1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I reckon he can play either or so as defensive or attacking, think it suits him as a number 8 box to box as even though he’s not quick he presses well high up the pitch can take the ball in hold it up etc and knows when to release it. I’d like him and cal further forward with a wanyama type behind them but that may not happen. We will be losing O’Riley though most likely so I think it’s smart business to get him in permanently to keep strength in the midfield and then look to replace O’Riley

NakamuraTastic and greengrocer like this.
  2. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Aye replacement for MOR. But O'Riley stepped up this season in terms of what a fully fit rogic for a season would do with goals and assists (and blew it out the water!!!). Would like to sign an AM to replace O'Riley to keep that up since more of our goals this season came from central positions whereas anges teams so many goals from the wing

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Controversial perhaps but for me he is the replacement for Hatate. Unfortunately I don’t think Hatate is at the races anymore & I don’t think BR fully rates him either.

McGregor, Bernardo and a top replacement for O’Riley would be my middle 3 ideally

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He'll be someone McGregor trusts as he defends well and holds on to the ball.

Won't need to babyist him like Turnbull playing at the start of the season.

5. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Yeah peak rogic was unbelieavable football tbh. I think Rodgers likes to play with an out and out 10 also so could perhaps see bernardo and mcgregorr sit slightly further back with a pacey-ish 10 in front if bernardo was signed which I’d be all over. Regardless of how we shape up though I think we’d be mad not to sign him as he could play anywhere in midfield I think. He’s quite disciplined and would do a job any position centrally not afraid of the hard work either

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think we'd regret not making him permanent..

7. Foley1888

There will likely be a few things at play here. It’s clear from McGregor and Rodgers comments he is rated at the club. He is still young and has shown glimpses of what he is capable of.

However from the players perspective, he wasn’t a first team regular for most of the season. Would he want to come here if that would continue to be the case?

In addition, will he have other interest? He has done well for Portugal U21 side. Played well in Champions League for us and made an impact in Derby games for us.

For me if we signed him, I would want to see more of the driving run that led to the winning goal at the weekend, the player who was playing lovely through balls around Christmas and New Year. If he can deliver that more regularly then all for signing him.

I do think the price when you include the fact it’s for 70% is expensive. I am actual not against paying the fee mentioned but I would try negotiate down that sell on.

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He’s a 22 year old having his first proper season in first team football. 3 of the best players in Scotland are Hatate, O’Riley and McGregor. The fact he wasn’t a mainstay in the team is neither here nor there really. I think he’s a must sign. He’s shown enough to take the punt on him I reckon and he has a lot of potential.

9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    He got more game time here than he would've done elsewhere.

He'll get even more game time next year. 100%.

10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    This is a bit like when we signed Edouard.

Eddy was a young player who wasn’t necessarily first choice when he was here on loan. Yet we all seen his quality and potential upside. Coupled with some big performances particularly against the Huns. I see Bernardo as in a similar boat.

He would come here next season and thrive as he develops - a £20m+ sale in a few years and then rinse and repeat! £6m is low money in this market.

11. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Exactly. We spent 9 on Eddie. 6 million today doesn't get much and we were * lucky to get jota and ccv at 6/6.5

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I accept that people have differing opinions and it seems like I'm probably in the minority on this occasion. I just don't think he's worth the money.

Fabio Silva plays with him at international youth level, I can guarantee no one wants us to sign him. It's not something to look down on, obviously, but it doesn't guarantee success. I mentioned previously in this thread that Bernardo took over a captaincy from someone who has been punted out on loan 4 times by Benfica and the latest club, Alkmaar, are not taking up the option to sign him for £2.5m. So, while it's not to be dismissed, playing youth international football is the same as anything.

He does have weaknesses mate, come on. I get people think he's worth the money but he clearly has weaknesses. He's wildly inconsistent, his decision making is atrocious at times, and he's been completely out of favour the last few weeks. Barely even been getting on the bench. Don't think he's started a game in weeks.

When you add it all together, £6m for 70% of him? That's just far too expensive for me. I'd pay it if we brought in someone like Gronbaek or someone far more established. I just don't think we will do that, given our history of recruitment. We know O'Riley is away. He's going to go for a huge sum and he will leave a huge hole in that midfield. He's not on O'Rileys level, he's nowhere near it.

I also don't accept that we would struggle to find a more complete player. O'Riley was £1.5m. Hatate was £1.5m. Far better players than Bernardo. It's not about the price, really. It's about where Bernardo fits in at the price we pay and at £6m, he's coming in to be first choice.

I accept that the majority on here want us to sign him and I'm in the minority. I won't be angry that we sign him, far from it. However, I think he will be our O'Riley replacement and that worries me going into a new season.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    was getting first team football in Portugal on loan last season. So was playing first team football before us. He’s got a bit of dig about him

14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We bringing him or yet or wit?

15. FrankMcCallum

Fair enough. I think he has huge upside.

By no weaknesses I meant that he already has a good base level for every attribute required to be a complete central midfielder, which is uncommon.

He doesn’t have any glaring deficiencies, but obviously has plenty room for improvement.

16. Luz1904

He is one of the 9 Portuguese u21s training with 7 of the Portuguese players called-up to the Euro (José Sá, Nélson Semedo, António Silva, João Palhinha, João Neves, Pedro Neto and Diogo Jota), at the Portuguese national team hearquarters.

[​IMG]

The remaining team for the Euro will join this Sunday.

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would pay that asking price. Saw something in him towards end of season and reckon he could push on next season, just the right age too. No bedding in period either.

Tommy25 and neilly1987 like this.
  18. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Hope he laughed in Fabio Silvas stupid wee face.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are reportedly in talk with Benfica to negotiate a "smaller" fee for Paulo Bernardo.

The midfielder has brought the curtain down on season-long loan from the Lisbon giants with a Premiership and Scottish Cup winners medal in his pocket - but the future of the 22-year-old remains up in the air. The loan contract between Celtic and Benfica includes a clause that means a £6million bid would be enough to bring the Portugal U21 international back to Glasgow's east end on a permanent basis

A report in Portugal has now claimed that Celtic are not willing to meet the option-to-buy clause for the midfielder as it stands. Bernardo scored in a crucial New Year victory over Rangers in the Premiership race while playing a pivotal role in securing the Scottish Cup with his impact of the bench - while also gaining experience in the Champions League featuring in all six of the team’s group-stage matches.

However, he has not been a regular stater for most of the season. A Bola report that the Scottish champions are in talks over buying Bernardo for a "smaller" fee. It is said the two parties are still "trying to negotiate" a deal

Captain Callum McGregor is among Bernardo's admirers, stating: "He has big technical quality, he is a young kid who wants to do well. So that is the type of profile we want at the club. Hopefully we can bring him back. He is a great lad as well. He works ever so hard and he is a part of the group we have got

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Know whit, I’ve been undecided because I still feel his role needs defined properly but * it he’s shown in flashes he’s got class and if that’s good enough for Cal it’s good enough for me.