1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Kelly

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Mar 24, 2022.

Discuss Daniel Kelly in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

This should really be a case of getting an SPL or top of league 1 in England loan lined up for him and then offering good terms to keep him.

I don’t see this the same as the Vata one, in that I think Kelly has a lot more potential to make an impact here.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Need to do all we can, here.

Don't think a loan to another SPL side will suffice if the German Champions are calling.

3. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agreed, has to be in amongst the match day squads, coming on as a sub and covering for the starters. We've a great chance of producing the next Calmac here, we NEED to try and see it through.

Crilly and NomDePlum like this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Unless we are keeping his resigning back feels like he's not going to sign a new contract. Been touted for months and everyone is back that would matter for getting this over the line.

Hoping he at least makes an appearance tonight as that would be positive but don't remember seeing him in the squad against Ayr?

5. Sween

If we can't get young players to sign contracts after their youth development period, we have no plan to bring them into the first team, and we don't get enough compensation to make it worth our effort, I'm not sure what the point in our youth/b team actually is. Very disappointing

Gabriel likes this.
  6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Pay our youth enough to keep them Vs sign average players on the other side of the world for "cheap". Decisions decisions

All the while we pay players like Montgomery who aren't good enough to hold down a 1st team place to have home grown players.

In the last 10 years Tierney is the only players from our youth to come through and nail down a 1st team place.

In some ways we as big a joke as that other lot

NomDePlum and Ryanm1984 like this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So he'll be gone then. Can't be as many "big" clubs as us who lose talented young players this regularly and after having seen almost none of them get proper first team minutes.

Doak, Vata, Kelly, Dembele, Hjelde, Hepburn, Morrison, Adam, Hughes. Probably more that I can't think of. And those have all left within the last 5 years or so.

Meanwhile we're spending millions on guys like Yang, Kwon, Tilio, Lagerbielke, Oh, Bernabei etc.

No wonder all these guys want to leave as soon as they can when there's no trust from the club to provide a pathway for them, and we're hiring ex-players and their mates (and family members) in our key academy roles.

It * stinks.

8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I can see why they leave. Even if we paid them, we wouldn't play them.

NomDePlum and The_Bhoy like this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Central midfield is our most in depth area, Kelly will be another Liam Henderson I think unfortunately. Staying with us, he’s never gonna oust any of those ahead of him and what player can develop with 20 mins here and there

10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    To be fair apart from doak (could change still too) that list of players have gone on to do absolutely nothing in football since so would they have done anything with us?

11. Crilly Hakuhna matata

How much is the barrowfield redevelopment? Surely upwards of 10million. What’s the point in investing so much money in the youth to just develop them slightly then lose for a free/development fee to another club. We can’t keep hold of any of our talented youths so honestky what’s the point?

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That's quite clearly not the point.

They were our best academy prospects and pretty much none of them had a sniff of first team football, yet we're happy to give gave time to absolute duds every year. They were clearly talented enough for scouts from Man City, Bayern, Liverpool etc to recommend signing them.

How their careers progress at those clubs is irrelevant. If James Forrest had left us at 17 to go to Bayern, he may not have gone on to have a career as good as he's had. Same goes for McGregor and Tierney.

Out of those names I mentioned in the original post, even if only two of them went on to be regular first team/squad players for us at least that's something. But there was no pathway for them.

JC Anton, The_Bhoy and Crilly like this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Unless things have changed I don't believe we pay them anything at all up until they are 16. Even then some who are kept on still only get expenses and those that get paid generally get the bare minimum.

Most kids going through our academy end up with next to nothing to show for it. If they don't make it generally it's finish up the year at school and transfer back to the local school.

We could easily address that with our finances by paying better earlier and treating all those who at the academy better. Maybe we'd see potential players stick around longer as they aren't having to negotiate deals at the very point where they are attracting greater attention, or just because we've valued them more earlier they appreciate what we can offer.

Developing our own players would make sense if we actually had a plan to progress them, or not take the huff when they actually consider the options open to them like Vata and now probably Kelly.

In all honesty I don't see a reason why Kelly would stay.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    Sween likes this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Think I saw that one of the lads who went to Bayern a few years back is likely to sign for a Championship side. Article made out like it was a bit of a setback for him but he'll have a career doing what he loves and make money doing it. Doubt that would have happened if he'd stayed.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's deffo away by the looks of it..

Annoying and something we're gonna have to address. We'll never stop our best young players being poached for buttons by the elite but surely we can stop as many going by giving them 3 year plans with worthwhile loans and game time, or at least a clear pathway to our first team..

Hammy89 and The_Bhoy like this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Exactly. If we can provide a clear pathway and offer wages that aren't an insult, we may be able to keep 1 in every 2 or 3 of these talents.

NomDePlum, murphy88 and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I wasn’t disagreeing with you bud, just showing the players used as a case. I’m sure that if it was raised to any of our past managers who didn’t use these players that would be part of their argument for not using them.

At the minute though I don’t actually see any superstars in our youths unfortunately

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Liam Morrison was at Wigan on loan so I’d imagine he’s who you’re on about? Hepburn had an absolute shocker at Queen’s Park didn’t he

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Wouldn’t this new loan rule seriously affect that idea though? Is it a max of 6 loans a year we can send out?

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Both were massively rated. Morrison probably more so than Hepburn..

Morrison still only 21 and gone to QPR in the championship so a good move and still could end up delivering from that early promise..

Haven't a clue mate. Didn't even know about it..

The_Bhoy likes this.