1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Hyeon-gyu

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Notorious, Jan 25, 2023.

Discuss Oh Hyeon-gyu in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    If Idah was the guy Rodgers wanted then he wouldn't be playing 2nd fiddle to guy that clearly doesn't suit his system.

I think ur right regarding the Dembele type striker but Idah isn't it

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The weirdest thing about him not getting not even the best out of Kyogo, anything out of him at all really, first time here Griffiths was at his best - everyone always says the 40 goal year under Ronny but the next year under Rodgers got half the goals, but 15 or so more assists and he was the best all round he got here.

Then at Leicester, a player who thrives on a very similar style that Kyogo does - Vardy was excellent under him.

And both they teams, they got shaped around getting the best from the striker. He preferred the target up there, like Dembele, like Eddy… but when it was the nippy striker who was off the last man that had talent to get involved but not the target man up top. The team adapted to that, changed to play that way, and got the best out of them.

And he’s done that 3/4 games when desperate for Kyogo, and that was when he went more direct with early balls in the box. And it * worked. He’s reverted to more cautious again, but not as cautious as earlier in the season as we seen. More hybrid sort of cautious control and sometimes look for the early ball that he thrives on. And it’s exclusively at Parkhead. Never away.

And stats are never the best judge, but theres two glaring ones that back it up what I think I’m seeing on the pitch - Kyogo’s away goals, and chances created for him in away games. He scores more and gets more chances created, by a large margin, at Parkhead rather than away.

And we know that’s not because Kyogo can’t do it away from Celtic Park. It’s tactical.

BigWilly and Guchi Gucci like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Idah was a Rodgers signing and has been * crucial. And he’s trusted him majorly as well.

Kyogo’s a better player though, and BR will be frustrated that he can’t get him showing it. But he’ll trust Idah no bother, look at Motherwell 2nd half, brought him on half time and he scored 2 to win it for us. If he didn’t trust him, Kyogo doesn’t get subbed at half time

BigWilly, Guchi Gucci and Ryanm1984 like this.
  4. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    True and not dismissing the impact he's had and how important he's been. I actually think he may start today too.

I don't think Kyogo works as the main striker in Rodgers team, 16 goals from 45 appearances and 3000 minutes is a poor return for any Celtic striker and it's not as if it's due to Rodgers changing his game and asking him to play the way Rodgers normally wants his strikers to play, ie coming deep and being involved in build up play, he tried that at the start of the season and very quickly ditched it.

Therfore I think come the summer Rodgers will be looking to bring in a player better suited to his style of play, a Dembele or an Edouard type to be his 1st choice striker.

If Idah was that guy he'd already be 1st choice but he's not and it's because like you say Kyogo is a better player.

We need a striker at the very least, as good as Kyogo but one that better suits the system.

Big C likes this.
  5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

OH HYEON-GYU is set to lead a major Celtic summer clear-out.

Boss Brendan Rodgers is looking to reshape his squad for a Champions League tilt and the £2.5million South Korean barely featured in the second half of the Hoops’ Double-winning campaign

Striker Oh didn’t even make the Scottish Cup final squad and his chances are likely to be limited again next season.

He signed a five-year deal in January 2023 and initially featured regularly under Ange Postecoglou.

But having fallen out of favour under Rodgers, he is understood to be attracting interest from various European leagues.

Celtic hope to do a deal for Norwich City’s £5million striker Adam Idah this summer and have Kyogo Furuhashi and Daizen Maeda for the No9 role.

Parkhead chiefs are expected to consider offers for 23-year-old Oh and several other fringe men this summer.

Crilly likes this.
  6. kenniemk2

This one of those ones moved on because change of manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Punt, not really grabbed his chances, we need to move forward.

8. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He can go

9. celtic warrior

He's got talent for sure.

You don't get 7 goals in 500 odd minutes in Ange's final season by being * and not remotely good enough to play for Celtic.

He's young, likely still settling into the move to Glasgow for Korea which can impact any player when they move away from home. I would much rather see him out on loan to a team fighting for promotion in the English Championship to see what he can do with regular game time.

We've seen across the board with Rodgers tactics and poor performance of almost every signing made this season barring Idah, a decline in the numbers of goals and assists from every player except O'Riley.

That has to sit with Rodgers.

But if the right price is offered for him I'd expect Oh is probably sold... think he will have decent enough career

kenniemk2 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  10. murphy88

Get the money and move him on. I actually don’t mind him, but it’s clear he isn’t going to make it here in my opinion.

11. stew37

I quite like him but if he's not going to be played he should be moved. Doesn't seem to be in the plans at all.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If he had huge talent he'd have played a lot more. Rodgers isn't blind and will be seeing what he offers day in day out in training.

Personally I don't see it with him and rarely have. Clumsy, rash in front of goal and lacks intelligence. Similar to Yang in the sense that his footballing brain isn't at the level required never mind other areas.

Would happily sell with a %.

Ryanm1984, Hammy89 and Twisty like this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Punt him and bring idahimovic home. Ohs no where near the standard. I'd argue over half the strikers in the league are better than him.

14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I disagree on Rodgers not being blind. He willingly discarded a CB who was part of a title-winning defense in Sweden and gave us our first win in CL in years. For all his ability as a manager to inspire players, Rodgers isn't keen on giving everyone a fair chance.

Not saying Idah shouldn't be bought. He absolutely should, and then Oh may be let go. But what if Norwich refuse to sell at a reasonable price? Our board dig their heels in as they do on a regular basis, and Rodgers ends up without the big, supporting striker he needs, if he lets Oh leave. He shouldn't write Oh off completely.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If we can’t bring in Idah, Oh is evidently not the answer in his place.

They’ve both played a small amount for Celtic, one is raw and contributed on the fringes the other was pivotal and front and centre for a league and cup double.

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Idah coming in and doing what he did showed that Oh wasn't good enough

Hammy89 likes this.
  17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I like him and think he definitely has potential but Idah has shown he’s the better player overall and scores the goals.

Wouldn’t mind a loan deal for a season in the league to see if he can progress but if we can get the money back and sign Idah & Miovski it’s a no brainer.

18. Onefootwonder

I think he should have got more game time.

He looked like he had some talent, but needed some coaching and confidence.

Dublin Celt and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not even saying we replace him with Idah.

Oh clearly isn't good enough. We as a club need to stop clinging onto hope these guys will come good. He shouldn't have been signed in the fiest place.

Need to up our level of signing.

Additionally on Lagerbielke, clearly again he wasn't targeted by the manager so whether he's talented or not it's Rodgers decision and he's the guy who's delivered a double with a make shift squad for most of the season so he's earned my trust again.

Hammy89 likes this.
  20. celtic warrior

Personally I would keep Oh and loan him out to get regular game time.

Idah has come to us, off the back of already getting ok-ish game time at Norwich, by the time he's come here, he'd already clocked up 1500 odd minutes getting 7 goals for Norwich.

He then comes to us and gets a further 800 minutes and racks up 11 total goal involvements so all in all he's had in excess of 2000 minutes of football in his legs and got 18 goal involvements to show for it.

Game time is critical and I wouldn't want to see Oh sold permanently without first seeing what he can offer when he has a run of minutes like that.

There is also a lot to be said about the cultural and lifestyle adjustments needing to be made for someone like Oh compared to Idah.

I would 1000000% sign Idah regardless, he absolutely deserves his limelight up here with us and earned the move, no debate.

But I'm confident Oh has it about him with regular game time to do well and prefer he is loaned out to the championship or at the very least.

If he does well enough that it ends up on the club offering a good fee for him, so be it... but I'd want him given the same 2000 odd minutes of game time and see where sits

Leone Naka Fan likes this.