute game. These guys will be getting used to each other every single day in training.

We also didn't sign Carl Starfelt until the day before we played our first game, same thing applies. People will look at, what could be described as the short term pain, instead of looking at the long term gain. The whole transfer world has started pretty slow, to be fair. Whether people want to believe it or not, the Euros had a big say in that. On KS specifically, he was out of the Euros from the end of June. He clearly didn't want to talk about his plans until after the Euros, but Rodgers clearly wanted him. So, we've waited. The deal is essentially done. He's rumoured to be with us in the USA by the end of play today. We've just officially announced it yet.

I get it. People are frustrated. But it's not always on Celtic. There are numerous factors for reasons why we haven't signed players, as yet.

Pogues likes this.
  14. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I wouldn't put anything past that fat * when it came to saving money tbh.

Schmeichel fair enough as he's no doubt on holiday amd even if he had signed before euros he'd still be on a break but looking at our recent transfer dealings I doubt the euros would have a massive impact on us as that's not the level of player we tend to sign. It 100% should be but it hasn't been.

You make fair points but I just feel personally the earlier the players are in to then go on the preseason tour the better. I'd think the manager would agree with that too.

At present it's the 18th of July and our only business is a £1m gk who was at Exeter last season. Even the most ardent of Lawwell supporters can't believe that's good enough.

15. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Get this in the ex-player section :fear:

16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don't think it's good enough. I think we should have had the Bernardo deal wrapped up by now or at least have the medical/personal terms agreed, given the fee was agreed on Monday.

You seem to be focussing on a £1m price tag on a goalkeeper, granted it was the price, instead of looking at what we are essentially doing with the goalkeeper department. I prefer to look at it that we are essentially signing a new first choice keeper for a year or two, in Kasper Schmeichel and we have a long term succession plan with Sinisalo, learning and waiting in the wings. Who was extremely highly rated, both at Aston Villa and in the lower leagues of England. The Aston Villa fans are * off we have bought him and are furious it's for as little as £1m. We seem to be doing all that, while still having Siegrist and Bain still around.

We need to have a balancing act. Of course, we need players and positions addressed in the squad. However, we also need to keep ourselves in a strong position when it comes to selling players, which is why I'm shocked we sold Oh so quickly. I agreed with the sale, it was too good a deal to turn down but I think that's put us on the backfoot with Norwich, who are essentially asking for everything, knowing we need and want Idah and there is no other option at the minute. Rodgers clearly wants him, Norwich are aware we want him, aware that Idah wants to move and are using that to come out in the media and put pressure on us to pay them the money they want. We can't do that though, regardless of how much money is in the bank. The deal needs to make sense for both sides, which is why I'm sure there will be some sort of agreement somewhere in the middle of the two values. Right now, we are clearly measuring each other up before both sides come to the table and get a deal that suits us, them and Idah.

In an ideal world, I would rather have players in now, training and getting together in pre season. Of course I would. No one is suggesting otherwise. I'm sure every single football club in the world would be exactly the same. The simple reality is, no one has all their business completed by the middle of July. Absolutely no one. We've never done it either. People have a great deal of revisionism when it comes to the Ange signings but we made a * of a lot of signings in late August under Ange, when it became clear who was going to be available. It's just the way transfers work for us, in this day and age. It's a process that we are close to the bottom of and sometimes patience has to be our number 1 priority.

Pogues, Ryanm1984 and Westlondonscot like this.
  17. oh bhoy

Idah ain't the only striker in world football ,go get someone better stop * about

FranceCelt and johnboy19 like this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Rodgers clearly wants Idah, Idah clearly wants the move. Norwich are playing hardball. I'll bet there will be loose links to a striker in the next few days, essentially trying to force their hand and then it's going to be a case of who blinks first.

19. oh bhoy

That's their prerogative ,Idah ain't the be all and end all

20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    No one is suggesting he is. However, the manager clearly wants him so you try and get him. Until Norwich tell us he is categorically not for sale, which we know they won't do, there is a chance we get the player the manager wants. Obviously, we can't wait forever but I'm sure Rodgers will know exactly when to move on if it's clear we are going to be nowhere near each other in terms of valuation.