1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Hyeon-gyu

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 25, 2023.

Discuss Oh Hyeon-gyu in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    If idah swapped the Aberdeen semi and sevco final performance id be fairly sure the vast majority of the support wouldn't be wanting to spend 5 mill on him. I'm happy to take idah as he has the raw attributes to kick on if he can find some consistency. Oh was given very little chance let's be fair whether he was good enough or not.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't think it's worth hanging on to him to put him out on loan, if we do that we'll likely still be paying some of his wages. Plus if we send him somewhere of a high enough standard to see what he can do there's no guarantee he'd even get game time there making it a waste.

At this stage I think it's best for both parties for us to sell, and we insert a decent sell on clause in case he turns out good.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Not surprised he hasn’t made it here haven't been impressed with him

Crilly likes this.
  4. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Was never good enough to be here. Mad that there were fans wanting him to get a run in the side.

Crilly likes this.
  5. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Not good enough, but of a mental signing for us tbh

6. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    We've had 3 back up strikers to Kyogo in the past 3 season.

Giakoumakis, Idah and Oh.

Hes miles below both never mind the level of Kyogo.

Has rarely shown anything other than being massively raw.

Started defeat at Kille in December and was honking and barely been seen since. That seems to have done it for Rodgers

Hammy89 and Crilly like this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Definitely a player that hopefully we can sell this summer IMHO. Seems like a nice lad but not good enough so best for his career and us he moves on this summer.

8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I like the big guy but looking like he's not up Rodgers' street. Loaning him out would be my first choice as I think he has the talent but obviously it's up to the manager so if he's away then all the best.

9. Moustache

I’m probably in the minority in that I still think he has some potential, and had hopes of it being a breakout season for him, but at this point it’s hard to see it ever happening for him here.

I get that we desperately need to offload guys, and he’s obviously completely out of the picture, but I still think we would be better off loaning him out than selling him. Even if it isn’t with a view of him coming back here, I can absolutely see him doing reasonably well elsewhere and helping us to eke out slightly more in a transfer fee than we’re likely to get at the moment.

If we were going for Miovski I would’ve tried to loan him to Aberdeen as part of that deal, but that isn’t looking likely.

10. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    If anybody offers money so. We can recoup our losses then move him on, I don’t think he is good enough for us but will hopefully find his place in some European team.
    A shame it didn’t happen here the managers obviously didn’t rate him.

11. TheHappyLoss

Guys never really got going with us. Not one I’d be bothered about losing.

cidermaster likes this.
  12. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I’m sure he is a nice young lad but he’s just not good enough.

No more project signings from South Korea please.

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, he's only 23 and we've wasted a year and a half of his development by not loaning him out. I actually think we've been a bit unfair oh him by not loaning him out. Give him a chance. I'd rather keep a 23-year-old Oh (but loaned out as he's not yet good enough for us) than a 27-year-old Iwata who never will be good enough IMO.

Whether Oh will ever be good enough to be a starter for us, I don't know; but the best way to find out is to loan him out somewhere he'll get games and see how he develops.

PaddyJamieson and greengrocer like this.
  14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I’d rather we loaned him out with no option. I think he has some potential to grow but I don’t think he will ever be anywhere near good enough to make it here. I’m sure there will be teams in the 2. Bundesliga or the Belgian League where he could go on loan, get some exposure and play games and make a right good go of it. That would mean we could then sell him and recoup some of the money we spent on him.

Selling him right now is risky, as I don’t think there will be anyone willing to pay the money we would need to recoup the fee. I do still think there is some talent there to get out of him, he just needs game time in the right environment. A league where he ain’t playing against low blocks every week might be the making of him. He has far more to his game than * Bayo did and I think he’s the main striker for Watford in the championship so we just need to have a plan to maximise his potential away from us, so we can make some money on him.

Look how well someone like MJ did away from here. He does exceptionally well.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  15. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Looked a knee * signing at the time after missing out on the actual Korean striker we wanted and has proved to have been a mistake

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Hammy89 and Crilly like this.
  16. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah a simple case of taking what is available even if what’s available is way below par

AdamRS and Hammy89 like this.
  17. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Yeah or case of being massively unprepared and just jumping at whatever landed in their lap. Similar to whole Lagerbielke situation.
    Absolutely millions wasted over last couple of years due to appointing someone with absolutely * all experience for the role due to his surname.

Hopefully this summer will be different but Iv said that before

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's had his run in the side to be fair. He played in every league match from the Ibrox win until Idah came in. 26 appearances this season and just 5 goals. Clearly isn't good enough, but good luck to him all the same.

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think what a lot of people forget is there is a limit to the number of professional players you can loan out, 7 currently I believe. Players like Oh don't fall into the under 21 AND have been at the club for 3 years from the age of 15 category (I don't think there's a limit on those loans yet) and we already had 7 pros out on loan so couldn't loan him out last season.

We need to start offloading players and using the limited loans we have for those that have a realistic chance of making it here. I don't think that's Oh unfortunately.

NomDePlum likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes pish. He's 23. He's never going to suddenly become a good footballer because he plays an extra 90 mins a week. Game time develops experience, it doesn't teach basics like how to kick a ball towards a goal.

AdamRS likes this.