1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Estadio Nacional, Lisbon

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Feb 4, 2024.

Discuss Estadio Nacional, Lisbon in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Saw this. Think it might be Portugal for this years summer holiday.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah I've been wanting to go to Lisbon for a while so might take a weekend break to go there this year.

NomDePlum likes this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Been to Lisbon twice before and to my shame didn't go to the stadium. So have to put that right.

It's worth going regardless I'd say, but definitely this year looks like a good choice.

King of Kings likes this.
  5. leeso-ardoyne

Same! If not the summer, definitely at some point this year. Might go to the Algarve for the Huns match and take a drive up. It's always been on my bucket list to go there. This has now gave me a push to go!

NomDePlum likes this.
  6. leeso-ardoyne

For anyone who has been. How long are you allowed to winder about the place? And can ya get in every day?

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Buster likes this.
  8. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Went to Lisbon on a stag do in 2010. Cracking city with loads of bars and restaurants.

Boys I was with were mainly all St mirren fans and was during world cup so while they were watching a game I jumped a taxi myself to the stadium on the Saturday afternoon.

Place was empty when I got there apart from couple of maintenence guys. Asked if I could go in for a look, had the hoops on so he just smiled and let me through, probably use to it.

Walked through the tunnel and up the stairs onto the pitch, aside from a couple of other maintenance men I had whole place to myself. Got 1 of the workers to take pics of me on the pitch and at the goal where the goals were scored. Only bit you couldnt access was the podium were big Billy stood, had glass all around it.

Must have spent about an hour there before heading across the road to the astro pitches and watching extra time and penalties of an u18s cup final. Always wonder if any of the boys playing are now well known pros.

Lost all my photos and videos from it, which still annoys me but it was a cracking experience and would definitely recommend it to anyone fancying it.

9. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    I've been a couple of times, you aren't allowed in officially, but nobody chucks you out if you sneak in. Most days there will be a few Celtic fans mooching around and this seems to be accepted from the groundstaff without complaint. Just chuck them €10 and you'll have the run of the place.

What I love about the stadium is the authenticity of it - its exactly as it was when we won there, even down to the refreshment stands and toilet blocks. The only thing that's different is that there was a temporary stand erected on the open side of the pitch for the game itself, otherwise, as you were.

For the especially committed, if you want the whole experience, stay here whilst you're there - this is where the Celtic players stayed when we won. Pricey, but well worth it.

https://www.palacioestorilhotel.com...MI29DC9tOThAMVLZpoCR1PJQP3EAAYAiAAEgJpWfD_BwE

seamus1967 and Buster like this.
  10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Ive never been but my Grandad went and had a Celtic top signed by Stevie Chalmers in the centre circle and passed it onto me. I’ll keep that one safe forever

11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Went a few times when I lived in the Algarve. Honestly the hairs on my back stood up!

Just being there looking around was unbelievable and it must have been amazing for everyone who managed to see the game!

Just thinking about it now gives me goosebumps!

Ryanm1984 and NomDePlum like this.
  12. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We went in 2016. We couldn't find a way in and a gate was locked so my son climbed over a fence with spikes on the top and got a big hole in his shoe. He ran on the pitch and then back over the fence. We walked further round and found the way in and felt like eejits. The guy was very friendly and before we opened our mouths he asked if we were Celtic fans (the ginger hair and pasty skin must have given it away). We got in and took photos on the pitch etc.
    By chance we were there when Portugal won the Euros and watched the final on a big screen in Lisbon. It was a good holiday.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    We are going to Lisbon at the end of May, unfortunately not to coincide with the anniversary but a few days later, really looking forward to this tbh.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Legitimate entrances are boring mate :giggle2:

Mickmac likes this.
  16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    PXL_20240613_135135802_3_optimized_1000.jpg

Made the trip today with the family. Got the full tour, on the track, up where King Billy lifted the cup, dressing room and including coming out the tunnel, although not allowed on the grass.

Amazing, beautiful and interesting place, for those thinking about going the work planned on the stadium is renovation, not a complete rebuild. So you might have a wee bit more time than you thought.

17. DonnyCelt

Literally planning a surprise trip here for my dad. Can't wait.

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Brilliant day. I followed the details in the blog above. Still absolutely spot on. Also an Uber from central Lisbon looked pretty reasonable if you want to skip public transport.

And if you are looking for somewhere after to eat I can absolutely recommend Estrela de Serra in nearby Cruz Quebrada. Best food we've had in Portugal and really reasonable. Just take cash as they only take Portuguese credit cards.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  19. DonnyCelt

Thanks for the info mate

NomDePlum likes this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Class mate.

NomDePlum likes this.