1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. calmac23

I think he brings a lot of balance to our midfield, he's clearly got technical ability, has good athleticism and seems to have a good mentality. He's delivered in big games this season and I really wish he had got more minutes, as I think a midfield of Bernardo, McGregor and O'Riley could be exceptional.

I'd sign him, and use him next year alongside a creative presence (or Hatate, but personally think it may be best for us to move him on) and McGregor.

I think we'll really regret it if we don't sign him, he has a bright future ahead of him.

Crilly and neilly1987 like this.
  2. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Just pay the money, Celtic. He's been here and part of a double winning team and knows what it's all about now. Think he has very good natural instincts which can be taken for granted but missed when he's not around , I get that he is a sorta 6 or 7/10 across the board for most things and doesn't really have any standout attributes but he doesn't really have any weaknesses either and he's still young enough that he's bound to improve too.
    Maybe we could get better for the money but with our recruitment would you trust us to? Probably end up spending good money on the Barkas equivalent of a CM.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  3. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

I can see the logic of these arguments that 5/6m has to buy you a game changer for us but times change ffs and so should we. We're hardly gonna go out and buy a Hartson/Lennon/Sutton ready made seasoned pro who has been proven for years for 6m in this day and age.
    I think he will be well worth the money and we would regret not signing him.

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    If we get him for anything under £6m, you'd bite their hand off.

£6m is nothing nowadays.

5. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If we really want him, pay the money. I'm happy with our relationship with Benfica, in them trusting young players with us. I hope we don't * them off, in trying to get them down too much.

stew37 and neilly1987 like this.
  6. Mr Diggler

For a guy who was not a first pick and who was really bit part by the end of the season £6million is not justifiable to sign him permanently. I can see the reasoning in trying to negotiate a lesser price. I do think there is a player there though I can't see us going over £4million for him.

7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    We appear to have a good relationship with benfica which has to be protected at all costs. 6mill maybe a bit too high.. maybe 4 with a few extra percent added to the sell on

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

8. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

That’s fine but then we’re back to square one and, as someone said earlier in the thread, do you trust Celtic to get someone as good (or better) for 4m? I know I don’t.

Last edited: May 31, 2024
  9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Pay the * money Celtic, see if we squabble over £1-2M and lose out I’ll be raging. He’s worth it and his wages aren’t going to be big.

Last edited: May 31, 2024
  10. Roadrunner Gold Member Gold Member

He was a real game changer for us during that festive period.

He has so much potential and we were only just starting to see it at that time. He’s a very controlled footballer was great offensive and defensive ability. The fact we had no problem dropping him into the champs league games shows this.
    That being said, if we’re in a comfortable position with signing him then I see no problem
    Trying to knock some money off it.

I wonder who is next on the benefits to Celtic path… tengstadt?

neilly1987, _DannyBhoy_ and Crilly like this.
  11. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Happy for him to be brought in but he wasn't able to cement a starting place and £6m is a lot for a back up player. We also need to increase the quality if we want to improve on Europe. Bernardo may have potential but we need experience.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We bought eduard for £9m and he was essentially a backup to dembelle.

13. horseshoe

I don't see a loan player not being able to keep one of McGregor, O'Riley or Hatate out of the team as any great criticism, he's not really put a foot wrong when called upon and didn't look out of place in the european games he played, I think he's shown more than enough that he would be a good addition to the squad, especially with O'Riley almost certainly away this summer.

14. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Odsonne made a greater impact and had clear potential that made the fee less of a gamble. There is no one can say the same for Bernardo. Odsonne was a teenager and had development potential. Bernardo is 22 and should be at a level where he can start regularly. Hasn't shown any sign of that, bar a brief purple patch and a few flashes.

15. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I think sometimes loan players can get less game time as we will prioritise our own players before them, could unsettle some players if loan players were ahead of them im not sure but possibly. Also cm would be our strongest position in depth tbf. Reo, Calmac and O’Riley very hard to displace but I think bernardo done very well anytime he was in there. Even in games where Iwata started I personally think bernardo should’ve been ahead of him. He will deffo get more game time if he signs permanent. Could be a starter whether that’s alongside reo and cal or alongside cal and an O’Riley replacement

neilly1987 likes this.
  16. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I'd be happy to sign him, just feel at £6m it's a bit steep for what we have seen. He is 22 so it's not as if he is a youth player. Has done well in some games and not so much in others. I agree he is a better option than Iwata but would need massive improvement to cement a starting place and show value.

17. stew37

100% agree. I reckon he'll be going for double the price they're wanting for him in a year or two. Hope we don't * about with this too long.

18. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

No brainer for us to sign him.

He made a big difference over that festive period, done well for us in the CL and got a goal against the huns and two assists in his last two games against them for Idah after coming off the bench and making the difference (last one been a howler by Butland but Bernardo made that goal with his driving run)

19. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That could cause him to fall to the ground immediately.
    Need to be careful with this fragile, snowflakie *

Henry McNamara and seamus1967 like this.
  20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

As well as Bernardo played a lot of the CL games off the bench so he has the experience at that level for next season.

honda likes this.