1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I appreciate that this isn't HP&R so I'll be brief:

Mate, don't make fun of him for that. If you are not scared by what is happening both in our societies and in the world right now, then you are a much braver man than I am.

kenniemk2 likes this.
  2. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Think you are reading a bit too much into that.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 11:16 AM
    Westlondonscot and HoopyT like this.
  3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I hope you are right mate but I have absolutely no faith or trust in this board. I could elaborate but I've posted so much about our board, wage structure, transfer strategy, Europe being a bonus, I'm actually boring myself haha..

I've actually stayed away from this thread and other transfer threads because it just annoys me. As a I said I hope you are right but for me it's more hope than anticipation we actually spend money on quality players..

NakamuraTastic and Random Review like this.
  4. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Central America I think. But aye no quite South America I suppose....... so you are correct

5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Central America isn't a continent.

6. themouth1888

I keep thinking back to Big Anges interview a few months back when he said just getting to the champions league is pointless if you're never going to try improve when you get there.

Now given Anges ONLY experience with the CL is with us he could only be talking about Celtic. This is one of the many reasons I worry when I see nothing happening. Board appear to he happy just being there and any points are a bonus which is a tin pot attitude to have.

Us apparent panty wetters point to history of us * around or the Ange interview or that Lee Congerton boy saying Lawell doesn't want to spend money. When we say * it often has information behind it. We then get told to calm doon but these people who tell us to calm doon have absolutely nothing to base this on other than hope.

I want to be so so wrong you've no idea how badly but based on facts and previous years it doesn't look good.

7. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think once we know if we’re gonnae qualify for the CL things will gather pace.

8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Pontus Dahbo linked by the same media outlet that broke the Haksabanovic move to Malmo.

18 year old attacking midfielder playing for Hacken in Sweden.

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    We're getting shafted again, that's all there is to it.

Club wheeling out Kennedy, knowing fine rightly he would be quizzed on targets, to give it the "calm doon" patter, whilst simultaneously telling us to "wait a few more weeks" is par for the course for a Lawell led operation with zero plan and the negotiating parlance of Ebenezer * Scrooge.

The eternally optimistic ones on here who constantly defend these charlatans will whip out the ol' "we're shopping in a different bracket to Sevco", fail to recognise that we actually don't.

It's plain as day that Lawell is playing the waiting game again, waiting to top off the tens of millions we already have before spending. I'm confidently assuming the club are working harder to get players OUT the door than they are IN. Namely O'Reilly.

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I imagine the players the club are working hard to get out the door are the ones who aren't starting and picking up a wage. They don't have to work hard with O'Riley, there will be some negotiations sure but they don't have to talk him out the door.

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I genuinely do wonder what the club does between transfer windows in regards recruitment.

In fact, what does most of the board do on a week to week basis? I get they'll have other jobs and responsibilities outwith the club, but they still have a responsibility to the club regardless.
    The recruitment team was sacked, so be it, what was done to replace or to accommodate there not being a satisfactory recruitment team?
    Because it seems we done nothing to rectify that and have done nothing in regard progressing our own recruitment.

Folk keep saying "wait til after the euros"

Question for you all then, if we have to wait til after the euro, or whatever, then which of the remaining 16 teams keeper are we signing? Dubravka and Livakovic?
    Either or could literally have been done long before now. Deals with clubs could have been agreed and players presented offers waiting to be signed after the euros.
    Yet the rumours are, we are interested in about 14 different keepers, most not at the euros and most we haven't done more than express a mild interest in.

So my question really is, what have we been doing since February? We can scout, make offers to clubs and players outside of transfer windows. Are we seriously a club who doesn't operate out with transfer windows again?
    If so, then again, what does the board actually do? I understand what Rodgers and the coaches do, that's easy.
    But Nicholson, lawwell, any of the others, what have they done? Signed off on barrowfield and hired a fancy pants named lawyer who got Rodgers what would have been the default punishment for his outburst?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Signing players isn't an exact science and there are multiple factors for players/agents when it comes to moving here. We will be speaking to multiple agents and multiple players for one position but we will clearly have a list of who we would prefer for individual positions.

People who are taking Kennedy and any Celtic representative at their words when it comes to transfers need to calm down. The club let out nothing, a criticism in some aspects but when it comes to transfers, we should absolutely continue.

I'll bet anyone that the Goalkeeper we have signed will be someone we haven't been linked with yet. It will come out of the blue, initially. A Stephen McGowan article will come out saying we are in talks with someone completely different and then it will be essentially confirmed within a couple of days.

I get people have scars from last season and the recruitment was exceptionally poor. The two men responsible for that have been sacked and we are allowing the manager more control over who we bring in. Everyone who has a negative opinion on the boards inability to properly replace the recruitment team are absolutely justified. This should have been sorted months ago. In terms of actual players, we need to get good players in, regardless of how long it takes. I don't want to be rushing signings and signing * like * Liam Kelly and Connor Barron. Players we should be targeting will have multiple options on the table. It's up to us to be clever with the time we give them to decide and the contract in which we value them at.

HTG, Westlondonscot and HoopyT like this.
  13. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That's far too sensible and reasonable, needs some more swearing in it...ya *! :84:

14. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    No offence mate, but there it is again..."calm down".

Not a single Celtic supporter on the planet should be calm. Each and every one of us should be absolutely livid with the standard of our recruitment and financial mismanagement of our playing squad.

You mentioned that the two responsible for the * show last year have been canned, but the ACTUAL ones responsible are still well entrenched and insulated within the club.

I said at the time and it's relevant now... Patsies. Simple and plain.

People have somewhat lowered their expectations since last summer's "we're gonna spend for Europe" hysteria, and alot more folk on here are rightfully *, but alot more need to be.

Every Celtic transfer window is a shambles imo. Some are standard for a club our size, and are woefully over hyped and lauded as a success. Most, are a * show of procrastination, miserly negotiation tactics, and an iron clad reluctance to spend money.

How anyone can say "calm down" is shocking to me, no offence.

How many times have we seen this * movie? The last two weeks of the window will see hoover up a raft of substandard players who will get rinsed in Europe, and Desmond's board of straw men will wheel out the excuses, "we tried", "we couldn't get it over the line , * insert Sevco joke.

Then we will be right back here again in a years time with folk telling the panty wetters like myself to "calm down".

15. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Think of the duopoly good sire.... let's keep this league competitive....:fear:

JC Anton likes this.
  16. Lewis Kerr

Can see us "tracking" him without actually doing anything for a while. Then he'll move to another team and be out of sight in 2 years.

The Celtic Way

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Look what happened when we had that new rugby ceo in?

Jota, cct, jura, starfelt...

Can we rehire him? It's went to * since his few months stint ended.

mayo and NakamuraTastic like this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Firstly, I have never suggested that people should be calm when it comes to calling out our previous mismanagement of windows. I have been a consistent, vocal critic of the summer transfer window last year. I was essentially asking people to ignore any comments that come from Kennedy or anyone else within the club when they're asked about transfers. Specifically the timeline in which we hope to get players in. The "we hope to see some movement in the next few weeks" has been taken quite literally by some in here and it's best ignored.

With regards to the failed recruitment strategy and what level of fault should be directed at the board, we are hopefully seeing different times in that regards. Peter Lawwell won't be picking the players for Brendan Rodgers this time and we know that his son no longer occupies the position he did previously, where he was consistently trying to force players onto Rodgers. That's not going to happen this time. Rodgers won't allow it. He's just won the fans back over, he's in a dominant position when it comes to his standing within the club. He will decide who we sign and I'm confident that if that no longer remains the case, Rodgers will walk.

I've also never used the term 'panty wetters' and actively ridicule * in here for it. I'm far from a board supporter but I'm not completely blind and ignorant to the very real difficulties we have in running a large football club, with a demanding fan base, in a smaller league. Especially when money in the game has exploded and we've essentially been left behind. We need real change in multiple areas of our recruitment, from our wage structure, to the way in which we handle scouting and recruitment. I've said that many times in here and will continue to do so.

Have people lowered their expectations? I've really not seen anyone do that. I believe the club should be bringing in good players. I don't care if they cost £1.5m, like O'Riley or £9m like Eddy. I just want good players in the door. That takes time and people need to give the club that time. No one is denying that we can't hold on to players forever and the club needs to balance out holding on for the player they want and moving onto the next target. Our recruitment has been poor for a 2 seasons now, I don't think anyone will disagree but Ange came in and successfully signed good players. There is no reason why Rodgers can't do that now.

19. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Here is one simple truth/fact. We have known for quite a long time that we need a GK. The fact we don’t have one in the door at this minute is just plain * bonkers. We have also pretty much went the second half of the season with ONE LB at the club. Sending Bernabei out on loan proves the back ip isn’t trusted/rated so we need at worst a new back up. To be almost at pre season training still arsing about( sorry but I do not any longer accept this crap about it takes time) is pathetic. We all know that we ain’t signing proven experienced top of the pile players but we must have targets identified. So pay the * money and get them in the door now ffs!!!!!

20. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I was looking at the transfer rumours forum and it's ridiculous that there isn't even credible talk about us pursuing someone or trying to get them in. Every rumour is just our usual wishlist plus former players without any real statements to back them up. Inevitably someone in the know pipes up and rubbishes the link, then it resurfaces in 2 weeks because nothing else is happening. It suggests there really is nothing happening behind the scenes. No agents putting names about, no scouts showing up to games, no knocked back bids, nothing. Total inertia.