1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kenniemk2

They will rubber stamp the idah and Bernardo transfers before then save some corporation tax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Just announce it on window closing for suspense... :56:

JML67 and Random Review like this.
  3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fixed that for you :giggle1:

Random Review likes this.
  4. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I think the football has been awful for much of the season, regardless of the personnel injured or unavailable. The style of play has been turgid.

Saturday was as dire as it gets.

He does have a winner’s mentality and I’ll credit him for that. I certainly don’t think he’s useless as he’s proven otherwise and he got it over the line in the end, but let’s not pretend that we’ve been playing pretty football. You could count the number of brilliant performances on one hand this season. It’s been a slog.

Back him in the summer. I think if we can do that there’s the potential for a really good team here. If not I don’t think he has the same ability to get the most out of a player as Ange did.

elbhoydo and Lewis Kerr like this.
  5. Lewis Kerr

That's where I'm at too.

Without glossing over the injuries and poor recruitment too much, the football was dire for at least 70% of the season.

Rodgers got the job done in the end and he deserves credit for coming through in these last few months. I genuinely didn't see us winning the double in February, nowhere near it.

With that said, I'm expecting big improvements next year. Get the right players in, fine tune the squad and let's see where we're at then. Rodgers did just about enough for me this year, but I don't want another season like this one. I want consistent performances in Scotland and progression in Europe.

We do that and another double/treble will fall into place naturally.

6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't really agree with this, but I see where you're coming from.

Ange done great with improving the likes of Ralston, Taylor, Jota, CCV, Kyogo and Hatate, but Rodgers has done wonders in the past with guys like Dembele, Edouard, Ajer, Tierney, McGregor, Christie and O'Riley.

I'd probably put them on par with each other in terms of how they can improve players, both are fantastic at it with different types of players (O'Riley hit a ceiling with Ange and I didn't see him improving any further, and there's no chance Rodgers would get Taylor/Ralston playing as good as Ange got them playing)

7. murphy88

For as much as it was a hard watch at times, and would never say otherwise despite being a huge fan of Rodgers, we did still manage to score 95 goals this season. Considering that was without Jota, Abada basically all season, no Giakoumakis, no Mooy. That’s a lot of goal contributions removed from the team, so I think to still score 95 goals this season we have done pretty well.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If any Celtic fan watched the performance to win the league at Rugby Park and isn’t enthused by what next season can bring then you’re never going to be happy.

There’s clear signs with a full deck this season would have went a whole lot better. Add to that the recruitment improving and I, for one, can’t wait for next season.

Rodgers pulled a rabbit out the hat from Christmas onwards, most thought a double wasn’t achievable at all. It’s on this forum in black and white.

neilly1987 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Im surprised how it ended, I thought we actually played well the last dozen or so games after being * in the League for the whole season really. Never looked like we had it in us but Hatate on the park offering a wee bit different movement, Forrest, Idah, CCV back having a run, Johnston got better, Iwata done well everyone settled a wee bit and we did start playing actual Rodgers style football.

In Europe and the hun games also I had confidence in us on the ball and playing with control, even though the results were poor in Europe the performances were decent and in the hun games we played with good control and calmness in all them. Never resorted to panic and long balls and being pinnned in or anything in any of them, the Cup final was probably the worst of the 5 games against them yet we never looked like conceding and played the better calmer football just waiting to score I felt.

I didn't trust him about February even the January signings I thought we never made enough and that he must be leaving since we were playing that bad and he didn't seem interested.

Next season I have confidence in us doing really well though, wouldn't be surprised at another Treble as I think the players are used to his style now. A lot of our team had only played "Angeball" with us which was a totally different style to near enough anyone plays.

10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The Kilmarnock and Hearts game before it are what gives me hope the football we play can match what I expect from a Celtic team.

Still fearful of what happens over the off season in terms of recruitment/squad management, that's a huge test for Rodgers. Hopefully we are going to see what happens there soon enough.

Peej likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hindsight is great at times.
    I won't let it change what I've said throughout the season. I won't pretend the season was all Rosey. There was times the performances was shocking and a real concern! Plenty of reasoning for it, but still a concern.

However, Rodgers was right throughout it all. More so the second half and when he started biting back at the media.

We write our own story, we sure as * did.

One defeat we had in 2024. Against hearts and we can all admit that was refereed twice over, putting it politely.

Last 12 games of the season, we drew twice. One was the semi final to the sheep, which we won on penalties. The other was the 3-3 Hun game.

Yet throughout the season, the second half as well, the media painted us as the side in free fall at times. Made stories about us being the under dogs.

That wasn't the narrative at all.

All credit to Rodgers here. We found out in his first stint he could manage games superbly. Go down to 10 men against the Huns and still managed to go on and win the game.

This season, he's proven he can shut the house out and keep the squad focused and motivated.

Guys a top level coach. Not the one I wanted, but perhaps the one we needed this season.
    Happy to have him here again, excited to see what he does next season.

Board must back him though. No more hiding.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

13. gary88

Don't know if it was just me but I always took that as Brendan subtly telling the lad he doesn't want to go into why he isn't starting him

kenniemk2 and AdamRS like this.
  14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

15. Mr. Slippyfist

Nothing other than complete narcissism.

Players makes an approach to the man to discuss not playing, and yer man points to a gucci belt (worth hundreds of pounds probably, made in Indonesia for about £6).

Tim-Time 1888 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  16. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Get Brendan on the phone to Gucci, new shirt sponsor (and official belt supplier). :BR1:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
    Rydo1888* likes this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If Napoli can do Armani, why the * no.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

neilly1987, HoopyT and DonnyCelt like this.
  18. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    another ex pro on the podcast circuit embellishing nonsense moments and stories for the "banter". No doubt either embellished beyond recognition , key context omitted , or just made up. Started randomly speaking fluent Spanish in a meeting probably equates to him using a Spanish phrase or a foreign language expression that accentuates his point . Like an English chef saying "bon apetit" . I've seen loads of podcasts when players are telling stories about things that happened on the pitch then I find the highlight clip from the game and it's so exaggerated its untrue. The Jimmy Bullard/Duncan Ferguson story I have heard Bullard tell several versions where key details change . Absolutely tiresome but the lads lads lads lap it up in the comments as they're all top geezers .

kenniemk2, neilly1987 and Peej like this.
  19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Should be working the lazy *:BR1:

20. gary88

I think I read up on who the lad was and he ended up a bit of journeyman in the lower leagues so don't think his attitude was right and probably still isn't if he has to name drop in podcasts to keep himself relevant