1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pogues

We disagree on lots of the things you say there, but as I say, not going to open up debate on something that's been done to death.

Anyway, just back in from the game today, pished and delighted. Mon the hoops.

Peej likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If we compare 38-game seasons, their team that season got the second highest points total in the past 2 decades after Rodgers' invincible team. They got more points than both of Ange's teams, all of Lenny's, Ronny's and Strachan's. Apart from Rodgers' invincible season, you have to go all the way back to Martin O'Neil and Larsson to find a Scottish team that got more points than they did in the Covid season.

So Lenny wasn't making excuses in saying they had an exceptional season. He was stating a fact.

Pogues likes this.
  3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They went unbeaten because of how we were managed that season. It's no more complex than that.

We were exceptionally poorly managed.

4. Pogues

Mate, they went unbeaten against every other team in the league that season. Regardless of how you think we were managed, that's still pretty exceptional.

Random Review likes this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That isn't really true, though. We still only played them 4 times in the league. It doesn't explain their points total.

Pogues likes this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It was good to see Lenny and Broony as the players went up for their medals.

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You think they'd have been unbeaten if we'd actually competed against them? And I don't just mean by us. Lennon for all I love him, completely * that season and handed them pretty much an open net. That was the exceptional bit.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Mon give it a rest noo about the covid season

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He may just have taken another job but Neil Lennon has refused to rule out a return to Celtic in the future.

The Hoops legend is in Romania now after accepting an offer to be the new manager of Rapid Bucharest, charged with restoring them to the top of the pile after a disappointing season. It's his first return to football after leaving Cypriots Omonia Nicosia in 2022 and prior to that it was his most recent spell in charge of his beloved Celts.

The Northern Irishman admits it annoys him that people use that campaign as a blot on his record when he feels the struggles were more down to extenuating circumstances outwith his control.

Asked out potentially returning one day, Lenny told BBC Scotland: "Maybe, but you don't know if people would want you back, that's the thing. I'm ploughing my own furrow now. I had 14 years at Celtic, 10 titles out of 14. It wasn't bad. I lost three on the last day of the season as a player and a manager. The one I lost heavily was Covid.

"My annoyance was could people not really see that? That it wasn't all down to coaching, it wasn't all down to team tactics or selection. It was down to a million other things that were going on that caused it, it wasn't just football reasons.

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * bless ye Lenny bhoy

Pogues likes this.
  12. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Just accept you * it Lenny. You won't be back here as manager.times a great healer and you'll be forgiven by most eventually, but at least take some * blame instead of blaming every one/thing else!!!
    When he was a player he was bad for blaming other players and shouting at them on the pitch when he made mistakes.
    He was the same as a manager, throwing players under the bus. Just take some of the blame ffs!!

celtic20 and Peej like this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Love Lenny but he's literally no self-awareness or even worse professional-awareness of his obvious failings.

Bit mind-bongling but he's utterly blind to the most obvious of failings.

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    'It wasn't all down to coaching, it wasn't all down to team tactics team selection it was down to a million other things that were going on'.

Pathetic how * are determined to willfully ignore this stuff in favour of keeping the foot on this guys neck. * rat bags.

15. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I do believe him that it was no football/coaching reasons, but it was his responsibility (and board) to walk away. Let it go

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    'It wasn't all down to' those things. You fancy rewording that?

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mate you are banging a drum that no one else will even touch. Lennon had a great managerial spell first time round.

Even when Rodgers abandoned ship I'd say Lennon actually turned things round and we won because of Lennon.

Final season he was a car crash and pretty much all on him. What he faced every other person in football faced that year, to a greater or lesser extent. In all honesty I find it embarrassing he keeps on bringing it up.

Still love him but honestly if I met him I'd be rinsing him about his whinging given what he gave out in his day to others.

Others trying to excuse it just makes it more embarrassing.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    Peej likes this.
  18. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'd pay so many hundreds of pounds to watch you try and 'rinse' him mate. A Man like him, who has suffered and conquered so much * for our club, the guy would crush you bud. Sorry but he would.

Pogues and Skelleto like this.
  19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Think you should take a break from here mate if that's the * you are coming out with.

You do know rinsing means slagging/kidding on?

I'm well aware of what Lennon has experienced given I have family who grew up with him and experienced exactly the same. He actually came from the posh area if you talk to my cousins. He's far from the only person to have had to live through that and you should apologise for even suggesting that it's just him. Not OK.

Met him and others many a time when he played with us. We never got near crushing each other. Although Ginty's was quite busy on many an occasion.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  20. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Am sure me 'taking a break from here' would please 99% of the posters on the site mate, but I'll decide on my own terms whether or not to contribute. Unless it's taken out my hands obviously. Thanks for your heartfelt advice though.

Did any of your folk growing up with him..play for, captain and manage Celtic for two decades on and off? And deal with the extreme pressure that comes with it? Fair do's mate.

End of the day.......guy was clipped mid-interview with someone who obviously was pressing him for an answer to a specific question, and he is getting the usual * off clueless * on his case at the first opportunity.

He's done no bad for someone with 'no self awareness' tbf, admit that at least.