1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    It is, but I get the impression O'Riley is looking for the right move, not any move. Is Everton/Southampton that?

If Athletico Madrid come in and it's short of what we want that's different obviously. And given we don't have a replacement then selling him before that is a gamble too.

2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Gonny no go ya big handsome * as you're the only thing that Mrs Baldy gets excited about

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

5. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Calling bullshit :fear:

6. Ľubomír1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Let's not kid ourselves here. In the end it comes down to how much they pay him, and mid ranking English pay better than most now.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. Foley1888

You also have to consider if he goes to either of those clubs and does well he could be playing with one of the top teams next year. I know it’s not worked out for Lavia but he went to Southampton for a season signed for Chelsea, Liverpool also wanted him. Onana at Everton is wanted by a host of top clubs down there.

If Matt goes to EPL and plays well for a season he will be in line for a big move, within a season. It is why I don’t get people saying stay for another season have a pick of clubs, I just don’t see that being the case staying here.

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

9. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I think it's unlikely he's going to go to a top EPL team straight away simply because he isn't there yet. These clubs have more money to spend but they're going to spend it on proven prospects and they simply don't see the SPL as a sufficient proving ground for the top end of the EPL. That's all there is to it.

A mid-table team like Southampton where he can play a first-team role and prove what he can do at that level are more likely to see him as an investment that can play a role today. The downside is that teams like that don't spend £30m+ on 23yo players. £20-25m to an established mid-table side is what will transpire, would bet money on it.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Europa League winners Atalanta are stepping up the chase as they aim to come out on top in the race to land prized Celtic star Matt O'Riley.

Record Sport revealed Southampton readied an offer of £20m plus incentives for the Dane but now Gian Piero Gasperini's side have entered the mix. O'Riley – who agonisingly missed out on a place in Denmark's squad for Euro 2024 – has earned admiring glances from across the continent with Inter and Atletico long-term admirers of the 23-year-old

Saints boss Russell Martin is a long-term admirer of O'Riley, however, his former MK Dons manager faces a live fight to land a player he covets with Atalanta pressing ahead to bring O'Riley to Serie A. La Dea will return to the Champions League and their need for class in the engine room could be escalated with standout midfielder Teun Koopmeiners wanted by new Juventus boss Thiago Motta

Celtic have O'Riley under contract until 2027 and the playmaker featured in Wednesday's madcap 6-4 friendly win over Queen's Park. But the Premiership champions' resistance is set to be tested with O'Riley previously admitting to being affected by Celtic rejecting a bid from Atleti back in January

He said: “If I’m being completely honest, the first two or three games after the transfer window mentally it was a slight challenge because I felt somewhat of added pressure on my shoulders, just slightly. But then I realised I didn’t really know why I was putting extra pressure on myself. I didn’t really need to change anything. I kind of came away from that and focused on what I bring to the team. It clicked back into place again. Each season, regardless of it going well it will still pose a different challenge.

Crilly likes this.
  11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He'd storm it at Atalanta and Italy.

30m with a 15% sell on of whole fee and we'd be laughing.
    Lad will be there two years before Juventus sign him for 70m

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

13. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    That would be a great move for him. Atlanta are unreal at the minute.

The_Bhoy and Rydo1888* like this.
  14. Foley1888

Let’s see what happens but this felt inevitable, if they get to an agreeable fee then he will be off as Atalanta would be a cracking move for him.

As others have said I could see him move on again relatively quickly from Atalanta for big money so a sell on % is a must.

It might also tempt one of the monitoring EPL clubs into throwing extra cash at a bid for him.

Although it has me shuddering at the thought of our existing squad less Matt O’Riley for the start of the season.

15. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Yip Atalanta would be an excellent move for him

The_Bhoy likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hard to think of many teams he could go to that would be a better fit for him.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Would prefer one more season out of him and another crack at the CL before selling.

18. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Why do I get the feeling we’ll only kick in to life with the transfer window when Oreilly gets sold … This club drives me nuts with its outlook on transfers.

Peej and Artorias like this.
  19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Thought Koopmeiners was class for AZ. You could tell he was going on to big things.

O'Riley would shine for Atalanta.

A good fit if they can stump up the cash with a decent sell on.

20. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Can we kill two birds with one stone and get a player off them plus cash? What kind of wages is Bakker on? He’s a good left back but I assume he’s on a decent amount of wages