1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's disgusting what happened to Lennon, but sadly far from unique, other than some of it happened in Scotland and was actually reported on.

Pogues and Random Review like this.
  2. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Boohoo. He faced alot of crap but holding vigils for him was embarrassing especially when he held the fans in contempt quite alot of the time. He made alot of money from us

3. Pogues

Don't doubt it mate but the point is me, you or anyone else is not in a position to lecture any of them what or what not to wear.

4. Pogues

Death threats is a bit more than a lot of crap. Why the * are you trying to downplay the massive bigotry problem we have in this country mate. You honestly hate Lennon that much?

5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Death threats where regular occurrences in the North for a lot of Catholics 70/80/90's. Possibly still happening.

Horrible it happened to Lennon but people trying to make a special case for Lennon doesn't make much sense to me. It's just higher profile and used as an excuse for other things.

6. Pogues

Nobody's making a special case for Lennon. Death threats are horrible against anyone, I just don't know anyone else that have been victims of it.
    Lennons only crime was to sign for Celtic as a Catholic from the north and a Norther.n Ireland internationalist. He could have ran away from it all and * off back to England. But he didn't. He faced the bigots up in the glare of the media and made it clear he wasn't going to relent. In fact he went further and made it clear he hated the *.
    That and the successes he had both as a player and manager should mean he gets a bit of respect from celtic fans in my opinion.
    I'm certainly not going to be one that lectures lennon, or anyone else that's suffered similar, on what or not what to wear.

Anyway mate, this was all done 3 year ago on this thread. We're no going to agree.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No, I think you are. The Covid year was 2020/21 if we're talking about football.

Aye Liverpool won the league with no fans in the stadium but they were well ahead in the league by the time Covid appeared. We also won the league that season.

8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't have any ill repute towards Lennon anymore, it was an abysmal season and he should have left 3 months before he was gone, I still maintain that season was more than salvagable if we got rid of him before the new year's game against the huns, but we've more than bounced back since that season.

Hope he does well in Romania, but I also hope he's nowhere near the Celtic job in the forseeable.

McChiellini.. and NomDePlum like this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree with pretty much all this, just pointing out that Lennon isn't alone.

Poppy thing was very odd but I don't really care about that in all honesty.

Pogues likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

His first stint was nowhere near as impressive as people like to think. Stinking record in cup competitions. Bottled a league title against an average huns team and for the majority of his league title wins, his biggest rival was Aberdeen.

Great CL campaign where we beat Barca, but that was a complete one-off. Humped by Sion, Braga and Utrecht. Poor showing in the EL in a group with Rennes and Udinese. And then his final CL campaign we barely put up a fight.

He came out of it with 5 trophies in 4 seasons. Ronny Deila got 3 trophies in 2 seasons, for comparison.

We all know the personal stuff he had to put up with and it was disgusting. But as a manager, he has always been absolutely bang average at best and that sort of shows in his jobs since leaving us first time. Been all over the place and can't get another gig in England, where he wants to be.

I have sympathy for him for the off the field stuff he's been through. But no sympathy at all for his managerial career. His arrogance and delusion not only cost us the league that season, but I think he's generally just a bit delusional about his talents as a manager. There's a reason the best he can get is a team from Romania who most people have never heard of.

Peej likes this.
  11. Pogues

His first stint he took over a shambles left by Mowbray, did he not. Lost the league to a rangers team who had won the two previous leagues, so average is only your opinion.
    Turned it about and won the league in 2012, before they died.

Back then did you think Lennon was *.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I was glad he left. The football in his last couple of seasons was dire and I'm sure in his second last season we won the league with the lowest points total achieved by the winning team in * knows how long. A quick check shows we lost 7 and drew 7, and the rest of the top 6 was Motherwell, St Johnstone, Inverness, Ross County and Dundee United. In that order. That record would get a manager sacked.

He's not *. But he's quite clearly a very limited manager who has had a middling to poor managerial career since leaving us 10 years ago.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

You mean the same as when Lennon picked and chose who could actually be a Celtic fan?

Ye know, that time when he said his "heart sank" when a banner of Bobby Sands was unveiled, in the same section where banners of personal support for Lennon over the years had also been unfurled...

Ye know, that time when he said those who had unveiled the banners backing him, were "not real celtic supporters" because of the Sands banner?

This * completely forgets his own actions whilst acting the martyr and.....to use one of his popular phrases.....sitting pontificating to the rest of the world.

He can * off and stay bouncing from job to job for all I care, he ruined his own reputation to a degree.

He's still a Celtic legend for his past exploits. He needs to * up now and move on with his life.

murphy88 and Peej like this.
  14. Onefootwonder

When Rodgers left us we were 8 points clear and our performances had improved. There was nothing to turn around and we just had to keep the momentum.

When Lennon was offered the job immediately after the cup final win there was a lot of fans far from convinced he was the man for the job.

I'm thankful what Lennon has done with us, but there is noway he should ever be in the running to be our manager again.

Peej and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  15. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    * sake can't win on this forum.

Getting slated for being too critical and too positive of Lennon for the exact same comment :56:

Pogues likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Same..

Don't want him back but good to see him lately in better spirits..

Thought he was an * at certain points last few year but good luck to him. I find it hard to have any ill feeling towards him, particularly after covid season..

Genuinely don't care anymore..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
  17. Pogues

Highly unlikely he'll ever be back in the running to be our manager I would think.

18. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Did him and Thommo ever make up? I just read some comments there that were made at the time and it doesn’t paint Lennon in a good light.

19. kenniemk2

Still ballsy because he had a cushy number as a pundit and be a lot easier than going to foreign country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. kenniemk2

The season were they broke records for not having a man sent off or penalty against

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk