1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Skint Fc ffs we are skinflints,need players in and integrated before start of season to play in Champs league,biscuit tin is overflowing season after season we put up with this *

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Winning the league given the injuries and disastrous recruitment policy was definitely getting a tune out of them though. It depends what your definition of that is.

We won a double with a bang average team for most of the season with big players missing and big players sold.

Thats a decent tune.

I also don't blame Rodgers for wanting a better quality of player. If people seriously think he believes we can sign £20m players I dunno what to say. He's not an idiot. But he's a fan like it or not and can see, like all of us, that we need to be more ambitious.

He shouldn't be discredited for that. Not saying you are. But for me I'd rather have a manager pushing rhe board if he can than being content with what he's got.

AdamRS, Artorias and Random Review like this.
  3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Comments from Rodgers suggest we don't have a no 1 traget for gk despite it being 6 months since Hart told us he was off.

The way we are going about our business you'd think we had sacked our head of recruitment and not bothered our * to replace them.

Peej likes this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wow! You really nailed that! :56::56:

Artorias and Wee Baldy like this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What worries me is that I genuinely think we are trying hard. First of all, they know we can't keep doing this and expect to maintain a gap to the Huns: at some point, the Huns will get their act together and make us pay. The board also won't want the humiliation again of having to more or less apologise to shareholders for hoarding cash. Rodgers also surely won't put up with this for a 3rd window in a row. Finally, they're running out of scapegoats IMO.

So I think they are probqbly trying hard to make the signings we need. The question is, are they capable of it without Ange there to hold their hands?

6. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Not panicking yet. Still got plenty of time to go before the transfer window shuts so still pretty hopeful we'll get a few targets in but if the worst came to the worst and we do end up with a transfer window like last Summer then some people simply cannot continue to be employed at the club. There is no excuse this time around.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I don't think it can be an excuse any more to say we're trying hard and there's work going on behind the scenes, or it's difficult to get the right players etc etc, enough of the bollocks and excuses, spend the money and show some ambition ffs !

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If so, then they really ought to hire someone who can do that job for them, like a head of recruitment or a director of football.

They board had over two decades of experience here, albeit bad experience, but surely someone in there can learn from it?

I struggled last summer and January to understand and accept why Rodgers returned - not that I mind him being back, but just simply what does he think is different at the club that makes him feel better about this time, that it isn't gonna be the same as before - where he doesn't get the signings he wants, he's thrusted signings in to the squad etc.

Only thing that seems maybe to have changed, is the slightly less obvious thrusting of signings on to him, minus the obvious already in the pipe transfers we had last summer. But when then, I can't see him having really chased Kuhn or lagerbeilke either, personally himself.

So, will he accept a third window like this? Lord * knows. You'd like to think he wouldn't, but if he was to kick up fuss AFTER the fact, what's the * point?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Sgt Neppers* and Random Review like this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's all an excuse for being slow and lazy with negotiations and hiring the right staff to do the right job.

Heard enough over the years to know we are an absolute ballache of a club to deal with in negotiations.

Absolutely not comparing us to the Huns, don't care how many they have signed compared to us, this is not what this next point is, but the Huns are on what, 5 or 6 signings so far this window? They don't seem to have a hard time convincing folk to come here.

Surely if we scouted and recruited properly, identifying the correct targets from the correct league and markets that will see Celtic as a step forward, we should be able to sign someone by now?

No one is asking for us to sign a 3 season pro of the UCL who's scored in the semi finals or some *.
    Just someone who's already got a level of experience that would make stepping in to our squad and in to the UCL, not a case of tossing in a headless chicken to the games.

Kyogo, clearly no UCL experience, but came as an experienced player ready for it.
    Giakoumakis as well.
    Juranovic.
    Starfelt.

These of the level of players we need more of, that won't be caught up in nerves at the thought of a UCL game. But have a good few seasons in their careers to be able to treat the games as they are.

A recruitment team worth their salt, on the budget we SHOULD be paying, should manage that as a day job.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

10. murphy88

So did Ange not get a tune out of the players in his first season either? Same number of trophies as this season, better double in all honesty this season, same number of points, more goals scored.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Lol, brilliant.

Tbh it's * me off more that currently were * around trying to sign 2 guys we had on loan.

At best time we get back from US that's all we'll have in the door.

12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    It's a * disgrace we havnt hired a competent head of recruitment given how truly awful our dealings in the transfer market have been over the past 7 or 8 years (outwith the year that far * was in hiding)

Peej likes this.
  13. themouth1888

We signed anyone yet?

3 players down from last season. A season when Peter Lawell * boys had to apologise for defending him (they are defending him again tho which is *) and the board even come out with a half arsed sorry.

Apparently players wanted to come but their teams said no. Surely those players are easy got at now eh?? Or was that utter * maybe?

Let's be honest we need a minimum 6 players in over the same period we have dome * all so far. It would be laughable if it wasn't so infuriating.

The fact I pay season ticket money makes me feel like I'm actually being robbed blind and treated like a *.

Peej likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think we all know the score by now, the club do business as quietly as possible.

We rarely see players announced at right at the start of July, so hoping for a bit of news in the next two or three weeks.

15. BigDoggyWoofWoof

They work quietly and diligently all window long to get in some loans and punts in the last week.

16. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I reckon idah and bernardo will be in soon, then the other signings won’t come until we’re back from USA and brendan meets them face to face :BR1:

17. Mr Diggler

In a strange way I am glad we seem to be patient with our targets. Maybe the sign of a more focused approach. One of our biggest criticisms last season was the scattergun approach of last summer with very little to show for it. Loads of players will be on holiday after the Euros and throughout Europe very little business has been done. So patience is key here. 4-5 quality signings rather than 10 hopeful punts

johnboy19 and HoopyT like this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I didn't know Rangers had signed 6. That scares me a little, because there wasn't a big gap to them even before that. I took a look at the SPL transfers after reading your post and it's sobering reading:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cz779w964kyo

We are the only team with "None" next to "Ins".

Peej likes this.
  19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Rangers have had players like Lundstram, Barasic, Jack and McLaughlin leave plus their loans.
    We have had 1 first team player plus 2 loans gone. While we should have done more and believe a keeper should be in the door, I'm not fearful they have signed 7 (2 of whom we're there last season).

Their team had it's new manager bounce. In the last 10 games we were far superior to them.

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye, you could sort of make an excuse for them last summer. New manager who would want to judge the players himself and he wasn't in until July. Obviously it doesn't excuse it fully, far from it (It should have been obvious a LB and a GK to challenge Hart needed brought in) but they had somewhat of an excuse.

There was absolutely no excuse for the January window, and they knew it, which is why they came out apologising. A collapse from the huns got us over the line, but realistically when they went top, they should have went on to win it.

This time round, we have 2 GK's, (one of which is leaving and the other was third choice last year) 1 LB who isn't good enough, 1 ST that the manager trusts and only 2 CB's the manager trusts.

I'm at the stage where I'm not worrying yet, but considering the last few windows, I won't get on at people who are, because it makes sense.

If there's no movement within the next 2 weeks, I'll start to worry. We still have 2 months left, and some positions could potentially be left until August (I don't see us signing a CB or a CM until August, as example) but GK, ST and LB need done ASAP

Wllm likes this.