1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Hyeon-gyu

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 25, 2023.

Discuss Oh Hyeon-gyu in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

A loan would only prolong it in my opinion. Realistically he is never going to be good enough to start here. If someone wants him, get him out the door.

honda, Big C and henriks tongue like this.
  2. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I meant even after getting a run that some wanted him to get a longer extended run.

3. Crilly Hakuhna matata

The recruitment has been amateurish. Hopefully Brendan is working hard and constantly at the board to upgrade us in that department. Tbh though personally I think if lagerbielke had a run of games he could be quite decent but he wasn’t ready to be thrown in straight away in big games and I think right now should be moved on as it would be best for both parties. We need to clear out a lot of deadwood while bringing in 6-7 quality signings

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  4. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    The board got excited when Ange brought in Kyogo, Maeda and Hatate and decided to go nuts in the Asian market. No doubt Ange had some input, but I think PL and Co felt there was easy money to be made by hoovering up cheapish gems and then moving them on at a profit. Not realising that the best players in that league had already been captured by us and other big teams.

Our recruitment needs to always bring players in that will fit into the team first, can be developed second and sold third. No point in bringing projects in that aren't going to play, develop and improve. And that's what has happened with many of our signings under this board.

Ryanm1984, AdamRS, KRS-1888 and 2 others like this.
  5. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah spot on, it’s grand bringing in players with big potential as long as we’re also bringing in players to be immediate upgrades. If we don’t do that then the players with potential are left on the fringes getting * all minutes like holm for example or Yang and that does * all to develop them. First team ready players first and upgrades at that. Hopefully see a big change in recruitment this summer

neilly1987 likes this.
  6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Id offer him to Norwich as part of the idah deal.maybe 3 mill and oh.. he's a south Korean international and Norwich have form with our disregarded centre forwards

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Well in fairness he gave up his spot in the world cup for that other lad

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For Son Heung-min actually, when it was revealed he could indeed play, but with a face mask. Had he not recovered from his surgery in time (busted cheekbone), Oh would have been in the roster. He ended up travelling with the squad anyway, I think? But the event does show his selflessness, indeed. Rodgers shouldn't discard Oh, if it ends up being impossible to get Idah.

greengrocer likes this.
  9. PaddyJamieson

I think he has talent and will forge a good career elsewhere, somewhere like Germany. Football is fickle and there have been small moments throughout his Celtic career that, had they gone differently, could have changed it.

His wee * at 1-0 in the 3-0 loss at the shitpit late last season - was an inch away from post and in.

Ange leaving - had he stayed on Oh likely would have got more of a chance.

Killie away - coming not long after being impressive away vs County, pretty sure he started this one and we were collectively absolutely rotten. Not sure Rodgers ever trusted properly after that

Idah coming in and hitting the ground running.

His career here is done now and that happens, but I don't think he's a bad player and will show that elsewhere imo.

Wllm, neilly1987 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Idah coming in, a guy going through his own troubles at Norwich at the time, only gave context to the situation.

Idah has shown himself to be a lot more rounded and has quality which in comparison has made Oh look a lot more raw and a few levels below the standard we need at Celtic.

You mention could of been moments, but truth be told he has had numerous opportunities and hasnt made the impact needed for a striker at Celtic.

If give him a loan at a club where he is going to be guaranteed minutes to see if it can bring him on but as it stands, he just isnt the quality required.

10/4 Kemosabe and Crilly like this.
  11. themouth1888

He's not a bad player but it takes a very specific type of player to play at Celtic with how 99% of teams set up against us. Even the huns are sitting in against us now.

Can be a cracking player but if you can't deal with that style of play then you will struggle.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s had a chance. He made 26 appearances this season. He played every league game from the Ibrox win until Idah came in. He played in 5/6 Champions League matches. That’s as good for his development as he would’ve gotten at any loan club.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mostly not starts, though, mate. We've seen before that coming on as a sub isn't the same.

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He's been poor when he's started

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's had plenty of minutes overall though. You need to be able to do it from the bench too.

eire4 and Mr. Slippyfist like this.
  16. Mr. Slippyfist

If you're not rampaging your way from the bench to the first team squad, you don't have it at this club.

Far too many players on the books simply not good enough. Oh is one of them.

Time for a massive cull at this club.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Do you? Why? Some players can (e.g. Bernardo, Idah, Griffiths, Hartson) and plenty of others need a consistent run of starts to play well (e.g. Hatate, Rogic, possibly AJ).

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Idah certainly has.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    IMHO in the time he has been at the club he has had a legitimate chance to show his qualities in terms of the playing time he has got overall and while he has had his moments and looks a decent player I have seen nothing to suggest he can be a legit go to option for us up front. Time if possible to sell this summer.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  20. celtic warrior

He's had a total of 1313 minutes at celtic scoring 12 goals.

Idah has had a total of 2377 minutes just this season alone and got 19 overall goal involvements for both Celtic and Norwich.

I personally would be expecting that Idah outperforms him as he had mainly, a good run of minutes this season in the championship before coming to us on loan.

And whilst there was other Korean players at the club for the most part, there is still something to be said about a young lad coming over here and settling into life.

Personally I feel like the fanbase as a whole is being overly harsh on Oh, I would be happy to take the leap and let go out on loan as a means to ge this regular game time and make him effectively our own Idah who goes off and smashes it somewhere and so in the end gets a better fee than perhaps we would have of we just sell now.

I think there is enough promise in Oh thag with the right loan and performance to go with it, we could get a good profit relatively speaking.

FranceCelt and PaddyJamieson like this.