1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

See above - I've already said technically our academy is a failure with the lack of first team players being put through, but not for one moment do I believe it's simply because the young players aren't good enough or that the coaches are just pish...

Peej likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This.

The fact it's not been looked at since 2008 when you consider what we've brought through in that time is wild.

Again, just one part of the footballing structure at the club I'd look at.

Before we appoint Charlie Mulgrew as DoF and Bobby Petta as head of scouting.

We don't seem to look abroad to bring in better coaches OR young prospects. I'm all for Scottish talent and ofcourse that's a priority but other sides look abroad, even ones operating in much stronger footballing talent pools than we do.

JC Anton likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Nah I know this isn't an argument, don't worry man.

Years of this though has me at the stage of just wanting to rip it all up as such.
    Start again.

That's board out, fresh faces, new structure.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

4. Mr. Slippyfist

Wasn't aimed at you specifically bud, just want it made crystal clear I'm in no position to say yous are wrong.

I've actually been privvy (as you know) to the daily workings of a Premiership club, and have seen first hand young laddies who are excellent players don't get a chance at first team - not simply because they aren't good enough or that the coaches are * - but because there isn't a pathway from academy to first team (and at times I've seen an ACTUAL pathway that wasn't allowed to be crossed!)

Peej likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Naw, he signed for Liverpool on much higher wages than we can offer when he was 16. There was no chance to tie him down before their interest despite us trying.

T.Rogne25 likes this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not been great tonight.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Meanwhile, Parkhead gaffer Brendan Rodgers has revealed Daniel Kelly won’t be part of Celtic’s pre-season plans after failing to pen a new deal. The 18-year-old’s contract is up on December 31 and the hot prospect is being tracked by several clubs including Bayer Leverkusen.

The Hoops have already seen Rocco Vata jump ship for Watford but are hoping to persuade Kelly to stay. Rodgers insisted Celtic have offered the kid a bumper package and urged the midfielder to remain at the club. But he admitted he can’t involve him in his build up to the new campaign with the uncertainty.

Rodgers said: “There’s no impasse as Daniel, like Rocco, he has been offered a deal which is valued and, with the greatest respect, I have worked with young players and I know the levels of young players and where they’re at from a technical perspective and a financial perspective. Both those boys have been offered deals by the club

Rocco was offered it and he was going to be one of the three strikers at Celtic and he decided that that wasn’t going to be for him. So he then leaves. That is absolutely fine and we wish him all the very best. Similarly Daniel has been offered a really, really good contract

“A contract that would see him come into the first-team squad and play and perform and develop. I spoke with the agents and player some months back to say if we can’t tidy this up by summer, then it’s very hard to be with the team in pre-season

Rodgers is a huge fan of the player after handing Kelly his debut last term. He said: “I like Daniel but he has a lot of work to do and I feel that for him and the family, this is a great place for him to be able to do that

You’ve got a manager who sees a talent there, who sees the physicality he has and areas he needs to brush up. What a great club and place this is for him to be able to do that. If that’s not enough then that’s okay, absolutely fine. It’s disappointing that it hasn’t happened because he would have had a great opportunity this pre-season.

8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can have absolutely zero arguments with any of this, with regards Vata and Kelly. Big opportunity on a plate for them and they've knocked it back. Fair do's, catch ye.

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Very true, no point sticking about when you aren't getting played and your "Elite" manager is slating you in public.

That's a horrendous statement by Rodgers. Sure it hasn't been lifted from The Office or Alan Partridge?

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Sorry, but where has Rodgers slated him?

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Slated? Rodgers did not slate either of them, he's gave them assurances of first team football, progression and good money for where they're at. Exactly what we should be offering these boys.

All he's done is lay out the facts of the situation, something I was under the impression that we don't get enough of from the club. So I fail to see how Rodgers is deserving of abuse here?

James Mc, The_Bhoy, martin_d and 3 others like this.
  12. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Think that’s very good from rodgers tbf. Says how he wants him to stay and there’s a great contract and opportunity for the lad but we can’t wait around to be second choice. Think that’s perfectly fair. Really hope the lad signs though and puts football first before money. Will deffo get more game time this year or at the very least a good loan to maybe an spfl side where he will see a lot of minutes, develop and come back in next season. Could see him challenging for a spot though he’s very talented

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Glad he’s made those comments, confirms what most thought about both guys.

14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He told them to take what was offered or go. And that he'd decide what was right.

I find the whole statement petty and vindictive. If you see something else then fine but if trying to embarrass our best development players into signing under his terms is where Rodgers is spending his energy then that tells its own tale. Thought he was supposed to be making sure we got the right calibre of signings this summer.

oh bhoy likes this.
  15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Aye, completely agree with Rodgers and we've been doing this since Ange came in.

If they're not committing, they're not in the match day squad. Hard to argue.

I believe Rodgers when he says the deals on the table are decent.

Players need to be tied down sooner and on longer term deals though.

16. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Very fair comments from Rodgers.

Unfortunately it's the world we live in these days where other clubs can offer more money.

If that's the players motivation at that age then don't want them here anyway

Crilly, The_Bhoy and martin_d like this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Refreshing to see Rodgers say this.

First time in, forever, a manager has actually laid out a bit of a plan for a couple of youth talents.

I don't blame Vata for leaving, to him it's too little too late. Kelly, potentially salvable and more inclined to trust, with the game time he got laat season.

But proof is in the pudding and all that.

If he's offering Kelly to be in the first team squad, to me that's as the backup trip to McGregor, hatate and O'Rielly.
    So Bernardo(?) iwata and Kelly. That's reasonable depth and calibre, while affording Kelly game time

But if O'Rielly leaves, making it McGregor, Bernardo and hatate, with say iwata, Kelly and one of lawal/Holm - then the depth in quality is lacking.

That's beside the current point though, it's refreshing to see the manager lay out what the plan is, even a little bit

The_Bhoy likes this.
  18. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I think someone will come in to replace O'reilly when he goes, probably a loan on last day of the window as usual.

The place in the squad earmarked for kelly will now likey go to either Holm or Lawal.

Peej likes this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fingers crossed that's how it goes.

McGregor, hatate, O'Reilly (or adequate replacement*)
    Bernardo, iwata, Kelly/Holm/lawal (one of).

That's ideal.

*By adequate I get we aren't gonna sign a direct like for like, calibre for calibre. But it can't be another project in hope. It has to be someone more like a hatate level, ready to go. But perhaps unearthed, rather than undeveloped yet.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  20. oh bhoy

it wasnt that long ago rodgers said he doesnt need players to be first team ready at 18 rather 21 . whats a young player supposed to do for 3 years all the while seeing * arrive from the 2nd division in korea who will higher up the pecking order because money was spent on them and needs to be recouped as a priority .we had * all on the wings and gave game time to khun,yang and tilio i cant imagine vata could have done any worse and couldnt get a look in .kelly hasnt a hope of getting into the strongest area of pitch .i dont disagree if they wont sign a new contract dont include them and that only begs the question why was hatate droped in favour of turnbull .rodgers talks a lot of * moussa dembele alluded to fact that he couldnt be trusted . im pretty sure young players wont be taken in by promises of first team chances when there is no evidence of it

21. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Get him punted ASAP, he'll soon learn the grass isn't always greener.

Rydo1888* likes this.