1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The points they are making are the alternatives :56:- man you are loving an argument this weather @Mr. Slippyfist - black is white and vice-versa all week whilst telling people off for answering the questions you ask them. :56::56::56:

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Nobody is making any alternatives, hence my point.

At no time have I said anyone is wrong, what I have said is that every * generally at every point about the ENTIRE club is moaning like *, and I'm sick of the negativity.

HoopyT likes this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

I've spoke with you about this before, and I'd be all for a Director of Football.

That being said, a DoF doesn't make the manager pick the teams though, and if they tried it turns into a world of *!

Peej likes this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Your not catching me into your vice-versa whirlpool with that one.

I'm away to get some booze, watch Celtic whilst drinking it and then bump the threads of the players I think played well.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He doesn't, but he can have the youth coaches and setup done better.
    He can be in charge of recruitment/ensuring that we are not bloating the squad.
    He can ensure the squad is sufficiently covered with quality, that allowing a youth talent or two to be given a chance, isn't just because injuries forced it, but that the team is well covered that a youth player getting a chance isn't as big a risk as made out when going for titles.

It would go a massively long way to allowing the place to run more sensibly.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

6. Mr. Slippyfist

Try not to moan :56::56:

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Thank *, not heard this until now! Glad that’s the case otherwise we’d have been hampering youth yet again

Lupis likes this.
  8. Mr. Slippyfist

So can the manager btw...

Twice now over two spells Brendan Rodgers has said something like "I shouldn't have to look for a £10m player, they should be in my academy" - has he gave youth a chance? No. Not blaming only Rodgers, but we are allowed to make FIVE substitutions now, there has never been a better time to bleed in more youngsters - give them 15mins when we are up 3-0, 4-0 at Celtic park etc, instead (as you rightly say) our squad is over-bloated with "prospect" signings.

The only two youngsters I can recall who have been given a chance since what....2010, as opposed to being flung in as a result of desperation are Callum McGregor and James Forrest. One is club captain and one has over 100 goals.

Tierney was a total sliding doors moment.

The_Bhoy and Peej like this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

As everyone knows I'm all for a DoF, but wouldn't trust our board to get that right, they'd probably go with WGS or Martin O'Neil

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Which is probably the bigger issues, it isn't just the manager. The coaches at youth level haven't brought the players on enough.
    The league setup has taken an opportunity away, in the form of the reserve league, but the club do nothing to combat that either.

Everyone is to blame. More so when you say about the 5 subs, that is on the manager to give more chance to the youth talent.

It's actually quite pathetic how little talent has come through.
    17 years of the lennoxtown project, McGregor, Forrest, Tierney, Henderson, Ralston, Mikey and Welsh, the only names to have made a dent in the first team. Truly pathetic.

11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We have done nothing to address the problem of investing millions into our youth development and to get them into the first team.

The last player to do that was Tierney.

We need to properly look at how we keep our youngsters as long as possible.

We're doing terribly on this front.

In our current squad - Yang, Lagerbielke, Kobayashi, McCarthy, Kwon, Kuhn, Oh, Bernabei and Tilio are all players we've brought in for decent fees, they're on a decent wage and they're getting in the way of allowing other players getting on to the pitch.

We've all been screaming for Frame to get game time after his display against Feyenoord. Kelly should've been brought on more when we're cruising in the second half of games. Vata couldn't get a game when we had no one fit for the wings.

These players deserved more game time than those who we have brought in. Ridiculous not to play them.

We need to figure out keeping youngsters at the club. The easy start is to give them game time and a decent wage.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

What has me having heard of him or not got anything to do with it?

I'm telling you who is in charge of running the academy - as stated by the official club website. An academy that is quite evidently failing. Again, what have we produced since Tierney broke through? Two ordinary defenders who are pretty much being kept around to fill a homegrown quota. When was the last time we produced a striker worth his salt? Or a goalkeeper?

Could the managers have done more? Aye. But you're telling me Deila, Lennon, Ange and Rodgers are all just choosing to ignore the academy players even when they're good enough? What about the idea that our coaching and structure is not good enough to produce enough real genuine quality that cannot be ignored by the first team manager?

And as much as you keep pushing against it, the coaches we recruit is a massive deal. Put yourself in the shoes of a talented 16/17 year old Celtic player in the academy. He hears Leeds (let's say) are interested, and they have a coach who has worked closely with Archie Gray, Kalvin Phillips, Lewis Cook etc to get them where they've got to. Loads of experience and a good CV. Meanwhile at Celtic here comes Jonny Hayes as his new coach. Fresh out of Aberdeen with * all experience behind him.

Anyone with half a brain would be off like a shot for the good of their career. Why would you stick around when:

1) There's not a clear pathway (aye, manager's partly to blame)
    2) You're being coached by guys learning on the job, getting their role because they have a connection with the club.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

They did hire Strachan as a technical director :56::56:

14. Mr. Slippyfist

And this goes back to my point, where is the proof of that that it's solely down to coaches at youth level?

You're right, the blame is a collective, and from the outside in it at least looks like we're trying to resolve it. Will it work? Who knows, but we need to give it a chance at least!

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What are the alternatives?

17. Mr. Slippyfist

1 - Correct - there hasn't been a clear pathway. They're addressing it. Whether or not their measures work we'll need to see.

2 - all I see is blah blah blah

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just wondering, do you honestly have faith that what they are doing to address it is going to work? You don't see the flaws in how they have recruited for the position ?

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So you're giving examples of managers giving academy products game time (other than Rodgers), but then saying the managers are to blame for not giving academy players game time. Right.

Why are you refusing to put some blame at the door of the academy, the guys who run it and the coaches? You seem to have this blind faith that they're developing good players, but Rodgers is too thick or ignorant to give them game time. You seriously think if we had another Tierney, McGregor or Forrest in the B team right now, Rodgers wouldn't recognise that?

If you don't think our academy is failing then fair enough, but it obviously is. Clubs all around Europe are bringing through first team players regularly. Look at the clubs in Portugal and the Netherlands. Even Belgium.

We've been waiting 8 years to see a quality academy player in the first team squad.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. Mr. Slippyfist

I have no idea, hence why I'm saying we'll need to wait and see how it pans out.

I, like yourselves, don't know HOW they recruited, if O'Dea interviewed? Has he excelled as a coach?

And btw, I'm not saying ANYONE I've conversed with this evening is wrong, and I am right. What I'm saying is (like I have said time and time again) the amount of youth players we have brought through/played is shocking for a club of our size. It NEEDS to be better handled, and that is the question - how does it get better handled?

Peej and JC Anton like this.