1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

2. Wizard of Oz

I can't take the McGregor criticism seriously because it's either from a Hun who obviously resent him or it's from a supporter of some no mark hoof ball club in Scotland that I don't think can actually comprehend the idea that he can't play an actual acceptable pass through the lines at this level when there is no midfield movement. All he can do is go back because it's just players backing into centre backs in front of him with nobody to even bounce the ball off anyway. Do they think this guy who can play loads of progressive passes on Champions League games against actual elite sides is too * to do it for Scotland suddenly? Clarke is a best of the rest tier Scottish Premiership manager and it shows dreadfully in the majority tournaments

FranceCelt likes this.
  3. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Best player in a scotland shirt all tournament.

4. jj81

Mental , he was very poor

5. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    None of the team played well so how bad was the rest of the squad if a sub standard cal still recovering from injury outplayed them all

6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    He was poor, but no poorer than the rest of them.

Undeserved Hun criticism.

He should hang up the international scene and concentrate on Celtic.

Mince.Charming and Morcombe like this.
  7. henriks tongue

Perhaps no worse than many others, but he was worringly poor, passive and cautious.
    Tackled noone and barely played a forward pass.
    Hoping doesn't dent confidence too much for UCL campaign

The_Bhoy, Fontaine and jj81 like this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Needs to retire from national duty.

He's been to two euros and is our joint to goalscorer at the last two euros..

Time for others to take their turn and time for him to start reducing the number of game he plays in a season.

9. jj81

Outplayed them all ? Gilmour done more in 2 games than calmac done in 3 for a start , McTominay was better as we're others.

10. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

The huns are overplaying it but they're not far wrong on this one.

Thought Cal was overly cautious and too keen to pass sideways or backwards - could be how he was instructed for all we know but it wasnt good.

11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

One point annoyed me. He passed to gilmour? Then went into a great space forward. If he passed back to mcgreggor he was wide open to bring the ball forward onto a great attacking area. We never we passed back. * tactics turn great players into *.

Dannybhoy81 and The_Bhoy like this.
  12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’s a mentality thing that obviously starts from the manager. The comparison may sound mad in terms of our qualities but shearer, lineker, fabregas etc. all said it about England the other night. If the manager instills caution in the players on playing forward then brilliant players become too scared to take the ball in tight areas and play attacking penetrative football. Think that’s what we’ve seen across our midfield this tournament.

Clarke has obviously set out to be solid defensively and not attack leaving space in behind. Gilmour has the quality and has shown it in England to make brilliant passes through the lines or forward; only passes it to his defence or side wards. Cal constantly passed sideways, backwards or if he did pass forwards made no attempt to push up the pitch as he would for us. Mcginn maybe slightly more attacking but again did nothing much in terms of taking the ball in and going at players or getting into shooting positions like he does constantly for villa.
    Mctominay for me was the only one but that could also be ‘tactically allowed’ in Clarke’s set up as he’s proven to be our only goal scoring option.

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Jesus Christ, is that for real? Genuinely thought both were in their mid twenties

14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Steve Clarke hasn't got any idea how to use Callum properly

If he had any sense he would let Cal do what he does for Celtic

Morcombe likes this.
  15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think that's probably true but he's essentially playing two players, who are exactly the same in a double pivot and it doesn't work and I think for Scotland and the future, you need to stick with Gilmour in there moving forward.

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Aye pretty much

But any decent manager would know how to get the best out of Callum

Steve Clarke is a hopeless clown

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don't mind Clarke, he's done well enough for Scotland.

We need a fresh approach in the dugout though and I would rather we found someone who wants to get the ball on the ground and play football. Got laughed at in my friends group last night but I suggested someone like John Kennedy, who is maybe looking to take that next step in his career and has worked under two really good managers in Ange/Brendan.

I know Moyes is getting a lot of love but I think it would be the same kinda football we are playing now.

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think Cal looks similar for Scotland to how he does on occasion for us in Europe.

He’s very effective domestically when playing for a side that’s miles ahead of the opposition, but looks weak as a DM at a high level. It would be great to see him turn in performances similar to those he does for us, but realistically he’s up against opposition many levels above what he’ll be facing week in, week out for us.

I would like us to sign someone with a view to replacing him in the next year or so personally. It might give him the rest he needs to kickstart himself, or he might reinvent himself like Brown did, but he’s too important a player to only look at phasing out when he’s utterly finished.

henriks tongue likes this.
  19. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

He’s doing what he did in the CL for us. Receiving the ball and immediately passing it backwards instead of turning into space.

There seems to be a fear there against any opposition who will press.

henriks tongue and King of Kings like this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    No wonder he was poor (like the rest of the players) playing such negative football. He is used to play nice attacking football. Im not having a dig at Scotland as i support hem when Sweden not in it, but the football Clark set up the team to play is by FAR the worst in the whole tournament. He tried to play like Australia in the WC, the only difference is that Australia scored goals.

I have never seen Che play before, but i ended up absolutely gobsmacked how he can play for a national team. What am i missing? Worst striker i have ever seen in my life.