1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

McKenna is probably peak age, 27 for a CB..

Armstrong apparently wants to return to Scotland, he apparently knocked back a new deal with Southampton and PL football.

Crilly and Ryanm1984 like this.
  2. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Number of goals we lost at back post bcoz he was caught under the flight of the ball was ridiculous.

Constantly sliding about on his *. Used to always think of the Maldini qoute "if I have to make a sliding tackle it's bcoz iv made a mistake".

Actually really suprised he's still being played as a centre half tbh

3. Crilly Hakuhna matata

If he wants a move back to Scotland I reckon it’s a no brainer on a free even if he’s not a guaranteed starter having him as an option would be great. He’s been very good for Southampton, the type of midfielder I like to see in the middle for us also and would still have a couple decent years left. Obviously want us bringing a proper replacement for O’Riley but Armstrong on a free would be great even just for the experience in big games etc

neilly1987, greengrocer and JC Anton like this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Copenhagen are a better side than we are so he clearly is close to our level. What exactly is "our level" when we have Scales starting and guys like Yang on the bench?

He's not a carthorse either this is always thrown about and I've said it a million times, he's actually got decent pace. Reeks of people not having watched him and basing their opinion off him playing for Aberdeen and looking a bit like an Ayrshire farmer.

As squad additions Armstrong and McKenna would be excellent and are both home grown.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, my hppe he wants a couple of years with us, CL, derby's etc.. and then probably opens a law practice in Scotland..

He is the type who could easily turn up in Monaco or Florence tho.. :56:

Got a couple of Southampton mates and the chat in Jan, when offered new contract, that returning to Scotland was his preferred destination.. all rumour tho..

NomDePlum, neilly1987 and Crilly like this.
  6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    By all accounts he didn't impress at Copenhagen and the fans didn't rate him.

As for Armstrong I would have thought he would have wanted to try abroad first

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    BhoyFitz likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I've seen this said but can't substantiate it as I don't watch Copenhagen. Don't know if many of the people on here saying this do, either.

Loan spells don't work out some times. McKenna has more than enough to offer us a great squad option for domestic football. Many games last season we could have done with someone with his physicality.

Him along with another CB to partner CCV and our options immediately improve.

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ndidi and Inaecho on freebies we should be all over them imo

BhoyFitz, neilly1987 and Crilly like this.
  9. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    No idea how they rate scoring players on flashscore but when checking player ratings McKenna was generally the lowest rated in defense for most of the games!.
    Tbh I never believed he was celtic class at any point in his career and still of that opinion..slightly above average spl defender..

10. Crilly Hakuhna matata

We seen the kind of impact having an experienced player like mooy had on the team, I actually rate Armstrong more than mooy also especially the version we got. Different players ofcourse but really liked stuart here and watched a lot of him for southampton too. Also would have a relationship already with the likes of Calmac, forrest and Rodgers

JC Anton likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Armstrong relied on his pace and mobility but his passing was *. The older he gets the less he can rely on his pace and mobility. Mooy never had any of that but was good on the ball so it didn't matter. I'm not sure what an older Armstrong brings apart from experience

12. Crilly Hakuhna matata

He’d be our 2nd best cb if he came in now imo tbh. I thought he looked good when he was with forrest…. Playing against teams of much higher than spl standard but that isn’t always a marker to go off ie Duffy and Phillips. I would like to get him in though think he’d fit in the team quite well. Regardless of if it’s him or not though LCB is a position we need sorted this summer. As said above even it’s to be a squad option and bring in a starter inthink we should still go for him

Champions0607 likes this.
  13. Crilly Hakuhna matata

His passing definitely wasnt *, he wasn’t as good at passing as mooy but it wasn’t * he also brings goals and assists. But even this season just gone he didn’t look to have lost any mobility and pace really if anything maybe a yard of pace but you get away with that more as a central midfielder. He would definitely make the midfield a bit more dynamic and maybe direct as he’s always looking to run forward on the ball and play one-twos and run in behind off the ball. Even as an option off the bench would be great in most games when looking for a goal.

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Would like to think we'll hear something about a goalie soon. We've only had 4 months to plan for it.

BhoyFitz, neilly1987 and Crilly like this.
  15. easy_tiger Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    whichever 11 are on the pitch
    I have seen him a few since he moved over to Copenhagen, on TV and live, and took interest in him as there are the links to us, he was pretty meh.

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Makes you wonder if there was something in the Sparta Prague one. I wrote it off as bullshit cos it was Football Scotland

17. Champions0607

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I’d have both Armstrong & McKenna in a heartbeat. Immediately improve the squad with no fees required. Home grown. Absolute no brainer.

McKenna is far superior to Scales/Nawrocki & Lagerbielke and as it stands just now would go straight into our starting 11.

Armstrong would be a great squad player and better than Iwata, and I’d probably rather him than the Hatate we had this year.

Ryanm1984 and Crilly like this.
  18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I'd be looking at the Russian Premier League right now.

Teams are strapped for cash since the Uefa ban (ridiculous btw) and there's some real talent to be had.

19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    As squad additions yes.

I'd much rather see McKenna starting to Scales, and much rather see Armstrong come off the bench than Yang.

But the question is would they be squad additions? Can't see either of them accepting a low wage, or indeed a bit part. Both would be looking a top wage, and a starting place. Then it would be a no from me.

McKenna I've actually always rated high enough, but there's better out there. Signings like McKenna, Eddy, KT, Armstrong etc show what shocking state our scouting and recruitment is in.

And my feelings about Rodgers' ability in the transfer market are well known. We need a DoF, and a proper scouting department.

If the names that have popped up the past two weeks suggest anything, it's that we're going down the "do we know him, aye? Sign him up" route again.
    Which is utterly scandalous in 2024.

BhoyFitz and JML67 like this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly this. Hoping its just the usual lazy journalism and our name being linked as these players are obviously moving on from their current clubs but they moved on from us to earn more and play in a better league so begs the question what their motivation would be to come back here. Experience is good but we also need hungry players who've everything to prove, not those who've been there and done it all - particularly if they become top earners.

Edit: albeit I'd love to see KT in the hoops again :fear: