1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stew37

Still a favourite of mine. Should have left earlier that season, but is what it is. Have met him a few times and a nice lad tbh.

Random Review likes this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Yet near enough every team that always wins the league most years never that year. It was an anomaly. He mentally never managed. I don't blame his coaching, it was a * situation all around. Fans reappear and football results return to normal. I don't see it as excusing it at all. I see it as understanding the situation now the waters settled and you can look at the whole picture. Nobody was winning us that league that season. Not even pep, who coincidently lost the league aswel.

NomDePlum likes this.
  3. murphy88

The biggest scandal of all during the Covid season was him walking out at Fir Park sporting the poppy.

4. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Is he growing out the way.

5. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    kind of obvious mate. Primadonnas wanting to leave the club that refused to play wont ein you the league. But it was his responsibility along with the board to go when that dressing room was lost. A very successful manager for us overall though.

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  6. Pogues

For a man who's faced bigotry on the scale he has I'd say its his choice mate.

Random Review and FranceCelt like this.
  7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Absolutely should be nowhere near us in any capacity in the future.

That being said, he's a legend who has dedicated nearly 20 years of his professional career to us and that deserves absolute respect. I get that wounds needed to be healed between both parties, some fans and Lenny. Not really interested in going through the script with what happened but I actually do agree that there were other factors. Unfortunately, the factors that affected us on the pitch was his mismanagement, his poor recruitment and his tactics. I preferred to put my blame on the people above him who let him go into full meltdown mode. He should have been taken out of the firing line for his own good.

I don't really care, anymore. I love him, I want to see him succeed wherever he goes and there is no one in world football who deserves that chance more. Hope he kills it over in Romania.

8. murphy88

For a man who’s faced it you’d think he’d know better. That’s my opinion on it anyway.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spot on.

The excuse making by him and for him by others is a * brass neck. He had an absolute disaster of a season and his refusal to leave ultimately cost us. If he left when he should have done around Halloween time, we may have salvaged the season. But his arrogance and stubbornness * us.

Like you said, covid affected everyone. Lennon always seems to talk like it only affected us. Just a pathetic excuse.

Should never be working for us again.

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It's a disgrace pep lost the league aswel.

Was other teams having games postponed by goverment officials due to a couple players being in a pub when pubs where open?

Where other teams having entire sqauds quarantined when 1 person was positive?

I mean other teams had these situations, yet got clapped and congratulated so I would say we was treated differently.

You'll find that season wouldn't be salvaged by the world's best manager.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Pep won the league. We're talking about the 2020/21 season where essentially the whole season was behind closed doors. We were a disgrace. Man City won a league and cup double and got to the CL final.

So you're now blaming the government for us losing the league? The excuse making for that season is off the charts. The argument about other top teams not winning because of Covid is nonsense.

City won their league. Bayern won their league.

Serie A, Ligue 1 and La Liga are all quite easily explainable given Juve were on the decline for years and had just won the previous league by a single point. PSG have a record of not winning the league when they should. And Atletico have been largely very good for over a decade and won it before.

Peej likes this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Liverpool won the league covid year. You a bit confused with your dates?

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Liverpool was 19/20

City have just won 4 on the bounce.
    Starting with 20/21

Even if we say it was Liverpool, for the sake of arguing. That's hardly a shock or proof of anything. It's Liverpool for * sake. They've been top 3 five of the last six year.
    They've won the UCL recently as well. Hardly like they haven't literally been cities biggest competition of recent years.

COVID was an unusual year. But only Lennon is using it as an excuse.

We would be a little easier on him, if he just * held his hands up and took some responsibility.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Didn't count anyway. No fans, no trophy.

NomDePlum likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

The man's an *, but still a Celtic legend.

Move on.

16. Bonobhoy

So......

He still a *? He still to blame for everything in 2020? He still getting called popcorn teeth by our own so called beloved fans?

We can accept Rodgers back at the club no problem.....and some now wanting Edouard back even though he was also part to blame for the 10 for downing tools along with a lot of other players that season...no more than that gimp that decided to fly to spain for a piece of * and get us thrown into a 3 game hold up which we couldnt chase up on....letting sevco run free.

Near everyone during the 10 * it....The board,Lenny,Staff and players.....Blaming all on Lennon and the abuse he got was a * disgrace and still is.....same folk that also seem to now forget his first stint and nights beating Barca etc.

Ye Lennon * it and should have left..but he didnt.....Would you leave a job you were getting a high set wages for as easy as you think? He believed he could fix it....he was wrong.

The board should then have dealt with it..they didnt,they also got abuse.....ala the breaking down barriers that night trying to get to them.

Lenny went through * * playing and managing this team since 2001.....* just seem to forget that. Uplifting you family during the night to safe house,recieving death threats in mail,sent bullets,removing kid from school.

Yes again he did wrong by staying...He should have been removed by the board but he believed he could fix it as would a lot of managers would.....The abuse he has recieved since then is nothing more than hun like.

Looks like a pick and choose who we accept now within the so called celtic family nowadays.

17. murphy88

Half a team oot cause somebody tested positive :56:

* mental when you think back to all the utter nonsense that went on during Covid. International football was still getting played as well and players were then testing positive after going away. Just bullshit. Having no fans definitely helped the huns, it just shouldn’t have impacted us as much as it did.

18. Pogues

Great post mate

19. Pogues

Don't know about you but I've no faced anything like he had to go through. You can have your opinion but no sure your in a position to lecture Lenny, I'm certainly not.

Random Review likes this.
  20. murphy88

Plenty who have faced what he has, or worse at the hands of the Brits will have been equally disgusted by the sight of him sporting a poppy. He has previous though, when he said his “heart sank” when the GB had the Bobby Sands banner.

NomDePlum likes this.