1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    We have actual tangible reasoning to "rant and rave".

Unlike you, who seems to think that we'll get good business done on the basis of what.

JC Anton likes this.
  2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good for you, batter in.

3. themouth1888

Double Dutch was made to look a * last year and had to say sorry.

Think it's safe to say he's nowhere near as confident this season but he's doubled down hoping we pull many rabbits out the hat so he can get his big I told you so's in and fair play to him.

Him being over confident is his way of dealing with it while calling the board all the * of the day is my way.

I actually hope he's right though. Don't get me wrong the board will get no pat on the back for doing their jobs for a change.

NakamuraTastic and JC Anton like this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The loose pattern we tend to follow since the start of this century is that the manager gets backed most in his first season then it tails off, especially in terms of overall impact transfers have. Last year was the exception where I think we gambled too much on prospects. Maybe it was also slightly different because we had a good core of the squad left from the previous season and didn't expect to lose Starfelt. I think we'll see Rodgers backed to a decent level this summer because it's clear there are a number of players in the squad he doesn't rate.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Well, I hope you're right..

I like to think I'm fairly balanced and we all want what's best for our club..

But, what I see is a club that badly needs to move with the times.. who are haphazard in their planning, with no contingency for when a manager leaves us..

It's very early, so maybe they will surprise us.

6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Plenty work to be done as a club for sure, to reach our potential. Hopefully we're all in the same boat come end of August and can start looking forward and actually enjoy the coming season mate. Up the Sellick.

JC Anton likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We will sign players.

My biggest gripe is we still have absolutely no structure at the club to fill me with confidence longer term. It's embarrassing for a club our size and with the finances we have.

There's no news on it either to indicate its changing anytime soon, so how are we scouting and leading the hunt for players? Relying on Rodgers? It's so dangerous and *.

We need a lot of work done this summer, the league win hasn't taken away the need for quite a substantial refresh/need for quality.

8. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    You're at it mate..:56: we can't even get two players we've had on loan and want to be here and the manager wants over the line.. not even getting into the GK situation..

Our "wage structure" should dampen any excitement you have on "big signings"

Rydo1888* and NakamuraTastic like this.
  9. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Time will tell mate :50:

thailandceltic likes this.
  10. Foley1888

The republican on KDS, the one guy that gets most things he says right, alluded to a dysfunctional recruitment team who hadn’t even had several of our signings last season watched properly and purely went off stats. He was also mentioning that the execs don’t think we have any problem, so don’t see a need to change.

JC Anton likes this.
  11. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Well it has for the past 20 years mate.. I hope you're right but if I had to put my life on it, I'd go same old same old..

Two words mate "wage structure"

Rydo1888* and NakamuraTastic like this.
  12. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not every window has been a failure. We're far too hit and miss granted, but we're not incapable of having a good window. I think, and hope, that this one will be a success.

Nae interest in throwing in the towel before we've even played a pre season friendly, * that.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Well they should all be sacked if that's the case. But won't be as our majority shareholder is also out of touch.

How can anyone watch what happened in our recent transfer windows and not think we need to change?

Blochairnbhoy, eire4 and greengrocer like this.
  14. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Their main KPI will be to win the league and nothing else. Evident with the fact that when we lost the 10, there was a glimmer of change.

I’d bet that they’ve all convinced each other that Europe is harder now so don’t take any notice of our failures.

15. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Wouldn't mind big kasper shcmicheal

totti-88, NakamuraTastic and AdamRS like this.
  16. themouth1888

It's a bad day when we can't even have some * drunk on a Saturday night making up a rumour to give us something to excited about. Even the arseholes can't be bothered anymore

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hearing someone big news coming this Wednesday apparently

19. Foley1888

Who is going to sack them when they mark their own homework? It’s just like the SFA, SPFL, refs etc.

There is little accountability as long as Desmond and a few others that have a decent shareholding are happy. If that wasn’t the case the board would have been cleared out ages ago. My theory is they like folk to just tell them they are right, and it’s another reason why we don’t have a Director of Football, as any decent candidate would want to gut our recruitment and youth development departments and rebuild them and there is no interest in doing that.

Even more so they don’t want fresh ideas or different thinking hence McKay being sacked very quickly and replaced by someone in the clique in Nicholson.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  20. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Brendan Rodgers has earned Celtic transfer risk that could see him blow Rangers away for title 55 - Chris Sutton
    The former Hoops hero, writing in his latest column, says his old club have a golden chance this summer.

Brendan Rodgers had a gulf between him and Rangers first time around.

If Celtic get it right this summer having been pushed for a spell by the Ibrox club last season, he has a big chance to create another chasm. Stage two of Rodgers’ second spell is fully underway with the team returned for pre-season training and the manager in a far-better place than 12 months ago. It couldn’t have been easy for him last summer. He knew some people didn’t want him back, but he promised to be back at the stadium in May with the title trophy and duly delivered it along with a Scottish Cup.

He backed his words up and, having conjured that Double, there’s no need for him to say anything this summer. European progression was also on his agenda and, although I’m not sure there were as many advances made in the Champions League as some people would have you believe, it remains a real motivation.

If Rodgers and Celtic make the right moves over the next couple of months, they have a real chance to both blow Rangers away and also make that elusive mark again when facing the continent’s elite. Let’s get it right, you should never look over the fence. What Rangers are doing isn’t Celtic’s concern. They have to mind their own business and they will. But, to those of us on the outside, it seems there’s a golden opportunity to hammer home an advantage over their biggest rivals.

Winning that title last season has whacked another £40 million into the Parkhead coffers and, at the same time, kept it out of the Ibrox piggy bank. That has a serious effect on what the respective clubs can do in this transfer market and gives Celtic a huge chance to stride further ahead. Philippe Clement needs to rebuild his squad and he’s not being helped by the fact that his bosses don’t seem so clever when it comes to rebuilding parts of the stadium.

Rangers fans aren’t interested in shipping containers and absent steel. Not being able to see their team play games at Ibrox is a ridiculous state of affairs. Listen, Rangers should be beating Motherwell and Ross County in the first month if they have to play them on the moon, but it’s not the point and it also has to have some effect on Clement’s chances in the Champions League qualifiers.

Ibrox has been a powerful ally in Europe in recent seasons. Not having it for qualifiers and failing to make the competition’s new-look league phase could easily see another £40 million jackpot disappear. Celtic are already in there. Rodgers can budget for it and he has to be given the chance to get some of the ones on his wishlist, even if it means pushing the boat out.

I was interested to see John Kennedy speak again about European impact during the week and the desire for it because it hasn’t been good enough from Celtic in recent seasons. Some of the performances on the continent have been dreadful and it’s something that needs to be fixed. No-one seriously thinks Celtic are going to compete for the trophy. That’s not possible in the modern world.

But getting some big results and trying to get beyond the groups has to be a target. Finally getting a home win, dead rubber against Feyenoord last season or not, got that monkey off the back for the upcoming term and being at this Euros, it’s been encouraging to see how underdogs such as Georgia can have success by having a go against better sides.

Ange Postecoglou wasn’t shy in stepping forward in Europe, even if it got him a * nose. The template for Celtic is the first-half they produced under Rodgers against Atletico Madrid at home last season. Fast-paced, full of intent and flowing. To get that happening on a regular basis, Rodgers knows he needs to add quality to his ranks and, with the expanded competition and more section games meaning more revenue again, the board should be able to go a bit further in the market.

I’m not stupid. I realise there is a limit to what Celtic can do. But they can take a risk or two with the money in the bank.

Rodgers has earned that surely with his work. Getting things done quickly, especially for the top targets, is no easy task and I understand that you need to be patient in some deals. But I maintain that Celtic didn’t do enough last summer and went too late in that regard.

Players were still bedding into the club when they played their first-group game in Rotterdam and that was simply not good enough. It’s hard enough to compete without tying your own hands behind your back. Given there had been a change of manager during the summer from Postecoglou to Rodgers, you can cut them some slack for not having all ducks immediately in a row back then, but that’s not an excuse this time.

Celtic should always be ready when it comes to recruitment and targets and they, where they can, now have to strike sharply and with conviction if the right opportunities arise. If they make those right transfer moves, that cherished European impact could be realistic and, domestically, they can leave Rangers trailing way behind.

Celtic joined their city foes on the overall trophy mark when beating them in the Scottish Cup Final last season and, having heard all the noise from Ibrox about getting title 55 during Steven Gerrard’s reign, Rodgers can lead his club to title No.55 in the season ahead. He has the opportunity to take Celtic beyond their great rivals in the overall silverware count. And also sail them far away into the distance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 11:47 PM