1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bank Of Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by SK89, Jul 8, 2024.

Discuss The Bank Of Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum

Disturbing? Imagine what the lads who went through it feel if you’re disturbed about reading it.

The fact that people shut the down the conversation any time it’s brought up is disturbing.

The way it’s been handled historically, right up to the present day, is disturbing.

It’s a conversation about how well the club is run. This is one of the boards, consecutive boards, many failings throughout my lifetime, but by far the most damaging. It is highly relevant to the discussion.

If you think it’s been handled well, taking the welfare of the victims in to account, that’s your prerogative. Personally, the lack of accountability and responsibility taken, up until the Club were legally forced to confront it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach.

Ľubomír1 and NomDePlum like this.
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Who shut down the conversation?

Show your working.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Anyone with half a * brain knows that people cannot talk during legal proceedings.

I'm glad we are finally facing up to the mistakes of a previous board and that maybe the victims will get some closure but this fantasy that the current board should just come out and admit this or that is stupid in the extreme.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You won't find a bigger supporter of the rights of the victims than me. The fact is this current board did face it head on. It's for that reason they couldn't say anything.

Once this done and dusted I fully expect the board to release a massive statement and policy going forward.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Good man, skip by my entire post to the last sentence!

You know nothing about me fella, so don't presume I don't know more than other folk about how the victims of abuse of that nature feel, or that I am so short-sighted as to think some faceless character posting something on a forum post impacts me more on what abuse victims/survivors went through...

6. FrankMcCallum

Apologies.

That was out of line from me.

It’s a subject that’s affects many and to be honest it bothers me deeply what went on and it’s my opinion that much more could have been done proactively before it got to this stage.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

It's in the final leg though. Neither side can really say anything.

Let's hope the victims get closure. * the money but they should get that as well.

NomDePlum likes this.
  8. Mr. Slippyfist

Fair play, no need for apologies though.

What exactly is it you want the "board" to do other than what they've done?

How do YOU know that they are liable/culpable? And should be hauled over the coals?

See the vile, putrid * that perpetrated these crimes, they were sentenced in court and judged. So, unless CELTIC were actively involved, or some piece of burning evidence comes to light that someone/persons in high positions knew about it, then aye by rights and by common * decency it should be pursued as an overall case, but nothing is there or has been released other than illicit tittle-tattle.

Anyway, that's the last I'm discussing this matter as it has NOTHING to do with what was being discussed...

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yeah let's get back to real story.

100m banked for SAM missiles in the pursuit of Irish independence.

Som things are more important than football.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Let's be honest. All the genuine celtic fans like ourselves are fuming. Anyone kidding on they aren't are either trolling or they don't give a * about the team and happy to lap up laughing at huns. Happy clap at AGM and love a good balance sheet *insert Harry Enfield gif considerably richer than you*

The board are old boys club and *, they have no ambition other than to just be slightly end of.

11. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Being just slightly better than those idiots across the City is what The Board want us to be, they feel that We need a title race every season as it attracts Sky Sports and other Sponsorship deals who are interested in the "Old Firm", I don't believe that should be our benchmark and We should be looking to do all We can to improve our standing in European Football no matter if its the Champions League or Europa League, supporters are frustrated that We go into European games just to participate as the whipping boys and don't contribute anything, The Board on the other hand see Europe as a bonus as they are only interested in the money that We make from participating in the competition, It is embarassing that Mob across the City has had better results in their 12 year existence than We have had in that time, with this Board though, nothing will change, they have no ambition.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. saltire78

This for me, 100%. If we were progressive and aspirational towards European improvements, the domestic successes and dominance would fall in by default. We don't need to compare to the Huns. We need to look upwards, not down!

13. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Solution: as painful as it is, stop giving money to the PLC. Board need punished for their intentional hoarding of money.

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The next agm should be changed around so that the vote for the board is held at end instead of beginning.
    Force the * to answer the questions instead of just saying look we brought in money.
    Then they know they will be voted out for disrespecting the fans.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Agm is a farce.

It's not for ordinary fans. It's shareholders and at end of the day this board is making them money so they arnt gonna complain.

saltire78 likes this.
  16. T.Rogne25

I know next to nothing about finances and accounting but am I right in saying we have about 70m in the bank at the moment on top about 40m from CL and probably around 40m in player sales this Summer?

Be surprised if we spend more than 20-25m on players so what is that amount of money actually invested in next?

17. Sween

Sadly I think we are almost at that stage.

If we go into the Champions league with the likes of Scales, Taylor, Forest and even Bain (!) starting, I really hope the fans take a stand.

Itis not realistic to mass refuse to buy season tickets but the only message I think fans could send that would make a difference is not buying European night tickets. It would cost the club millions, it would show up the board on the biggest stage, and it would almost guarantee a change of strategy.

I doubt it will ever happen but sadly as long as fans continue to be good consumers the board won't care a bit if they moan on forums, at the AGM, or fly the odd banner. Stop giving money to the club is the only way forward.

18. Sween

That's about right. At the moment it will be sitting in liquidity funds earning over 5% so we are making around 3m a year just from interest. Not even any ringfenced capital for material infrastructure improvements to the stadium or anything like that. We did commit 5m to the Barrowfield development which mostly supports youth and women's teams but that's it.

T.Rogne25 likes this.
  19. murphy88

One of our most expensive buys over the last 10 years has been * disco lights.

20. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The thing about not giving the club your money is that you don't really need to organise a boycott, it happens quite naturally.

The stadium had a lot of empty seats all throughout last year. When the club's transfers, performances, and results are mediocre, people switch off. I would assume that gates, merch and general engagement are down on Brendan's tenure from that of Ange and people like boards and shareholders do take note of that kind of decline.

That's not to say they'll respond in the way we want, but the support's general discontentment and what it potentially spells for finances won't be lost on them.