1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

A big part of the above is shrinking the squad size from mid 30’s to mid 20’s and supplementing with youth when required.

We may have a tight wage per player budget but we have at least 10 too many non contributing players. Even if they all average out at just £8-10k a week that’s £80-100k a week that could be better spent on 2 or 3 top first team players.

For me if we are to be successful that needs to be addressed and our wage budget should be looked at more as a pot to be distributed across the pool of players, rather than a limit on per player wage.

An extreme example, if we came across another Henrik who actually wanted to stick around we would not give them £40-50k a year to keep them and actively sell them instead. This despite them being irreplaceable and clearly head and shoulders better than anyone else we have.

Yes we cannot pay all our better players top money and we need to trade players but paying your best players more than others is not an alien concept in football, it’s what happens everywhere.

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

John Kennedy admits signing a new goalkeeper is a top priority for Celtic with talks also ongoing over the returns of Adam Idah and Paulo Bernardo.

The Hoops assistant manager confirmed that the champions are locked in negotiations as they seek to bring in a replacement for the recently retired Joe Hart. Celts return to pre-season training tomorrow without a first-choice keeper in the building and Kennedy is keen for the gloves to be filled as soon as possible.

He told Sky Sports: "I think the club are working hard on that. Some targets have been identified and we've been working on that in the background. It's a key position for us, we know it's a position we need to get in. We want to do that as soon as we can so hopefully in the coming weeks we can have some news on that.

There are obviously some challenges in terms of the negotiations that will take place. But ultimately, we know it's a key position for us. We want to get the key positions in as quickly as we can so we get to work with them and the manager and the board are working hard on that."

Brendan Rodgers is also keen to secure Idah and Bernardo on permanent deals after the pair impressed on loan last season. An agreement has yet to be struck with Norwich City and Benfica but Kennedy was relaxed over the situation.

He said: "I think there's a lot of conversations happening. It's a time when a lot of players have been on holiday and different things have been happening.

"A lot of conversations have been taking place. We come back for pre-season and hopefully in the coming weeks a few things will start to happen but there's a lot of plates spinning and a lot of work getting done. Hopefully we'll start to see that materialise over the coming weeks

3. ardis1967

we really need to start seeing some movement with players coming in over the next week or 2 otherwise I can see it tipping over to the toxic edge again. Recruitment team can have zero excuses now we should have had a lot of players identified already. Trying to be positive as don't want to start doubting the club already but we need to start getting a move on now.

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Looking forward to "hopefully in the coming weeks we can have some news on that." That fills me with confidence and all my fears are now eased...

Lewis Kerr and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. Sgt Neppers*

John Kennedy: I think the club are working hard on that...

He thinks the club are working hard on transfer matters. Haha, ffs! It's worse than we thought.

I'm calm, cause I've seen this movie unfurl before. No doubt we'll get folk in...but I'd hoped we'd be further down the road than thinking about getting folk in.

SK89 likes this.
  6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    We’ll announce Idah and Bernardo on deadline day along with a loan keeper

7. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    This doesn't fill Me with confidence whatsoever, We have had 5 months to identify a new GK with Joe Hart retiring yet We constantly * about and then bring players in who are not any better than We already have, seen this movie before umpteen times.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Aye me too almost like playing a fifa game

When negotiating is easier

:86:

9. Sgt Neppers*

I get playing.your cards close to your chest, but you can still deliver a message of positivity, drive and of the clubs ambition.

Just seems aimless and lost.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Let's be honest he was never gonna come out and say aye we've got Livakovic in the door the turks aren't chatting * and bernardo and Idah are far down the line...not gonna happen.

We've all been here before we know how the club operates in the public eye. We don't really give much away.

We will definitely be working on things. Hopefully it isn't numerous weeks before we hear anything substantial.

Been through this so many times there's nae point stressing over comments in interviews.

Random Review likes this.
  11. James Gold Member Gold Member

Altogether now

You're Scott Bain you probably think this song is about you you're Scott Bain

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Literally hate that parasite lawwell and the ginger puppet as CEO. "Coming weeks" * right off. Anyone condoning or trying to justify the comments are culpable aswell. £80m approx on bank. Guaranteed UCL football, goalie gave us 4 months * notice and we hope in a few weeks. Celtic are back and that's me in a * rage.

But let's make jokes about huns
    Gloat about sold out ST
    Peddle Celtic TV for pre season
    Release 3 new kits in 9 weeks and all new training gear.

:31::47::47:

Best thing is brendan to walk and expose the * no non disclosure agreement just call the * out!

13. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Give it a rest ffs, we had enough of yer pish last summer.

14. horseshoe

This is why I really don't get people still biting at the daftest wee rumour on social media or from the rags and going tonto over nothing every year, when we know they're 99% full of * and have next to no idea what we're working on. Or then take the wild leap in logic that because we're not hearing any news of signings from the club yet, that means everyone is just sitting with their feet up doing nothing and we're not even trying to sign anyone, it's mental.

Most of the time we don't hear about deals until they're near complete, and the times we do hear a good bit in advance it's usually leaked from the other teams end not us, nobody in an interview like this is going to stick their neck out and say anything definitive about signings, because if for any of a hundred reasons it doesn't happen they can end up looking like a tube, they will always keep it vague. I don't know where the expectation of being kept up to date on this kind of stuff comes from with some fans either, it's not like most teams do their business all out in the open and we're being obtuse not giving updates.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  15. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Rolling out John Kennedy saying all that gives me the fear!

We are an absolute * joke.

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No wonder hoopy it's enraging

17. Sgt Neppers*

Be better to say nothing, than have someone who isn't the best in front of a camera with an unclear message, with no pressure to say anything.

Especially when he and everyone involved wi Celtic knows, we need to improve in that area (transfers).

Anyway. Good to see players back. Fixtures are out. Another day closer to the Hoops playing again.

bhoy81 and Peej like this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    "key position" "want to get them in as quick as we can"
    "Maybe in a few weeks"

Aye Kennedy, over a month after the window opens that will be. That sounds like we are sure as * pressing on with that key position we knew for a fact was needing filled 4 months ago.
    Let alone the fact we knew Hart contract was up this summer anyway and knew he would retire pretty soon regardless. That's a position the club should have identified at least 3 key signings for and had the crux of the details sorted out long before now, so it would be a case of pulling the trigger and the guy walks in to training the first week back with everyone else.

Glad to see the clubs still in the same mindset of dragging the * out of all of this.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

bhoy81, Blochairnbhoy and Skelleto like this.
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

@Blochairnbhoy walking in the transfer thread at the start of every window

[​IMG]

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The keeper being on loan wouldn't fuss me, as long as their was an agreed price at the end. I want them within the next 2 weeks though.