1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott McKenna

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Jun 11, 2024.

Discuss Scott McKenna in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    But doing ok in the PL in England is which he did by all accounts and the championship which are both higher levels than we have domestically is a higher bar. Not sure any of Welsh or Scales could play at EPL or top championship level consistently.

We got CCV from the English championship, so I think some people are forgetting. He was rated as Scotlands best defender last night or Hanley but it was between those 2. I would take him as a 3rd option before scales etc.

2. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Would love to have:
    RCB: CCV, Nawrocki
    LCB: Starfelt (also could play RCB if needed), McKenna

Scales as 5th choice.

Big Shoes and honda like this.
  3. saltire78

I'm actually very surprised people are putting up so much resistance to a free transfer... Experience, homegrown, physical, seems to have a good attitude from all I've heard... I'd definitely be taking it, if I could, and looking at then getting another in at what would be half price overall - a £6M defender would be same as buying 2 £3M defenders...

Big Shoes likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Then when we don't sign a left back yet again scales can be second choice for that :56:

5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Don’t think he did much wrong this euros. Although that doesn’t say much as Hanley was our best defender.

if he’s a free, and wages under 25k (coming from a prem club I’d assume he’s already close to that if not over) then I’d take him

6. oh bhoy

we need somebody else to snap him up quickly

7. Foley1888

For me signing him comes down to how little I trust our recruitment team. We shelled out £7m on a centre back who had a history of being made of glass and is weak aerially and a guy who is too slow to play a high line and has great long distribution for a counter attacking team but weak at short passing for a possession dominant team.

Is there better out there than McKenna thay we could afford? definitely. Is it likely we get them probably not.

The Austrian guy gives me the fear a bit as well as he sounds like a quicker Nawrocki in that he isn’t good aerially or that strong at defending.

Sween likes this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Reminder he was basically playing LB a lot of the time he was on the pitch.

Think he was fine.

calmac23 likes this.
  9. calmac23

I honestly don’t see what people are complaining about. He was pretty solid defensively and decent on the ball.

I would be very happy if we signed McKenna on a free. In a dream situation, he’s competition for the LCB slot, but I honestly doubt we’ll sign anyone better. He is miles better than Scales.

honda likes this.
  10. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Thought he did ok last night.

11. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If McKenna was a Celtic player last season though then Scales frankly wouldn’t have had the season he just had. In fact, Scales would likely have been sold last summer.

Just because playing for Scotland isn’t a particularly high bar, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look at Scottish players. I’m sure we’d all take Hickey, Tierney, Robertson, McGinn and McTominay in a heartbeat, for example.

martin_d likes this.
  12. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Thought He played well last night, hopefully now We go and sign McKenna, would be criminal if The Board/Recruitment Team aren't considering going for Him especially as He is a Homegrown Player and on a free transfer.

martin_d, cidermaster and Ryanm1984 like this.
  13. gary88

Sorry but one ok performance doesn't justify signing this lump of wood. There's far better out there, we should be looking to improve this area not keep adding average players to that position

Tommy25 and cfcturbo like this.
  14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We could do a lot worse, he’d be an upgrade on Scales and has plenty experience plus the quota for CL it just makes sense.

Thought he was very solid for Scotland and can definitely do us a turn.

martin_d likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's starting.

The longer the rumour sits out there, the longer we don't do anything, the more fans turn around and accept it as at least something.

Slowly but surely, the downgrading continues on.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

16. Sween

Given our scouting record I'd rather McKenna over our usual 1-3m unknown name.

I think it would be a sensible signing. Forests player of the year when they won the Championship a couple of seasons back. Realistically I don't see us spending money to get someone with a better pedigree.

17. kenniemk2

Think he means hendry who actually was pretty decent yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don’t even see it as an argument if you’re comparing him with Scales and that’s coming from someone that thinks there is an element of whipping boy with Scales.

McKenna is a better defender, stronger and better in the air. He’s also quicker and more efficient with his distribution which is my personal gripe with Scales - he dallies.

Big Shoes likes this.
  19. Buster

And they would all improve 100% not playing in Steve Clark's negative system

McGrory1888 and singer61 like this.
  20. henriks tongue

Agree it's good taking Scottish players - but only they improve our first team.
    My point was that if someone gets in a weak Scotland team before you, especially at centre half then that doesn't say much for you.

There's an irony in your list that McGinn and Hickey would already be playing for us if it wasn't for for scrooge mclawell.
    Ferguson another excellent Scottish talent that we didn't go for when we could have - despite his family loyalties.