1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    It's not quite as simple as that. It comes down to what a player is worth and he's not worth £6m after the season he has just had.

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Was matt worth £6m after last season? Bernardos stats are actually slightly better with less minutes.

I'm of the opinion he will be a star here. Everyone sees players differently. Whatever happens I'm sure we will sign somebody else decent aswel as imo I can see Rodgers punting hatatte and I'd happily usher him out myself with the * he's put up lately.

3. celtic warrior

What was Eddie like after his loan spell with us.

Different players, different attitudes, some many differences, but I'm sure he was far from being a regular in his loan?

Edit: he player a total of 1400 odd minutes getting 13 goals.

Was he someone worth spending around £9mill for?

Again I get it, different positions, different everything really, but Bernardo has the talent, and the market is changing year on year so I'd happy pay £6mill for him, I don't think the club will... I reckon they probably spread it out and do some clever accounting and bump the sale price via add ons and in theory we see him come in initially around £4.5mill.

Either way, just get the * signed

neilly1987 and Random Review like this.
  4. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think this is a problem in general when it comes to signing players. Matt O'Riley is absolutely miles ahead of Bernardo. It's not even a debate. I honestly don't care how good Bernardos stats have been compared to anyone else, what I seen on the pitch every week from him, excluding a purple patch around Christmas and New Year, he was not on the same level as any of our other midfielders. Iwata was playing games before him and Rodgers was moving McGregor further forward.

I think there's a great deal of revisionism about his time overall because he had a great game against Rangers in December and played quite well up to the winter break. He came back and essentially went back to what he was before, not really doing anything. Not impacting the game. Not playing badly, just not really showing anything. I think we need a couple of midfielders, and I'm not against signing Bernardo but there has to be an agreement to reduce the fee. Everyone talks about football moving on, the fee of £6m is nothing. We could play a midfield 3 of Iwata, Hatate and O'Riley and they all cost less than what you are willing to pay for Bernardo. £6m is a large fee for us, people can moan about it all they want but the fact remains that, if our budget is £25m(which would be the biggest budget we have ever had), we would be spending a quarter of our budget on a player who wasn't getting games the last few games of the season. That's not a smart investment. I'd actually have preferred to have loan him back in for another year, to see if we can get the best out of him, if there is more to come from him, and continue with the £6m fee. I'm not saying he will never be worth £6m. I just think that paying £6m for someone like Bernardo is a risk too far, given we can go out and sign far more established midfielders for around the same price.

Additionally, I don't like the argument of "we know what we are getting"... because most of us don't trust the recruitment team to sign a better replacement. That's an even bigger issue. You don't pay whatever fee for someone just because we have money in the bank and our last 4 windows have been poor. You sort that out, which we have done with Lawwall Jr and Dudgeon leaving, and you find players who are better. We have done it before, we can do it again.

Peej likes this.
  5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How much is the maintenance on heated driveways these days. :fear:

No, I don't really think that Lawwell is illegally siphoning off money. I'm just having a bit of fun.

blackfish likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think his positional awareness is excellent for a young player, you never really see him getting caught wrong side.. makes up for his lack of dynamic pace.

Random Review, Hammy89 and neilly1987 like this.
  7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think Bernardo's role is the same as O'Riley's mate. And I don't think it's the same role as Iwata's either. Wasn't Iwata brought in specifically to cover McGregor? O'Riley is undeniably a better player than Bernardo; but he's a star. Iwata certainly isn't better than him, though. Quite the opposite! Bernardo's already a better player than Iwata and by the time he's Iwata's age, he's going to be a much, much better player than him.

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I didn't compare them. I was replying to someone else who did compare them.

What I was pointing out was that McGregor was moved out of his more favoured position at the base of midfield for Iwata, instead of playing Bernardo. I think that shows where he was in the pecking order.

10. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Just needs to have a game of 5 a side with some Celtic fans in down town LA and bring them for burgers after and this should be done.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Rydo1888* and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has made it no secret he wants Paulo Bernardo back at Celtic.

As part of the loan agreement with Benfica, the Hoops had a figure of over £6million agreed to make the deal a permanent switch to Glasgow, but the Scottish champions are looking to negotiate that down with Record Sport revealing on Tuesday that they are confident of bringing down the initial costs by giving more on add-ons plus a sell-on fee

Now the Daily Mail reports that the package the Hoops are discussing with the Portuguese giants is in the region of £3.5million. That is nearly half of what the initial agreement was with the same report stating Rodgers' men propose to pay £3m up front, with add-ons adding a potential further £500k plus a percentage of any sale if he moves on again. They state Bernardo is open to making the move to Glasgow on a long-term deal

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Definitely takehim for that sort of price.

Twisty likes this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    He just does the basics right and that's what you want.

£3.5m is a really good deal for us. Could understand why people didn't want to pay £6m for him (even though I would've in today's market) but £3.5m is a deal we should be delighted with.

He's not O'Riley's replacement though. We have to get someone else in to do that.

14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    3.5m with a high sell-on percentage for anything he goes for over original price sounds like a deal that everyone can benefit from.

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

£3.5M is a * bargain for him, guessing the sell on will be 30% at least then?

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sold!

At that price, that's a no brainer.

He's a development player, that's a development fee. But the benefit we have over other years of wasting this sort of money, we know he's not *.
    He's not consistently good. But we know he can hit that and in time can grow to that.

That's a fair investment for our level.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Hammy89 likes this.
  17. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Warming to this at the 3.5m, especially when other young up and coming Portuguese players seeing him(under 21 capitano)move to us.
    Get it done Celtic and move on to next targets.

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Any indication how Benfica view the proposal?

19. kenniemk2

If we get him at 3.5 m it’s a great deal don’t care how much the sell on is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crilly and Twisty like this.
  20. kenniemk2

If we get him at 3.5 m it’s a great deal don’t care how much the sell on is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

£3.5m is great business. At the worst a very good squad player, but he’ll grow into far more than that.

£5m for Idah next hopefully.