1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Hyeon-gyu

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 25, 2023.

Discuss Oh Hyeon-gyu in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Of course. Because we need players to contribute when they're on the pitch. Oh just hasn't done it and he has featured consistently for about half a season.

Crilly likes this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't understand what point you're trying to make with the goals and minutes, when taking Oh's entire time at Celtic and then including Norwich minutes into Idah's tally. Feels like you're shoehorning information in to make a point.

Idah has completely out performed Oh, for us.

Moving continent is something that needs to be taken into consideration but even if he fully settles in Scotland, it's not going to magically increase his ability.

I think he should be sold, but a loan would be fine too as long as it means he isn't featuring for us.

3. celtic warrior

At celtic idah has done around 808 and got 11 goal involvements

Oh is on 1313 minutes and got 12 goals.

I don't disagree that Idah has outperformed him, but I would expect that... also to show how fickle fans are, this forum was depressive state when Idah was signed on loan

Goes on to smash it and now there is genuine debate on whether we should sign him for anything north of £6mill (we absolutely should btw, we can't afford to mess around with that)

But Oh isn't a million miles away of posting similar numbers but we talk as if he's utter dug mince.

I've been quite open on this forum that we should signing both Idah and Miovski and the loan out Oh to see if we can get something out of him financially.

Random Review likes this.
  4. BigWilly Free Palestine and Ukraine Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    Oh no he can go

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I would argue that he hasn't featured in the kind of way that would be conducive to his development. I think a loan period could maybe give him that. I don't know if he'll ever be good enough for Celtic; but I'd like to give him a fighting chance of getting there. That means consistent game time, measured in minutes not appearances, and then lets see how he goes.

If he's still not good enough after a year of that, then I'll admit you were right and that will be that. But you never know. I know the details are different, but I would never have guessed that Liam Scales would ever be good enough to play for us after a simple 1-year loan.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think that in addition to goals, Idah provides a physical presence with his strength and pace that Oh never will; but I do agree that I think Oh is not as awful as many people seem to think. I don't know if he'll ever be good enough for Celtic; but he's not that terrible IMHO.

celtic warrior likes this.
  7. Slaw

Oh has been here two full seasons and has scored 2 or 3 big goals for us. Idah has been here 4 months and basically won us the league and cup. I can think of 6 or 7 big goals he scored. That’s the difference.

Crilly and neilly1987 like this.
  8. Foley1888

The Oh vs Idah debate to me comes down to Oh has had a few key goals for us, a winner vs Hibs last year in a sticky game and the St Mirren one this season but he also had some big opportunities in games that cost us. Killie away in the league he failed to kick it into an empty net to put us 2 up which would have been crucial, the season was finished but the last league derby under Ange, through one on one tries a chip and hits the post when he has to score.

I don’t reckon Oh has the composure of Idah and I don’t even consider Idah that composed. The other is Idah was exposed to a higher level of football before being here than Oh and doesn’t have the cultural differences to overcome.

I actually think Idah is a £3-4m striker but * poor management in failing to have a buy option in the loan means if we want him we will likely need to over pay. I don’t see Idah ever being our main man. There will be performances like Killie away where he is brilliant and looks the real deal but there will be Hearts away, when he came on against Aberdeen in the Scottish semi final where he is totally useless and costs us.

Hopefully if he does sign we get more of the first performance.

Back on Oh we should sell as Rodgers clearly doesn’t rate him, so he is deadweight to the team now.

9. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I vaguely remember Oh stealing a goal or two off of the likes of CCV when it was already going in. Petty i know but the bottom line is he isn’t a Celtic quality striker and never will be. I’d go as far as saying he the worst striker i’ve seen in at the club in the last ten years.

10. murphy88

Amido Balde, Scepovic, Ciftci, Carlton Cole, Bayo, Klimala, Ajeti.

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't really think comparing Oh versus Idah is even a contest, obviously Idah by a mile. But it misses the point! Idah is good enough to be a Celtic striker here and now, it's just a question of whether we can come to a deal with Norwich.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Oh is good enough to be a Celtic striker in the here and now, at least I wouldn't claim that. What I'm saying is that he hasn't really had enough starts or enough minutes to have a fair chance of developing and that a year's loan would to somewhere he will get game time will give him that chance.

I would also agree that Idah has a higher ceiling; but then again, I think he has all the tools to become a fantastic striker for us. I don't think that will ever happen with Oh; but I do think he deserves a chance to go on loan and that he might develop into a decent striker with game time.

Double Dutch likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How can you realistically argue that when he made 26 appearances in a season, where most of them were for significant amounts of minutes, including CL games? He's had more chances than most youth prospects we've had. If he hasn't been able to develop in that time period then he's wasted his time this season.

bigmac7288 likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The reaction to Idah signing was more of a frustration with our overall transfer activity and results around that time, rather than Idah himself. You're right that fans are fickle but Idah's performances have won most people over. Can't say the same for Oh, despite his goal involvements. 5 goals in 26 appearances isn't good enough for a Celtic striker and that's what he's given us this season.

Like I said, not against loaning him out, but personally I think we're better off just letting him go permanently, and the rumour that's going around at the moment is that's what will be happening with him.

14. murphy88

This argument gets used a lot when it comes to our own youth players. The statement in itself is correct, but there’s obviously a reason why they aren’t getting minutes. They aren’t good enough, that will be the reason. Managers aren’t just not giving players a chance for the sake of it. We are all guilty as fans at times for saying x, y or z should be getting a game, but the chances are they aren’t showing enough in training to merit it.

15. celtic warrior

26 appearances equates to 725 minutes. Who's shoehorning now?

You reference 26 appearances as if he's been our main starter and still only registered 5 goals.

In terms of CL appearances he got 8 minutes against Feyenoord in our opening game, 4 minutes against Lazio, unused sub in draw with Atletico, 45 minutes in the 6-0 loss. Then another 20, 21 minutes in following two games.

Majority of players at any level in any league is going to struggle to make an impact with that little amount of game time.

He's played the equivalent of just over 8, 90 minutes.

He is likely to not be a Celtic player next season and I wish him all the best as I think hes got a decent career in him, but our fans really are making out hes the worst we've had at ST for a long time.

He's far from it. I reckon with the right loan he could genuinely turn a profit for us.

Would be nice to at least get Idah over the line before we make any decisions on Oh though

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
  16. henriks tongue

Forget about (misleading) stats, just look at the player and how he plays the game.

He clearly has some potential, is enthusiastic, strong and has had a few good moments for us, but in terms of going on to be a top footballer, I don't see it as he doesn't have the basic tools to succeed (like many others at our club tbf)
    Oh is incredibly limited in terms of pace, touch and ability to hold on to the ball, he lacks composure and football intelligence, most often picking wrong option.
    He's simply not good enough and will never be good enough for Celtic.

Idah is fundamentally a more gifted player with far more potential (but also some negative traits) regardless of any stats.

17. Maestro 08

I think there's a good player there. A loan where he can get regular football at a decent level and reassess after that.

JC Anton likes this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Oh is never going to be good enough here. Ever.

We can argue that we aren’t maximising the potential he may have and I think we can all agree we have a problem in doing that with young players in general. Which is why I’m all for a loan to someone away from Celtic, so that we can maximise his potential and get a good fee for him.

There is absolutely no comparison with Idah. It’s not even about the goals. Watch how Idah plays the game and watch Oh. Absolutely night and day. Idah is a far better player and far more clinical striker and anyone can see that.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If you compare Oh and Idah, look at the differences in performance at Killie..

Still, wouldn't mind Oh loaned out, he's still young.

20. kenniemk2

You realise McGregor was out injured Iwata got put in their and done the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin_d and honda like this.